On profanity not yours...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Simple question: how much do your family members swear?

I only ask because I heard my old man say 'shit' earlier today and though to myself 'huh... he hasn't sworn in a while'. He says 'bastard' and 'shit' at worst. I think I've only heard him say 'fuck' once.

My mom is squeaky clean, language-wise, she doesn't swear... in any language. And my sisters... one's like the old man (swears occasionally, though uses stronger language perhaps), while the other's like me (swears regularly through the whole lexicon of bleepable vocabulary).

How's about you folks and your folks?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My mum is currently downstairs effing and blinding like a trooper over some nasty business with my uncle and his ex-girlfriend funnily enough.
She doesn't swear often only usually when drunk. When I swear she used to tell me off even though she's a chain smoking and fairly heavy drinker ;__; She doesn't any more because it's pointless.
My siblings swear in between every word, even when it's not needed which is something I grew up round which is why I'm a pretty big potty mouth.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
My mom doesn't swear at all. My dad swears quite a bit, but usually only when there's a reason to do it.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
My mom likes to raise her voice more than she swears. I think both of my sisters swears quite a bit, maybe not in their every day language, but when they get mad or someone annoys them.

I think I swear the most of them.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
My mom does very very rarely, while my dad has started recently, prob didn't want to swear in front of his kids. Now that I am grown up he can cuss till his heart's content.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
My dad only swears when he's angry. My mom will swear occasionally. I've never heard my youngest brother swear, but my middle brother swears all the time.

As for me, I have a incredibly clean vocabulary.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Oh, I'd say everyone swears frequently here.

At least my immediate family. To be honest, my oldest brother I don't think I've ever heard curse before. Seriously.

But everybody else? Oh hell yeah.

Generally when they're pissed. The more pissed or worked up, the worse it is.

I actually found that sometimes I curse for fun. Not in front of others but yeah.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
My parents swear a fuckton, but the ***** at me when I swear. Their reason? "It's unprofessional". Well no shit, but the thing is it wasn't a damn occasion where professionalism was required. They pull that at things like when we're on the rare occasion of doing something together, like seeing a movie or eating at a not-so-fancy restaurant. As for the rest of my close family, my dogs don't swear (or speak, for that matter), but my brother swears about as much as I do, as well as being capable of speech.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I would say a fucking lot. I think my mother has anger problems (which I inherited because genetics are a horrible thing) so I also get angry and swear a lot. Thankfully there's medication to prevent me from blowing my lid so now I (on an average day) only swear casually or during jokes.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
My whole immediate family swears all the time. Grand parents would freak out even if they head my mom say it, they are super mega ultra baptists on some subjects one of the is language and modesty.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
My mother doesn't swear . Neither does my father . I grew up in a no swearing home . I never heard my sister swear , but she did send me a txt one time saying :" FUCK YOU". In caps . I was so surprised . N

I swear a lot . But not around my parents . As far as they know i don't swear . Good think i see them only once a month.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
My mum was pretty careful while I was growing up, she only swore if she badly hurt herself on something.

However, since I'm well past the 18 mark, she's started increasing the number of swears she uses. I'd say maybe 4 a week on average?

I swear way more than her, though I do tone it down a bit when she's around, out of manners. We do occasionally have conversations with swearing in though. (Not angry ones! Jokey ones :D )

It's basically like having an older sister who sometimes tells you off for not doing enough housework. :3 I love my mum.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
My mom swears like a sailor. My dad swears too, but not quite as often.

At least I come by it honestly. :D Though I have this weird thing where I won't swear in front of them, even though they don't care. Mainly because I'm afraid I'd start doing it in front of my extended family, which, in the case of my mom's half at least, would cause problems.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dad never does. Mom lets a couple minor ones rip when she's ticked or demonstrating a point. My sister doesn't even know swear words.

I swear during prime comedic moments, and I rarely do it so it shocks people. On the whole, we're all fairly different.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
My mom very very rarely swears, and only when she's really angry. My dad swears all the time when he's angry, but never otherwise.

I swear all the time, angry or not. So go figure.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Basically not around my family enough to know if they swear alot. Of course my mom does every once in awhile, I have no idea about the others. Basically go over to my Aunts house when everybody has already left. Christmas is the only time I see them, they usually just want to get it over with. Alot of them just leave the presents and take off. They think me and my mom don't like them, so they don't stick around. Got to say that they are half right. Of course when I was younger, we would hang out all the time.

Dinwatr

Jun 26, 2011
I've seen my familyi get Marines to say "Ma'am, that's a bit much." At one point two of my great-aunts sat next to a priest. The pries lasted five minutes. We timed it. We also had a saying: "All jobs require a certain amount of swearing." It wasn't uncommon to see a family member standing there swearing at a car or a wall or something, beacues "I haven't sworn enough, and I tried everything else, so I'm trying that now."

My family is also highly educated. We used to correct Jepordy questions, in the pre-Google era. But we understand what language is: a way to convey information and organize our thoughts. Sometimes "FUCK!" conveys more information more quickly than any other statement. When a tree drops on your leg and nearly breaks it, swearing is the best way to express yourself--from any perspective, including literary. "Unity, brevity, and singleness of effect" was our standard.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Let me put it like this:

One time, I swore outside in public. A stranger came up to me and asked "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

To which I replied: "Where the fuck do you think I got it from?"

I think that sums things up quite nicely.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I swear a lot, but only in my native language (swearing in english doesn't feel right to me) In fact, I'm trying to tone it down because I've got to a point where such words no longer have a place in my daily conversations. I'll still inevitably use the whole dictionary when I trip or something, though.

My mom never said a single bad word when I was younger, but now that I'm in my mid to late 20's, sometimes I give her this "wtf, mom" look.