On Generic Games

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
It's all about finding the balance between just releasing story shooters and just releasing mindless shooters

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
Wait, what? A little over a month after your tirade against Nintendo for the "popcorn nothing" of Wii Sports Resort, you're now advocating arcade-style "shooty fun" games? What are you looking for?

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
WraithGadra said:
Wait, what? A little over a month after your tirade against Nintendo for the "popcorn nothing" of Wii Sports Resort, you're now advocating arcade-style "shooty fun" games? What are you looking for?
The great Yahtzee will never be satisfied.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Technically, I think The Punisher is that kind of mindless FPS... And because of that, is bland as sh*t.

Your idea of a game is probably good for about 30 minutes, once the novelty of making several thousands, yet identical upper bodies move in one direction while lower bodies move in another direction.

That is why games like PAIN fail to my eyes. Once you get tired of slingshoting George Takei through a city model, you begin to wonder if 10 bucks where worthy for the a cool concept demo...

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
Weird, Aaa... was exactly the game that popped into my mind at the end of the first page, low and behold it's on the second. I've been playing for quite a bit, it does seem to do pure simplistic fun while being easy to learn and harder to master.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone remember Black? once you ignore the barely-there story, it's the closest thing to a for-the-hell-of-it shooter I've played in the last 5 years.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
I agree with what you think about AaaaAAAaaa... A reckless disregard for gravity. I think it's fun and veeery original. Also the 99999999 references and jokes all around are very cool.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jim Grim said:
I'd probably get indredibly bored of the game you described incredibly quickly.
This. Oh, it'd be fun for about an hour or so, then the mindless bloodbath of zombies would just become dull and boring, same as the space marine in power armour was once rare and interesting.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Why is it a now unspoken fact that health regeneration is more realistic than health bar? I don't know about you but when I get a cut it takes longer than five seconds to mend. And yet ever since Peter Jacksons King Kong and Call Of Duty 2 a FPS without regen health is laughed at for been unrealistic, it downright odd.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mr Companion said:
Why is it a now unspoken fact that health regeneration is more realistic than health bar? I don't know about you but when I get a cut it takes longer than five seconds to mend. And yet ever since Peter Jacksons King Kong and Call Of Duty 2 a FPS without regen health is laughed at for been unrealistic, it downright odd.
By who? I don't think I've ever heard people claim regen is more realistic than health bar. More fun, maybe.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Valiance said:
I lol'd like 5 times while reading this, especially that someone else has heard of Chasm, especially that he understands EVE is not a Wing Commander / Tachyon the Fringe, especially that X3 is not easily accessible to anyone who wasn't already a fan (but that doesn't bother me, eh?) and especially "Quake, but not shit, "Doom with jumping" etc.
Tachyon the Fringe! I loved that game!

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
WraithGadra said:
Attention, mostly.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason we don't see more mindless shooters is because mindlessness tends to get old really fast. I'm not really interested in listening to people try to pass off their personal inability to handle anything more complicated than spank'n it as poor game design.

Oh, and Painkiller was awful. It was a jerky, clumsy mess that could pass off as a fanmod.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Eh. AaaAAaa! is a pretty mediocre game.

Heart-stopping sequences? Man, you must have a weak heart, or I've played too much Aion. It feels like it's just flying, but with less control and you only have to hit the right place.

Sure, you can touch buildings or fly next to objects to get more hugs/kisses, but honestly? No demo has bored me as fast as AaaAAaa! did.

However, I do want more games like Painkiller or Serious Sam. They're just what we need - a simple game with crazy monsters and outrageous weapons for more fun.

BloodSquirrel said:
Oh, and Painkiller was awful. It was a jerky, clumsy mess that could pass off as a fanmod.
Are you kidding me? It was one of the best games of that year.

MightyMouse

Dec 24, 2007
The thing is, whilst there maybe only one friendly, female NPC whose throat is destined for your tongue, you have at least generally broken up in time for the sequel.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Quake was Quake but not shit. It's a lot better than that other crap they call Quake because they couldn't be arsed to think of a new name.

I think there is only so much time and mental energy anyone who isn't a complete and utter American can spend pretending to shoot computer people before they get very bored. There is a lot that game developers can do to mess around with the Feng Shui of game design to make sure the chi is flowing in the right direction and everything looks good but at the end of the day it is still a gun shooting game.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
See, the issue that you've just addressed with "old-time" games is that they were just what you are praising them for- constant streams of the same, the same, the same. Maybe there are sections of a game you like, maybe there aren't. Are you really saying you want those sections replicated through an entire game, for five, ten, twenty hours? This is EXACTLY what you criticized Explosion Man for- it was too much of the same, and as a result it suffered for being overlong. Even good moments need to be sparked up with something new, or else they fall out and become boring.

Imagine that you're a producer that's been completing games for ten years, adding something new to your creations every new release that you gave out. How disappointed are your fans going to be when you say "Oh, I'm not going to give anything new this year- have the same thing I started with ten years back, only with some graphical upgrades!" This system might cater to some small weird minority that takes a nostalgic interest in it (something you've once before told us is BAD), but more than likely the newcomers are going to be disappointed with a primitive system, the veterans are going to be disappointed that they're getting the same thing they started with, and people's expectations are going to drop. Don't believe me? Look at Madden. They ARE generic-ism.

Not that innovation has its bad points as well - God knows the Sonic Team could try going back to its roots- but by using trial-and-error you can tell what's worthwhile to replicate in a game and what isn't. This is something that needs BALANCE, Yahtzee- it needs to cater to what makes it special, as well as show that it's trying new things.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jonatron said:
Valiance said:
I lol'd like 5 times while reading this, especially that someone else has heard of Chasm, especially that he understands EVE is not a Wing Commander / Tachyon the Fringe, especially that X3 is not easily accessible to anyone who wasn't already a fan (but that doesn't bother me, eh?) and especially "Quake, but not shit, "Doom with jumping" etc.
Tachyon the Fringe! I loved that game!
Indeed, it was great fun - completed it multiple times as both the Boron and Galspan. Sadly, its aged pretty badly on Steam, but I live in hope that someone will make another great space game - "Beyond the Red line" is pretty good, even though its a fan made mod and all.