Oldest movies you've seen?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
What are the oldest movies you've seen?

I've seen Nosferatu (1922)
I've seen that one as well and quoted it in a fan-parody making fun of Twilight. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I think that may be the oldest movie I've seen (not counting the recording Garden Party shown on either Game Overthinker or, Big Picture). My favorite old movie though is 12 Angry Men. No idea what year it was released and can't be bothered to check out imdb.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Nihilanth said:
OneCatch said:
Zenron said:
Citizen Kane for me. I don't generally watch many really old movies. Will probably watch Metropolis some point soon though, and that's 1927 I think.
Yeah, Metropolis is the earliest on my shelf (filmed in 1925-26, released in early 1927 I think). It's really good though - get hold of the remastered version if you can - it incorporates some of the lost reels that were found in 2005, which add a fair bit to the story.
This is the earliest film I've seen. I felt that the repetitive music got annoying somewhere towards the end, but it's still the groundstone of scifi films.
Yeah, I agree the music is a little too... strident. I guess that's cause we're often used to slightly more subtle audio cues nowadays - I find a lot of older film's soundtracks distracting to say the least.

Either way, it's still a really good film!

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I've seen the very first motion picture... so that I guess. But its not really a movie I suppose, just a clip of a horse running.

Feb 18, 2009
Narfo said:
Throne of Blood and Twelve Angry Men (both 1957)
The first is basically Macbeth but in feudal Japan, and the second follows twelve jurors as they decide the fate of a young man.
Both very good movies, both highly recommended.
But both of those are beaten by the greatest movie ever:
Duck Soup (1933)
Marx Brothers for the win.
I remember watching Throne of Blood in a school assembly. I found it hilarious because the opening sequence has men riding in and out of fog for a good 20 minutes with no context or fighting. I imagine it's meant to be the part where Macbeth cleaves a bloke from 'nave to chops' or something like that. Disappointing lack of cleavage though. In the cleaving sense.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I've seen most of Alexander Nevsky from 1938. Can't remember much of it though, other than it being pretty good considering how old it is.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
The Wizard of Oz (1939).

Yeah... I can't think of anything earlier than that and I only watched it because the rest of my family watches it like, every year.
I'm not much of a movie goer.

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
I caught the 1920s version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, starring John Barrymore (Drew Barrymore's grandfather) on TV a few years back. I think that's the oldest I've seen all of. I was thinking it'd be Battleship Potemkin, but Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde predates it by 5 years.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Beat several times over already, but the oldest film I've (fully) seen is 'Gone With The Wind'(1939)

bernardblack

Apr 24, 2012
A Trip to the Moon (1903) and Citizen Kane (1941). Didn't really care for Citizen Kane, a Trip to the Moon was very interesting though.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure. Have some horror box with tons of old, bad movies. Only watched a few passively since there's no subtitles and the sound quality is awful. Think most of them were from the 30's-60's. Also seen a bit of Nosferatu, but it didn't get much attention from me either(cursed ADD tendencies, I need action and color!).

Guess the only one I actually remember well is Casablanca.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I saw 'The Great Train Robbery' (1903) as part of a film history module in Media Studies, though for actual feature length films, the earliest I've seen is probably 'His Girl Friday' (1940) which I think holds up pretty well. :)

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
While I can't say for sure which one it is, they were playing these silent, black and white serials on tv once based on The Three Musketeers. It would be somewhere up the top of this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers_in_film

It was...interesting, seeing how far we've come in terms of production values. I remember at one point one of the musketeers bursts into a room through a window made of cardboard. It was hilarious.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
I've seen "The Great Train Robbery" (1903), which is more interesting for the history behind it than the film itself. Additionally, there's the films of Fritz Lang, such as "M" (1930), "Metropolis" (1927), and "Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler" (1922) . Then there's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928), which is perhaps my favorite silent film ever. Finally, there's a sizable chunk of Marx Brothers movies, like "Duck Soup" (1933) and "A Night at the Opera" (1935). Those movies are just as funny now as they were 70-80 years ago.

Guffe said:
I've seen a movie about the moon which was really old but can't remember the year (it was also really short).
Then the ones I can actually remember, star wars IV, Spagetthi Western...
"A Trip to the Moon" (1902), perhaps?

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Saw Metropolis (1927) not too long ago. I think that's the oldest 'film' I've seen. Like others I've seen a few of those little 3 second clips from the late 1800's and early 1900's but I don't really remember the names of them.