On the Avatar Defense Argument

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
I didn't like Avatar for essentially the same reasons that everyone else who didn't like it uh...didn't like it. In other words I felt that everything except the amazing visual effects basically sucked.

The characters- completely boring cliches

The plot-obviously it's been done before. That's not my beef. Plenty of plots have been succesfully recycled: Hamlet in The Lion King (and I'm sure many others), Dickens' novels etc. The problem is that the plot is simply not developed enough. It relies on the fact that you already know the story and its players (which you do). However, this causes the events in the film to come of as more or less ridiculous. For example, the film relies on the fact that you know that Jake Sully will be accepted into the native culture, so it spends little time on his rise to acceptance. But, this is such a crucial part of the plot that its being glossed over simply doesn't work. I found it difficult to buy into his acceptance--even in the context of a film about super-sized cat people.

The writing-Oh my God don't get me started. For the sake of time, I'll just say that Avatar's script damn near reached the seventh-ring of screenplay hell reserved only for Transformers 2 and Shark Attack 3 (If you've seen the latter, you know what the hell I'm talking about).

Performances-Difficult to say considering the material they were working with. I mean I don't think Daniel-Dey Lewis could have done much with this script. So we'll just leave this one on the backburner.

So, in response to my above-stated opinions, I generally hear,

"Dude it's not all about the plot and such you smug douche bag."

Too right. And Avatar knows this. It knows that its draw is visual effects straight up. Very few films can excel in every aspect of the mdeium. Most "good" (not "successful") films excel at one, two maybe three aspects. However, they don't let the "other" aspects (the one's they don't excel in) get in the way of the one's they do. In other words, a good films other aspects are at least serviceable.

Examples: Zombieland= Good Film, characters=interesting, visuals=exciting, writing=witty, plot=servicable etc.

Edit: Those who said "no discussion value" were warranted; a less-than-functioning keyboard caused a double post cutting out what follows:

No Country for Old Men= Great Film. Well everything's great IMO

Training day= Average film. Shitty plot brings down a great performance and clever dialogue

Avatar= Below Average Film (I didn't say "bad"). Shitty everything but visuals brings amazing visuals way down.

So, what I'm saying is Avatar's "other" aspects get in the way of me enjoying it for what it is: a visual feast. It was too difficult to be engaged by the visuals when I had to endure the one-liners and "I see you". Oh God the one-liners!! Anyway, I would have enjoyed it more if it was simply a 20-minute 3-D tour of Pandora without all the other you know, stuff, getting in the way.

Finally: "movie of the decade claim rant"

No.
Us all being nerds here, let's take two purported "movies of the decade:" Star wars ep. 4 for the 70's and Avatar for the_____(insert unwieldy goddamn name given to the last ten years).

Both were regarded as technological breakthroughs of their respective time.
Both made an absolute killing at the box office.

One was a damn good film.
One was a damn good tech show.

The difference here is "heart." Star Wars has it, Avatar doesn't. I highly doubt that anyone will remember Jake Sully (or anyone from Avatar) the same way they remember Han Solo or Darth Vader. There's simply nothing endearing about Avatar. This movie will be forgotten soon as the next technological breakthrough blows us away. It will go down in the history of visual effects, but not in the history of film.

Ok, I'm done. Thoughts?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
ShotgunShaman said:
Congrats. + 5 failpoints for the double post, and + 3 for not giving any sort of discussion value.
Not to mention it's just BAD. Dear god, I don't even want to THINK about what would happen if Moviebob were to see this dude's comment on how Avatar's acting is as bad as that of T:ROTF. The universe would likely shatter from the force of his contemptuous laughter.

(Not that I regard Moviebob as an all-powerful force of movie critiquing or anything: I just happen to agree with a good deal of his opinions, and he always makes an entertaining show... to the point where I anticipate ETTM every week now instead of ZP.)

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
This has no discussion value, and there isn't even a question for us to answer. What is this I don't even.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
It was a great movie. Story's been done before, but never, ever, EVER has it been done like this. Cameron created an entire new world for the story to take place in, and he did so flawlessly.

Script and acting were fantastic, no idea where that came from.

Just another person thinking it's cool to hate on the popular stuff, I guess.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
ShotgunShaman said:
Congrats. + 5 failpoints for the double post, and + 3 for not giving any sort of discussion value.
Eh, what the Hell are you talking about? The discussion value is right here:

GammaZord said:
Zombieland= Good Film, characters=interesting, visuals=exciting, writing=witty, plot=servicable etc.
Zombieland was refreshing. Comedic without being over the top Shaun Of The Dead nonsense. It gave the finger to political correctness, always good. It gave zombies the magic abilities of.. well, running and climbing. Duh. The only thing I really didn't like was Bill Murray, who's inclusion and acting were just so damn campy they detracted from an otherwise fairly good zombie flick.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
Thaius said:
Well, I have no idea where your "fantastic" script came from since you didn't offer any examples.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
When can we just all accept the fact that we either saw a great movie or were gipped out of our money (you choose) and shut up about it?

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
Thanks for ruining it, I was waiting for it to be released on DVD before I rented it.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen King Kong yet...I'll have to put them both on my list of films to rent.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
GammaZord said:
My take:

Characters - Clichéd, perhaps, but the reason they are used is because clichés work. You will always have the badass military guy, the handicapped character trying to better his situation in life, the hard-nosed scientist who doesn't care for anything but science, the bumbling sidekick, the love interest who starts off as repulsed but gradually falls in love with the protagonist: so on and so forth. Directors and writers use these templates because they know that they work and they know that the audiences will be able to identify with them, or at least understand them from the ground up. Yes, I agree that it is lazy on the part of James Cameron to solely rely on these sorts of characters, but I honestly didn't feel like it detracted from the movie in a huge fashion.

Writing - Please. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies ever written, in recent history and since the beginning of film. The plot made little to no sense, it fell and relied on literary devices that have never worked, and just accepted us to follow along blindly because we were expecting a payoff. It was sort of like Lost in that respect: the plot was so ridiculous that we kept watching in hope that the ending would explain it all. Which it didn't.

"Beginning, middle, end. Facts, details. Condense: Plot. Tell it!" - Quote from John Turturro which basically details my thoughts of the whole movie. There was a whole lot of exposition that had no background, no fore- or afterthought; it was just delivered and we were expected to accept it.

At least in Avatar you get a basic rundown of where everything is coming from and where everything is heading to. Sure, there are some things that you have to take on faith, but that comes in every science fiction movie, no matter the plot. Revenge of the Fallen didn't even give you that much. Comparing Avatar to Transformers 2 is an insult to Avatar, and film as a whole the world over. Yes, it was that bad.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying James Cameron should get an Oscar for Best Writing or Best Screenplay. But neither was it terrible beyond belief. It had good and bad moments, but I'd say it was an average script at the very least.

Performances - I think the performances were pretty decent, actually. I mean, sure, the material they had wasn't the best, but every line was delivered with enough conviction (from a character point-of-view) to come off as believable. I love Sam Worthington, and Sigourney Weaver is awesome. Especially, though, I think Zoe Saldana did a wonderful job. Sure, she was basically just playing an alien version of Pocahontas, but she delivered her lines with amazing conviction and dedication to the character. I thoroughly enjoyed the performances.

All in all, I wouldn't say that Avatar was the best movie this year. Hell, it wasn't even in the top ten best movies of this decade. But by no means was it as horrible as you seem to be making it out to be. It was an average movie at the very least, with amazing special effects. Yes, that is where almost the entire budget for this movie went and it shows. I understand that people want more from a movie than just pretty pictures, but no one can deny that this movie was absolutely gorgeous. It will most certainly win the Oscar for Best Special Visual Effects with basically no competition.

But, I reiterate, it most certainly is better than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and it most certainly is not as bad as you seem to be making it out. It's average the least, and slightly above-average at most. I would recommend seeing it once only for the visuals, but would then suggest Sherlock Holmes if you haven't seen it yet. Hell, even if you have. That movie rocks.

Also, for the science-fiction fans in the audience, if you want to watch a good sci-fi movie that gives you a satisfying watch and keeps you thinking, watch both Pandorum and Moon. Far and away the best sci-fi movies that have come out in years, right alongside District 9 in that regard. Check them out if you haven't: they're both amazing.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Well, sorry to punch a hole or two in your theory, but I wasn't expecting Jake to be accepted into the Navi society.

Also I guess you are just disregarding the roughly 45 minutes of screentime that went into showing Jake learning the Navi culture.

This website could use a bit less of these ridiculous topics that people create whenever they aren't happy with how a movie or game turned out.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
TundraWolf said:
GammaZord said:
snip
I appreciate your well-thought response and your recommendations.

Now I admit that my Op is a bit convoluted, but I had no intention of comparing Avatar as a whole, with TF2. And I don't consider Avatar a "horrible" movie. You say average at worst I say average at very best. But I agree that Avatar is no doubt a better film and was merely using TF2 as a representation of an absolute abortion of a script. In this context, I was using "script" and "plot" seperately. Here, with "script" I meant spkoen dialogue so to speak and with "plot" I meant narrative structure. In respects to narrative structure between the two, I agree that there is no comparison. Avatar has a clean structure (exposition, climax etc.). It's a heackneyed structure, but it's structure nonetheless. TF2's narrative has no structure, to call it a plot would be to offend plots everywhere. So, to clear things up, I had no intention of associating Avatar's plot with that of TF2.

But, considering spoken dialogue, Avatar certainly reminded me of TF2. Lines like "Come to Papa" and the incessant "I see you" motif are about as bad as it gets. For me, Avatar and TF2 were the two worst movies I saw this year (or that came out this year that I saw). But, I place Avatar miles ahead of the last place TF2. In other words, TF2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, Avatar was simply a movie that I didn't like.

I could go on about for days about how much better Avatar is than TF2. Their only connection is that I consider Avatar to be a suburban sized swimming pool of shit dialogue compared to the Pacific Ocean of shit dialogue that is TF2. One's the epitome of shit dialguem the other's a serviceable example.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
gamefreakbsp said:
Well, sorry to punch a hole or two in your theory, but I wasn't expecting Jake to be accepted into the Navi society.

Also I guess you are just disregarding the roughly 45 minutes of screentime that went into showing Jake learning the Navi culture.

This website could use a bit less of these ridiculous topics that people create whenever they aren't happy with how a movie or game turned out.
1st sentence: Seriously? Ok fine.

2nd sentence: Amount of screentime doesn't necessarily translate into convincing material.

3rd sentence: Translation: "This website could use a bit less of people with opinions different from my own."

Der Golem

Jan 13, 2010
Thaius said:
It was a great movie. Story's been done before, but never, ever, EVER has it been done like this.
What you're saying got me thinking... hasn't this idea been done before? Obviously the answer is yes, what with Pocahontas and all.
But the other thing is that I think this story HAS been given a scifi twist before, it just had an additional 200 pages attached to the front and the back of the concept; y'know, the original Dune book.

Maybe I'm wrong, but really, the idea that this archetypal story has never been done 'like this' is off.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
GammaZord said:
Thaius said:
Well, I have no idea where your "fantastic" script came from since you didn't offer any examples.
Oh right, forgot I had to post examples. I was simply responding to your own statement about the script.

GammaZord said:
The writing-Oh my God don't get me started. For the sake of time, I'll just say that Avatar's script damn near reached the seventh-ring of screenplay hell reserved only for Transformers 2 and Shark Attack 3 (If you've seen the latter, you know what the hell I'm talking about).
So many examples in that statement... I'll have to pull up my game to match that. I'll get back to you later when I have the time and resources to match your example-giving prowess.

Der Golem said:
Thaius said:
It was a great movie. Story's been done before, but never, ever, EVER has it been done like this.
What you're saying got me thinking... hasn't this idea been done before? Obviously the answer is yes, what with Pocahontas and all.
But the other thing is that I think this story HAS been given a scifi twist before, it just had an additional 200 pages attached to the front and the back of the concept; y'know, the original Dune book.

Maybe I'm wrong, but really, the idea that this archetypal story has never been done 'like this' is off.
Dune was much different, specifically involving the surrounding politics of it all. It was much more complex: this doesn't make Avatar worse, it just makes it smaller in scale. Not to mention not once did Paul have to question his loyalty to the regime that killed his freaking father and stole his family's position of power. On the other hand, the struggle between right and wrong, loyalty and morality, was a central theme of Avatar. For Jake, it was a journey over time that developed his love for the Na'vi, and it was just the "last straw" when they destroyed Home Tree. For Paul, fighting was a natural reaction: there was no need to question loyalty because he and his family/house were blatantly and horribly wronged in the first place. Not to mention he was pretty much the prophesied messiah, a quality that is nowhere to be found in Jake Sully.

Dune was an incredible book, but you really can't say Avatar copied off it. Inspired by it, maybe, but not a copy. Name Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas all you want, but I stand by my statement that the story has never been told in the way Avatar presented it.

Pyromanaical

Sep 12, 2009
TundraWolf said:
GammaZord said:

Writing - Please. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies ever written, in recent history and since the beginning of film. The plot made little to no sense, it fell and relied on literary devices that have never worked, and just accepted us to follow along blindly because we were expecting a payoff. It was sort of like Lost in that respect: the plot was so ridiculous that we kept watching in hope that the ending would explain it all. Which it didn't.
I have to agree with this tiny snippet from a wall of text.

Der Golem

Jan 13, 2010
Thaius said:
GammaZord said:
Dune was an incredible book, but you really can't say Avatar copied off it. Inspired by it, maybe, but not a copy. Name Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas all you want, but I stand by my statement that the story has never been told in the way Avatar presented it.
I was actually thinking more in terms of the Spice war (which I believe is similar to the motivation for the human invasion of Pandora) and Paul's relationship with the Fremen (which has some similarities with Jake's relationship to the Na'vi)
And that second one is the major part of Avatar's plot

I'll agree, Paul's motivations are a lot more w/o question. Questions of loyalty and morality, from memory, becomes a theme in the first couple of sequels.

I just think that the warrior goes native against his leaders in scifi! has been done before. I don't think anyone's copied anything, its just that quite a few people say that its has never been done like this, and I think there are a few examples that say quite the contrary.
Hell, come to think of it, Jim Raynor and the Protoss might exhibit this same concept...

Banhaze

Oct 8, 2008
No one may remember Jake Sully.
EVERYONE will Remember Colonel Quartich, a hero of man who died attempting to secure resources for the benefit of mankind!

I salute you!