On Cowboys

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
It took me a while to identify everybody. The Serenity crew was relatively easy, that guy from Cowboy Bebop I only know from sfdebris' reviews and the guy with the red hair is, I assume, Joss Whedon. Yeah, they say that explaining the joke destroys it, but piecing it together yourself isn't much better.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
The Wooster said:
That would probably be because the episodes.

Glibness aside though, I think CB's episodic structure is what makes it so brilliant. Like most of Watanabe's work, it's a mashup of multiple genres, which is reflected in the very wide range of storylines (some of which are good enough to drive entire seasons of lesser shows). The actual story-driven, Spike vs Vicious stuff is actually the weakest part of the series, imo.
I think it just comes down to a combination of personal tastes and new technology. Since the invention of the DVD and the popularisation of the DVD box set it has become possible to watch entire series in only a few sittings. The kinds of series that benefit from this kind of treatment are the ones that play out like novels. Thus, series like The Wire, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad have been allowed to flourish in this new market.
Cowboy Bebop on the other hand is distinctly episodic and works best if episodes are watched in isolation. If this was something that I would be watching one a week, I would probably love it. However, my exposure to anime has always been through extended sittings of multiple episodes at any one time. Thus, it has been those series that have been able to effectively execute the 'grand narrative' that I have enjoyed the most. For example, series like 'Crest of the Stars', 'Infinite Ryvius', or 'Now and then, Here and There'.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
StormShaun said:
Please Erin, don't do anything to Spike Spiegel.
He's one of the only Cowboys in fiction to not be presented like this!

Erin ... plz.
Don't kill my childhood!
While I get the hate against the whole Yaoi thing, I'd still most likely watch this anyway just for the appeal of seeing Spike on the Serenity. :p

Captcha: Two Hands: Sorry, need to sit on mine :p

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Meh, Outlaw Star was better.

COME AT ME BRO!

Butt cereal folks, you should be used to awkward slash fiction having been on the internet for more than 5 minutes.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
You hear that? Thats the sound of thousands of fans either jizzing their pants or or projectile vomiting.

I'm more in the WTF? group.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Fifty-One said:
A psychic assassin and a genius Welsh Corgi. Overpowered.
nerf inc

Can I assume that was Joss in the last panel?

I'd love to see a Marvel style build-up of Firefly and Beebop movies leading up to a crossover with the Beebop going after the Serenity crew for a bounty, of course it ending up with them working together when the Alliance tries to screw Jet, Spike, and the rest out of the bounty, and the movie ending with the two crews docked together after defeating/getting away from the Alliance cruiser(s). The Beebop guys don't get the bounty, but the crews have a big meal together, so at least they get some new friends and a good meal out of it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm just thinking of all the funny bits of dialogue between Ed and Kalie in such a crossover. Or Ed and Ein getting in a fight with River about Computer Hacking. And oh, what shenanigans will Faye and Inara get up to?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
While I get the hate against the whole Yaoi thing, I'd still most likely watch this anyway just for the appeal of seeing Spike on the Serenity. :p

Captcha: Two Hands: Sorry, need to sit on mine :p
True, true ... but if we did cut the yaoi part out and left in a bad-ass crossover between this two.
Would it be an animated movie/series where the original FF crew do voices ... or would it be a realtime movie/series, but then who would play Spike?

Who is awesome enough to play that character I wonder.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Ha ha ha ha .. oh wow, this one made me laugh for a solid 2 minutes because of Erin's expression while stating what she wants to do with our beloved character from Cowboy Bebop .. *whew*

Also that man in bed has a very calm expression for someone that had their house broken in and the 'intruder' is trying to make their life go on a risky path with choices.

... Choices.
That was Joss Whedon. Honestly I'm surprised Dr. Horrible didn't make an entrance.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
PunkRex said:
Meh, Outlaw Star was better.

COME AT ME BRO!

Butt cereal folks, you should be used to awkward slash fiction having been on the internet for more than 5 minutes.
On one hand Cowboy Bebop had great episodes that allow them to experiment witg each episodes in a number of genre based ways, on the other hand Outlaw Star has Aisha Clan Clan so I guess they tie

Also if Erin is getting cowboys I highly suggest she gets Johnny JoeStar

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Space Dandy deserves to get in on this somehow.

Seriously if you like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop, you NEED to be watching Space Dandy.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that something like this had actually happened to Joss Whedon.

Also, you know what this sci-fi mashup needs? Some representatives from games and literature. Make it a four-way between Mal, Spike, Commander Shephard, and Takeshi Kovacs, and it probably be the sexiest thing ever in the history of sexy things.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Paul Gauguin said:
My eyes close and uncomprehendingly see the dream in the infinite space that stretches away, elusive, before me.
I'm guessing the little text beneath the panels refer to this?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Cory, Grey, I don't have a Twitter account. Is it weird and/or creepy that I still visit yours daily?

Call me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Barciad said:
Cowboy Bebop had it's moments. It was a touch overhyped and felt a bit insubstantial, not to mention episodic.
Well, it's made of episodes. They can feel more or less disjointed but "episodic" would be true of every TV show ever.