Oldest system you stil play

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:
Reality. The game is very hardcore. Everyone who plays it dies no matter what. There is no saving, loading or restarting. Well some gamers believe there is restarting as a different character later in the timeline but then you have amnesia when you begin again (how cliche amnesia) so it really doesn't make a difference. The game is gorgeous and looks very realistic. It is extremely complex. It even contains all the other systems that ever come out. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealLife Nobody really knows the ending when you die. Some believe you get rewarded or punished based on your actions. Some believe your game ceases to exist completely.
Yeah, but it has a nine month loading time once you press start and the lag is just horrible in most places...
Actually no, the brain of the character is actually loading at a much faster pace in that time frame than the character later on. Just that that there is so much lag in the intelligence later they have a hard time even noticing how fast paced the early lives of the various players in these games are. =D Just look up a neuroscience or psychological studies of how much the brain grows in a baby and toddler especially when compared to being older. They learn so much more so quickly than we now do. Thus it is our brains suffering from lag and this lag makes it even difficult to realize we are the ones with bad loading times!
Yeah but it's really feckin' hard and apparently the designers were to hoity-toity to give us a damn tutorial at the start

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:
Reality. The game is very hardcore. Everyone who plays it dies no matter what. There is no saving, loading or restarting. Well some gamers believe there is restarting as a different character later in the timeline but then you have amnesia when you begin again (how cliche amnesia) so it really doesn't make a difference. The game is gorgeous and looks very realistic. It is extremely complex. It even contains all the other systems that ever come out. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealLife Nobody really knows the ending when you die. Some believe you get rewarded or punished based on your actions. Some believe your game ceases to exist completely.
Yeah, but it has a nine month loading time once you press start and the lag is just horrible in most places...
Actually no, the brain of the character is actually loading at a much faster pace in that time frame than the character later on. Just that that there is so much lag in the intelligence later they have a hard time even noticing how fast paced the early lives of the various players in these games are. =D Just look up a neuroscience or psychological studies of how much the brain grows in a baby and toddler especially when compared to being older. They learn so much more so quickly than we now do. Thus it is our brains suffering from lag and this lag makes it even difficult to realize we are the ones with bad loading times!
Yeah but it's really feckin' hard and apparently the designers were to hoity-toity to give us a damn tutorial at the start
Well, it is odd, some of the stuff comes across much easier than it would if we were just pure blank slates such as eating and walking so in a sense there is a bit of an unconscious tutorial in an odd way . We are also too weak to survive compared to other animals for a while thus in a sense we have a much longer tutorial than other creatures. Especially in first world countries today, some spend decades before heading out on their own. Our tutorials are huge. But at the same time our brain does all this growing before then to prepare for it.

From the start it is like having super duper mental powers with some subconscious/unconscious guidance for like the first few years that sets the system up for the tutorial that can last anywhere from like I guess five years to decades after we are a bit mentally weaker. We keep getting weaker and weaker but there is more structure then to make up for the weaker ability. Once some basic structure begins the tutorial begins.

Like I said real life is complicated. It makes any PC game look simple.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:
Well, it is odd, some of the stuff comes across much easier than it would if we were just pure blank slates such as eating and walking so in a sense there is a bit of an unconscious tutorial in an odd way . We are also too weak to survive compared to other animals for a while thus in a sense we have a much longer tutorial than other creatures. Especially in first world countries today, some spend decades before heading out on their own. Our tutorials are huge. But at the same time our brain does all this growing before then to prepare for it.

From the start it is like having super duper mental powers with some subconscious/unconscious guidance for like the first few years that sets the system up for the tutorial that can last anywhere from like I guess five years to decades after we are a bit mentally weaker. We keep getting weaker and weaker but there is more structure then to make up for the weaker ability. Once some basic structure begins the tutorial begins.

I just meant like, an instruction manual. "To find well paying job do X, Y, Z in that order"
"While in bed, hit her weak spot for massive orgasm, etc."

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
supermetroid on the SNES is one of the greatest games ever devised.

i <3 me some snes.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:

I just meant like, an instruction manual. "To find well paying job do X, Y, Z in that order"
How many people would read an instruction manual in the first place? I mean even those that believe that there is a guide by the creator itself/himself/herself actually bother to read them? But I guess those manuals are so confusingespecially with how things change in reality over time that they make any manual that came out for all the other games seem easy to understand anyway.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Dreamcast. The newest console I own. Jet Grind Radio still rocks my world. ^^

Kedos

Mar 21, 2011
pen and paper supported by epic human voice narration, can't find a older system than that.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:

How many people would read an instruction manual in the first place? I mean even those that believe that there is a guide by the creator itself/himself/herself actually bother to read them? But I guess those manuals are so confusingespecially with how things change in reality over time that they make any manual that came out for all the other games seem easy to understand anyway.
Fair enough. But I will say this: We are in desperate need of some very large patches. And I've been waiting for that "Outer space" expansion pack for what, 45 years or so?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
quick question: Can a Sega Genesis play Sega Master System games?
Yes, but you need an adapter for it.

Also, I WOULD play my 64, but it won't work anymore ;-; I need to get it fixed. I guess the oldest non-PC system I play is... the Wii. The oldest GAMES I play are NES games, which I play both on my Wii and my Dingoo.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
febel said:
thenamelessloser said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Nintendo 64.

thenamelessloser said:

Fair enough. But I will say this: We are in desperate need of some very large patches. And I've been waiting for that "Outer space" expansion pack for what, 45 years or so?
Space is probably available just that humanity hasn't leveled up its skills and knowledge enough in order to get there. It is like the upside down castle in Castlevania Symphony of the night. Once we know how to get there in a cost effective way then it will open up much more but it doesn't mean that we can't get there or that it isn't there. We are at the stage now that we know there is an upside down castle but we don't know how to get there without using tons of resources and how to get that far within that upside down castle. I mean the difficulty leap of travelling in space or the upside down castle is fairly large.

There may be no need of patches if Liebnez is right that we live in the best of all possible worlds.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Right now it's the Dreamcast, because I'm constantly playing either KOF or a host of other fighting games on it.

Robo-Penguin

Oct 8, 2009
Each year it is a tradition to go through the Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Superstar with my best friend. Even after my children's children die, the SNES will still work if there are TV connections for it.

Bezz_Ad

Apr 4, 2011
I still have my NES somewhere.
But I still play sometimes with the N64. Super Smash Bros. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. Good times.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Does Emulator count? I've been rocking some Crono Trigger on a SNES emu recently. Really wish I'd had a SNES growing up.