Olympic President Calls Videogames "Screen Tyranny"

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
Instead of Steroids in videogames we have adoral and methamphetamines. *shrug*

Ragweed

Jan 18, 2008
I'm not quite sure what he's larking on about. On campus it's the most common thing in the world for a group of guys to play a couple rounds of Halo/Counterstrike/what have you after coming in off the rugby pitch. Sure, these people aren't really what I'd label "gamers", but they certainly not being drawn away from their sport by the flashy, beeping box in the corner of their dorm.

And if we're going to play the "achievement" card, there's just as much success to finally beating the last boss of a game as their is in being able to run in a circle faster than anybody else.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
The answer is achievement. You will never achieve in a videogame.
Jacques must have a PS3 and not a 360.
I actually LOL'd at that...

And as for the actual arguement: Maybe Mr Rogge would like to play COD4, Halo, Final Fantasy, God of War, or pretty much any game, at Normal+, and tell me it doesn't require "austerity and discipline".

PS: I'm not implying that the average gamer is as skilled as Olympic athletes, but that there is a level of commitment, skill, and determination needed to be really good at video games. It's a different playing field, and he has no right to dismiss it, just becuase it's on a screen.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Athletics and videogames are very different fields of endeavour (and you're welcome for pointing that out) and I'm loathe to get involved in the debate too much because I have a particularly powerful dislike for the Olympics and Olympic athletes. But I'm compelled to say this: I think the very idea of professional videogaming is laughable and in many ways I share his sentiment about "achieving" in videogames. And I feel precisely the same way about slalom canoeing, archery and individual dressage. Somebody needs to introduce Mr. Rogge to Mr. Kettle.

Incandescence

Feb 26, 2008
Malygris said:
Rogge has asked each of the 3500 participants in the Youth Games to link personal blogs to MySpace [http://www.facebook.com]and other social networks in order to reach a wide audience of kids.
Ironic, to try to draw youths away from the distractions of video games towards the distractions of sports through the much greater distractions of social networking. Fight fire with fire?

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
well isn't that the pot calling the kettle slightly hot. The onlympic commitee were dicks to Paralympics, Those who bat for the other team (gay people), and in general you can pay them to win a medal

I call asswipe

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
arse said:
You will never achieve in a videogame
My gamerscore says otherwise.

Seriously, people play game and make money from it. You can make money playing video games, not a huge amount but enough to call it income (if you are say final boss). Sport is important, not arguing that, but that doesn't make video games evil.

Hell video games have all it takes to become major sport, look at korea.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
This man will be swallowing his words when Starcraft 2 becomes a recognised sport. And it will, when South Korea holds the next Olympics it will.

The man does make some points, more kids are spending too much time playing videogames instead of sports and are gaining weight as a result. The man clearly knows nothing about gaming, profesional or casual and therefore he should not be giving his opinions on videogames.

I find it ironic that he has set up a Youth Olympic program on websites such as Facebook and Myspace. He can't see anything wrong with people spending their time on a website but as soon as games are involved they become lazy failures.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So tell me, where exactly is the achiement in knowing that you managed to devour more steroids then the other people deemed politicaly/financialy profitable enough to be invited?

The piece of aluminium with yellow paint? I could make one in about a week's time if i cared about that vision of achievements.

The money? Allow me to introduce about half the korean population, who also earned money by playing a videogame that "can not achieve".

You sir just earned an olympic gold medal in doucebaggery.

zool13

May 22, 2008
All right, I'm sick of hearing about this drug issue with Olympic athletes and steroids. These people train for years to be able to compete in these games, we shouldn't make generalizations about them as people, as much fun as that can be. We should be concerned with the statement from Mr. Rogge rather than the condition of the athletes, which is the point of this blog.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
sammyfreak said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
xMacx said:
I took his statement to suggest that Olympic-level physical activities require a level of dedication from atheletes to develop their bodies before acquiring the sport's skill (i.e., you can't be the greatest diver unless you've also maximized the muscles required for diving).

In contrast, games are about acquiring skill with no requirement of physical ability. Not nearly the same thing.
Then again, the Olympics give the same medal to the both the person who wins the badminton competition and the person who wins the decathlon.
Badminton is probably the most hardcore sport in the world. Period.
Second to cricket. And I'm not talking about the guys on the field.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
I'm not going to listen to the opinion of a guy who considers TABLE TENNIS a real sport.
Seriously, even a pro gamer is better than a ping-pong champ.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Malygris said:
I think the very idea of professional videogaming is laughable and in many ways I share his sentiment about "achieving" in videogames. And I feel precisely the same way about slalom canoeing, archery and individual dressage.
You left out curling.

Seriously, what's up with that?