OLEDs Could be the Future of Board Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
OLEDs Could be the Future of Board Games

Two smartypants have demonstrated how awesome board games may become in the next decade.

Michael Rooke and Roel Vertegaal from the Human Media Lab at Queen's University in Ontario, Canada have put together a video showing off their concept for the future of board games. The demonstration uses an overhead camera and a projection system, but ultimately the system would use technology like OLEDs (Organic Light Emitting Diodes), which are thin, flexible displays that do not require a backlight.

Don't let the words "tangible graphics on hexagonal bezel-less screens" confuse you, that's just another way to say that Rook and Vertegaal are doing some cool stuff with tile-based gaming. Each hexagonal tile used here becomes its own individual piece for a game, and when that piece is put in a certain relation to other pieces, specific effects can occur. I didn't think this was that mind-blowing at first, until I saw one tile pour right into another one.

For tile based games, putting a piece next to another could initiate an attack. Pouring a tile, as shown, could move a unit from one space to another. In an estimated 5-10 years, this kind of technology may be possible on a much grander scale, allowing for electronic games to be played while sitting around a table. Imagine a game of Monopoly where all of the pieces are OLEDs, and you can see the type of cool stuff that might be possible in the semi-near future.

This demonstration is very similar to the interactive version of "DisplayObjects" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95570-Dungeons-Dragons-Brought-to-Life-Using-a-Microsoft-Surface-Table], which would allow a single OLED screen to change its function between multiple devices on the fly (such as from an iPod to a Blackberry). Pretty incredible.

(Via: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5457196/what-nerd-games-will-look-like-in-the-future])

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
If something like this replaces my whole warhammer army I've spent probably weeks of time painstakingly painting... I'd be a little anoyed...

But then it would be soooo much more awesome! So much more so that I doubt I'd care if I had to re-buy my whole army.

I can't wait to see where this goes.

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
I was thinking this could be applied to a tabletop RTS. Sure it may get a little hectic but imagine the possibilities.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Hey, Jamiroquai! Nerd points for me. I still don't get how this isn't a video game. Couldn't you just do the same thing with 80s style table top arcade games? Those things were the best.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I want to see Zombies!!! [http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/] Played with that technology! That would be awesome!

Or a Civilization Board game that did most of the work for you!

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Astounding. I look forward to seeing more developments with this stuff, although it means I'll need to buy Axis & Allies again.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
If this is what board games will look like in the future I would very much like to see and be excited about what our video games will be.

On a minor note if any company ever wants to reproduce that holographic chess game that you see in the (4th?)Star Wars movie I would be willing to spend every penny to buy it...ever since seeing that thing when I was a kid I desperately wanted to play a game.

...Let the wookiee win

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i hate to bring this up but what if there is no electricity ? that is why board games were invented , cheap entertainment

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Interesting, but not as engaging to me as the Microsoft Surface Dungeons And Dragons thing.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
jimduckie said:
gee i hate to bring this up but what if there is no electricity ? that is why board games were invented , cheap entertainment
Luckily for you, this will not deactivate your scrabble & monopoly units.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Tangible graphics on hexagonal bezel-less screens, board games featuring OLED display enabled tiles, all of this is common technology.

In the twilight zone.
DOO DOO DOO DOO, DOO DOO DOO DOO, [small]DOO DOO DOO DOO, DOO DOO DOO DOO[/small]
Am I the only person who thinks the guy narrating this video sounds like Rod Serling?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!

Tabletop games sure can use some more explosions. What would be truly cool though, is to have a tabletop RTS.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Xzi said:
That looks incredible! I just hope board games like that don't end up being some $500.
The OLED technology will have to become easier to produce and thus cheaper first before this takes off I think.