On Multiplayer

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Ha, I don't play online in such games for the same reasons.

P.S. And I agree about Fat Princess.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Article said:
5. Because people are shit.

When you play online with someone, you're not a human being to them. You're just another little mewling voice in the magic box of secrets. If you're not in the same actual room, poised to punch them in the face, only their entertainment matters. You might as well just be an AI bot that swears. Surely playing against an actual AI bot would be preferable. They might not speak and get stuck in corners a lot, but at least they'll never ragequit, and you can program them not to shoot you, and you don't have to pay broadband internet fees for the privilege.

I'm a believer of Penny Arcade's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory: "Ordinary person + audience + anonymity = fuckwad." I would suggest a few alterations, though, such as removing the "+ anonymity" part. And the "+ audience" part. The default state of all human beings is fuckwad. The only reason they don't always act like fuckwads is because they're afraid of getting punched. So they're not just fuckwads, they're cowardly fuckwads.
This bit is so true. This was a great read because multiplayer should never be the first priority.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
It is worryingly true that last bit. The only real way about it is to just ignore what everyone says. Simple.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Behold the truth in all its shining glory! Games whose major selling point is the multiplayer can go die in a ditch!

Adanos

Oct 24, 2009
From $60, single player is $10. What about the people that haven't got a Internet connection (they still exist). Why the heck didn't they release the game in 2 versions. I only play multi player on LAN or at least I need to communicate through a voice program.

100% agree: People are shit.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
Yahtzee,

Ok so I'm going into this fully expecting to get ignored, but what the hell, it's worth a shot.

As a side project/night job sort of thing, I've started up a website dedicated to gaming, reviews and features mostly. So far so good, but here's the rub, I hate multiplayer in games as a rule. For alot of the reasons you've already stated, I dislike playing games online.

So now when I publish a review of Halo 3: ODST or Call of Duty and I get flack for not going into the multiplayer, what do I tell people when I'm accused of critical unfairness? So far it's been mostly, "Fuck you, I don't like multiplayer and I made no pretense otherwise" but I admit it's probably worth trying to flesh out that logic to be fair to readers who may expect a more comprehensive review.

Any thoughts from a professional like yourself are welcome here. ( But yeah, I'm not holding my breath. ) Either way, thanks for the article, entertaining as always.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Not true. People are lovely. I'm the asshole. I don't play much multiplayer because being surrounded by nicey-nice people who are better than me at games annoys me.

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
Well truth but it's kind of obvious...I mean who doesn't know that...anyway I would like to see an assassin's creed 2 review

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I am in two minds about whether to disagree with you or not.

On the one hand I LOVE RPGs, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, KOTOR, fantastic games all of them. And I double love the Half Life series and I've never even been on the multiplayer part.

But then I love Team Fortress 2, my staple in times of gaming drought. No single player at all, basic story, but pure unadultered fun. And Left 4 Dead 2 is a blast as well, espically leaving people behind to die while you escape on the boat, helicopter, whatever.

And as for your final point about all people being f*ckwads, yes I agree, only I call it sin.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Huh. I thought that was perhaps the weakest of the five points he provided. I've met seriously decent people online. Yahtzee's cynicism seems to extend far beyond my own. I can't really say I'm surprised though.

And was it just me or was the article conspicuously lacking in any discussion of non-online multiplayer?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
And yet. I come back to Team Fortress 2. The greatest multiplayer game ever created. Because no matter what your skill level. You'll never be left out of the fun. ""

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
latenightapplepie said:
Aura Guardian said:
Huh. I thought that was perhaps the weakest of the five points he provided. I've met seriously decent people online. Yahtzee's cynicism seems to extend far beyond my own. I can't really say I'm surprised though.

And was it just me or was the article conspicuously lacking in any discussion of non-online multiplayer?
Lucky you. I haven't met a decent/nice person online. Just people yelling [add any "insult"]

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Offline multiplayer > Online multiplayer, for sure. However, nothing is wrong with having multiplayer being the main draw of the game, for the same reasons that movies are better to watch as a group than by yourself. If you make some good friends with a sense of humor, it's incredibly easy to find fun multiplayer games to play. That's why Smash Bros. is still so fun despite being played a million billion hours for us; because it's a chance for us to just screw around and have fun. Yeah, scheduling can be hard sometimes, but if you know a lot of people, you're sure to find friends. Hell, I've already scheduled some time with my friends to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii together, and it was incredibly easy, despite it being finals time and we all have classes and work and whatever. Simply put, we just tried to do it, and it worked.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
I agree so much on World of Warcraft. This happens to me in every single RPG (or game where you level up) I play; the climb is the best part, not the summit. And his point about every minute you waste grinding away at the endgame depriving you from another good game is so very true.

jtesauro said:
Yahtzee,

Ok so I'm going into this fully expecting to get ignored, but what the hell, it's worth a shot.

As a side project/night job sort of thing, I've started up a website dedicated to gaming, reviews and features mostly. So far so good, but here's the rub, I hate multiplayer in games as a rule. For alot of the reasons you've already stated, I dislike playing games online.

So now when I publish a review of Halo 3: ODST or Call of Duty and I get flack for not going into the multiplayer, what do I tell people when I'm accused of critical unfairness? So far it's been mostly, "Fuck you, I don't like multiplayer and I made no pretense otherwise" but I admit it's probably worth trying to flesh out that logic to be fair to readers who may expect a more comprehensive review.

Any thoughts from a professional like yourself are welcome here. ( But yeah, I'm not holding my breath. ) Either way, thanks for the article, entertaining as always.
He's already told you what he'd say to those people - it's all there in the article. Just link them to it.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Oh please don't tell me we've gone down that "People are STUPID!" Road again. I hate when people seriously believe that. Human beings as a species don't just fall into these good/bad corridors that we try and force ourselves into. I can't believe I'm saying this but at least try and give people a chance.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
latenightapplepie said:
Aura Guardian said:

The split-screen LAN section about switching over to Tekken was about just that, so yeah it was you.

About the "people are shit", I agree completely. I never play a game online unless there is at least one of my friends already playing it. Not just people on my "friends" list, I mean people I have actually met and hang out with on the weekends. The average person is not someone I want to play a video game with.

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
Eh. I play online multiplayer because it adds replayability. Plus I have a lot of friends who are generally fun to play with. Sure there's a lot of fuckwads but the mute buttons an incredibly handy tool.

Yahtzee, I see where your comming from and it's admirable that you stick by your values. Can't wait for your next review!