OLEDs Could be the Future of Board Games

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
scotth266 said:
Interesting, but not as engaging to me as the Microsoft Surface Dungeons And Dragons thing.
It looks like it will be much less expensive. Although I don't know how much those OLEDs will cost.

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
This technology will probably still need some kind of special surface to play on. sure that tiles are capable of displaying complex 3d images, but where is the computational power coming from? the energy scource? I find it unikely that they can put all the data and resouces to play a complex game on a card no bigger than a cup coaster.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Holy shit. I'm now a little moist.

About ten years ago when I used to play Games Workshop I always used to imagine what it would be like to not have to painstakingly paint individual models - to play a great game without a heavy padded case of things more fragile than glass.

Awesome. Settlers, is still awesome.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
I don't think Catan is that bad to set up...nor would this really benefit a game like Catan but I guess it could lead to some pretty cool stuff.

But then again, we'll see where the industry takes it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Looks promising but I think I'll prefer my boardgames to be just wood and no technology. But hey, if it helps a new generation of kids to start using their hands and learn physically with objects I'm all for it.

Feb 18, 2009
Feels like the future is right here. Amazing.
Although, I will miss my cardboard tiles and plastic chips and wooden figurines. The joy of carrying around shitloads of small components can never be replaced.

Instead of remaking old games, one day I would like to see this technology used to develop whole new kinds of board games.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Huh. The video ended in kind of a weird spot. Anyways, yep I could totally see myself investing in something like this. Having to buy myself a projector just to play a board game though...

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
That is really cool, but I think it misses one of the crucial selling points of board games IMO. Namely, the ability to make up your own rules, or change the base rules as you see fit. Everybody I know does this with most board games they play, at least a little bit. A certain rule is cumbersome, or leads to a boring game state, or they think it's annoying, etc. Can you do that if it's essentially a computer enforcing the rules, as I understand it?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Interesting - looks cool, though I imagine they'll be as overpriced as Warhammer models are today ;).

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Void(null) said:
I want to see Zombies!!! [http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/] Played with that technology! That would be awesome!
Epic epic win, I never even thought of that! I've got the game and the first 3.5 expansions gathering dust because I have never, ever found enough floor space to actually set it up.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Void(null) said:
I want to see Zombies!!! [http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/] Played with that technology! That would be awesome!
Epic epic win, I never even thought of that! I've got the game and the first 3.5 expansions gathering dust because I have never, ever found enough floor space to actually set it up.
Thats a real shame, its such a great game to play with friends. The amount of screwing each other that goes on near the end is hilarious.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Only if it's in 3D...

And what the hell is a OLED? I know all about LEDs, are they different???