oldschool?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Meh, oldschool, like most other gaming terminology, has a meaning up for debate. Some people, like this guy over at X-Play, seems to think oldschool is 2004. Some people think it's PS1/PSX. Some people think it's Pac-Man. I'm not gonna bother explaining my view, but let it be said that I really don't think that people will have a consensus on this... I suppose we agree to disagree.

Airhead

May 8, 2008
Old games fall into obscurity much faster than old movies or music, because in the movies pretty much the only radical changes are the neat new SFX, and in music, well, not that much change there. People invented electric guitars and electronic keyboards a while ago, yet nobody calls them `oldschool` yet. But when it comes to games - sound, graphics and gameplay change rapidly over time and titles from just a few years back are already dated. I wouldn`t call 2004 games `oldschool` or even `old` (mostly because I was forced to play even older titles until recently, thanks to my crappy hardware), but some people might have already forgotten about them. The young folks these days have no respect for the classics :p.

Papaya Melancholy

Apr 6, 2008
I think it's fair to say that this flow chart works.

NOW SCHOOL
/
\
v
JUST A WHILE AGO SCHOOL
/
\
v
OLD SCHOOL
/
\
v
EVEN OLDER ETC

So, the trend/console after last is old school. This is my thinking.

EDIT: person who posted right above me, I think it's fair to say that 80's/early 90's synthesisers are pretty old school.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Well games like Everyday Shooter include 'old school' elements; does that make me wannabe retro? Like teenagers who visit Hot Topic for their 'punk' gear like Hello Kitty headbands?

MichaelH

May 9, 2008
Duck Hunt? Star Wars arcade? You kids with your fancy graphics and crazy joystickery. Zork, now that's a game...

Since Madden 2004 is just Madden 1989 with different players and better graphics, isn't EVERY Madden game old-school?

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
My first home system was an Amiga 500. Turrican and Rainbow Islands, baby! Though I started off with stuff like The New Zealand Story and Operation: Thunderbolt.

-Nick

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Mr. Angry on the commodore 64 anyone? Skool Daze on the Spectrum? Also across both platforms, Blue Max, Elite, Ghostbusters. Now that's old skool stuff.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
VRaptorX said:
OK...yes Pong and Space invaders are older.....so let's just say open space/space war and get the grandaddy of them all.
Seconded. I say we throw down on some Computer Space...Spacewar! actually required a PDP-1 computer and enrollment at an Ivey league school to play.

Or, if you want to go really old school, play the first "Nintendo" product; Hanafuda cards, made by Nintendo Koppai, baby!

weirdaljedifan2

Apr 12, 2008
2004? Old school? HA!!!

To me, the only thing "old school" in gaming is any game that came out in the '80s and '90s (counting Super Smash Bros., 1999) and anything in the '70s is, you guessed it, "Ye Olde School"

Mar 26, 2008
number2301 said:
Mr. Angry on the commodore 64 anyone? Skool Daze on the Spectrum? Also across both platforms, Blue Max, Elite, Ghostbusters. Now that's old skool stuff.
Word!

Head Over Heels on the C64 is quite possibly the hardest game ever.

T0r012

Mar 26, 2008
MichaelH said:
Duck Hunt? Star Wars arcade? You kids with your fancy graphics and crazy joystickery. Zork, now that's a game...
ahh a true old schooler here ... zork was he bomb. just a couple of months ago I went looking for a site where I could get Zork.
I would love to load my old copy but I can't seem to find a 5&1/4 floppy drive.

Maveric1984

May 14, 2008
I can't compete with a bunch of you guys, but I will say that my first game system was a Sega Master System my mom bought me when I was 3. I still remember playing the first After Burner and Quartet as a kid.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
head over heels hardest game ever?

I gotta say that Out of this world is. Damn you Lester for being so freaking useless. I actually beat Battletoads and I can't even get far past escaping the cage in OotW

Mar 26, 2008
VRaptorX said:
head over heels hardest game ever?

I gotta say that Out of this world is. Damn you Lester for being so freaking useless. I actually beat Battletoads and I can't even get far past escaping the cage in OotW
Out Of This World I actually finished, HoH I did not. I think it depends on what you played it on as I hear OotW was harder on certain formats.
I forgot about Battletoads; I gave up on that halfway through.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
Only really can't win without cheating part was the level with the orb chasing you. Really, only way to beat that is to pause at each turn and then set yourself up.