OLED Switch Announced

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm sorry, but what part of "It's been seventeen years!" do you have trouble understanding? The only one of Nintendo's systems of those past years to get a power boost was the 3DS and this is how many games utilized it: eight. It was a complete wash. There is basically no basis for the idea of Nintendo doing a "Pro" version other than tech junkies WANTING it to be so and not comprehending that most people don't care about power, they're fine with the system as it is.

Seriously, get off of gaming Youtube more. It is brain poison, it is an insular, elitist community that doesn't get what is going on with the larger population. Video game "insiders" have always had this problem of making shit up and basing disappointment off their artificial hype is not okay. The Switch is doing fine, in fact it's got a few more years ahead of it. So maybe third parties should learn to optimize instead of whining about needing extra juice to disguise their sloppy coding.

And even without that, there's the other thing: the chip shortage. Nintendo can't just make parts appear out of thin air, it would asinine to make a Pro because they'd be competing for parts not just with Sony and MS, but basically every tech industry on the planet.
1. A lot of games don't run very well on the Switch, including Nintendo first party games. There are plenty of games on the Switch that cannot maintain 30fps at 1080p, which these days is basically unacceptable.

2. What about the chip shortage? These are new consoles, they're still being made with new chips. It frankly doesn't matter that it's an older chip design, it's the same amount of effort for Nintendo to source older slower chips. It's not like they're getting these chips on the second hand market and then refurbishing them into Switches.

Basically, this is a pointless nothing refresh. If they weren't going to do any kind of serious redesign addressing the issues of the Switch (they didn't even bother to fix the joycons, and that's something they've already been sued over) then they should have just left it as is.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Here is a video from a developer of Switch games, talking about concerns and problems with the Switch and the new model.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Not gonna lie, the actually usable kickstand is pretty tempting.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
So no 4K? Not even 2K...

Okay... What's the point other than of course to make more money.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean if you dont already have a switch. I see no reason not to just get this version when it comes out.
I do already have a switch, but I also expect to want another eventually. I've put a lot of wear on mine, and the Nintendium is gonna give at some point.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I hope this comes out for this winter, time passes faster in the plane with a new Nintendo :D

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Once more the chucklefucks spurred on the hype, and the folks let themselves get caught up in the hype, and in the end all got burned by the hype. So, once more...

I must not hype.
Hype is the mind-killer.
Hype is the little death that brings inflated expectations.
I will face the hype.
I will allow it to pass over me and through me.
When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
Where the hype was there will be nothing. Only good games remain.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Once more the chucklefucks spurred on the hype, and the folks let themselves get caught up in the hype, and in the end all got burned by the hype. So, once more...

I must not hype.
Hype is the mind-killer.
Hype is the little death that brings inflated expectations.
I will face the hype.
I will allow it to pass over me and through me.
When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
Where the hype was there will be nothing. Only good games remain.
Honestly, it's not even mostly hype at this point. It's just delusional fans keep constantly lying to themselves and keep taking the bait from all these articles and haven't learned a damn thing like last time. I appreciate the efforts dude, but these knuckleheaded imbeciles will never learn. If they're too stupid to figure it out at this point, that's their own problem. Kotaku and certain others (YouTube "analysts" especially) aren't Innocent either, but the Nintendo fans make this way too easy.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There's nothing wrong with being excited for things but you have to set reasonable expectations of what things will be and not take unconfirmed reports as 100% factual. (E.G. I'm excited for the next FFXIV expansion, because I've played the game a lot and know what kind of content I'll get in the expansion.) Also, never assume that because a problem exists with a product that a company will necessarily go out of their way to fix it in hardware revisions.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Seriously, get off of gaming Youtube more. It is brain poison, it is an insular, elitist community that doesn't get what is going on with the larger population. Video game "insiders" have always had this problem of making shit up and basing disappointment off their artificial hype is not okay. The Switch is doing fine, in fact it's got a few more years ahead of it. So maybe third parties should learn to optimize instead of whining about needing extra juice to disguise their sloppy coding.
Gotta appreciate the irony of ripping on brainless Youtubers, while at the same calling third parties to "just optimize your code lol 4head".

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Looks like this Switch is all Nintendo is doing for a long time to come.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Looks like this Switch is all Nintendo is doing for a long time to come.
"We have no further plans at this time" is the standard corporate reply to that kind of question, and it doesn't really mean anything beyond Nintendo not wanting to make any official statement on whatever their plans are until they feel it is opportune to do so. I mean, they basically said the same when the revision of the regular Switch released, and ditto for the Lite.

i'd file this under "wait and see". Until then, don't fret.