On the Cover: "Poison" by Tarja Turunen

Nov 28, 2007
First off, my apologies to readers of my "Friday Night Fear Flicks" series of reviews. I didn't get a chance to watch a horror movie this week, as my brother had minimum days and sleeps in the living room...where the cable box is. Next week, I'll try to pull a double review to make up for it.

In 1989, Vincent Furnier, under the stage name of Alice Cooper, was in a career slump, having only had one hit since 1980, "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)", written for the movie "Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives". However, that soon changed, as a single off of the album Trash titled "Poison" reached #2 in the UK and #7 in the US. In 2005, Tarja Turunen was dismissed from Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish due to personal reasons. Deciding to start a solo career. On her first album, 2006's My Winter Storm, she included a cover of the Alice Cooper song, which never charted, as it was not released as a single, though the album topped the Finnish charts, as well as going platinum in Finland, double platinum in Russia, and gold in Germany. However, was the cover as good as the original, or is "Poison" a no-woman's land?

Very...odd video.

The instruments in each version are quite similar. However, there are some big differences. Alice Cooper's instruments are a bit more rough sounding in general, with two guitar solos added in, one in the middle and one at the end. On the other hand, Tarja Turunen's version starts off a lot gentler, with the only instrument heard through the verses being a subtle keyboard sound. However, once the bridge kicks in, so do the guitar and drums. However, the Tarja Turunen version lacks the guitar solos. In the end, Alice Cooper's version is a bit more unified, and has more technical skill in the instruments. However, Tarja's version sounds a bit gentler in the verses, resulting in a harder-hitting chorus, and the keyboard line is fairly pleasant to listen to, offsetting the lyrical content quite effectively.

However, for all the similarities of the instruments, the vocals in each version differ strongly. Alice Cooper has a rougher voice, almost snarling his lyrics, as if he's frustrated at the feelings the mystery lover is bringing out in him. On the other hand, Tarja brings a more operatic tone to her singing, with her vocals being higher pitched and quite clean, resulting in a voice that sounds more desperate for the touch of that which is dangerous than anger at the feelings resulting in the want for that dangerous touch. Technically, Tarja's singing is better than Alice Cooper's. However, his frustration is somewhat fitting for the subject matter.

God, she's so hot...*drool*

So which version is better? The angrier and harsher version, or the cleaner and more desperate version? I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan, so that biases me a bit. But in the end, breaking it down piece by piece...I'd honestly have to go with the Tarja Turunen version. I know quite a few will disagree, saying I just "don't get" the Alice Cooper version. I do, though. Tarja's version just raises emotions I can relate to better. Anger at feeling love for that which is dangerous? I've never really felt that. Desperation for love, even if it's a trip to Masochism Land? Who hasn't felt that? Each version is quite strong in their own rights. However, Tarja's version is the only one that connects with me emotionally. Alice Cooper's version is great headbanging material, but that's about it for me. You may disagree, and that's all right. Either way, it is an awesome song by an awesome vocalist.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I don't like Turunen's way of singing. Even with the cheesy backing vocals, Cooper's version just seems more authentic.

Nov 28, 2007
plugav said:
I don't like Turunen's way of singing. Even with the cheesy backing vocals, Cooper's version just seems more authentic.

Also, with all due respect, you've probably thought way too much about this.
That's the point of a review, isn't it? To think about stuff, analyze it?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
thebobmaster said:
That's the point of a review, isn't it? To think about stuff, analyze it?
Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice it was posted under "user reviews." (That's what I get for killing time on the forums at 4 AM.)

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
i think you've over looked the importance of excessive studio production.

Yes the newer version is certainly closer to perfection but i think sterility is a more apropriate word rather than "cleaner", any vocal variety is lost to the fact the female vocalist is afraid to let her voice break or strain with emotion.

Music is beautiful because its the purest distilation of human emotion into soemthing tangible, so sincerity is a musicians single greatest asset. Modern sound editing is what expunges sincerity from a musicians sound, its glaringly clear the modern rendition does this while Cooper's does not.

There's a fine margin between the two tracks but Coopers is honest while the newer track sounds rehersed or for lack of a better word hollow.

(have you reviewed Maggies Farm-Bob Dylan as covered by Rage against the Machine?)

Nov 28, 2007
shadow_Fox81 said:

Yes the newer version is certainly closer to perfection but i think sterility is a more apropriate word rather than "cleaner", any vocal variety is lost to the fact the female vocalist is afraid to let her voice break or strain with emotion.

Music is beautiful because its the purest distilation of human emotion into soemthing tangible, so sincerity is a musicians single greatest asset. Modern sound editing is what expunges sincerity from a musicians sound, its glaringly clear the modern rendition does this while Cooper's does not.

There's a fine margin between the two tracks but Coopers is honest while the newer track sounds rehersed or for lack of a better word hollow.

(have you reviewed Maggies Farm-Bob Dylan as covered by Rage against the Machine?)
Fair enough. I disagree about her voice being sterilized, but that's an opinion, and I can't disagree with yours.

And no, I haven't reviewed that. My next review is, most likely, going to be Slade's "Cum On Feel the Noize" as covered by Quiet Riot.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
shadow_Fox81 said:

I'd like to point out that Tarja Turunen is an opera singer. That's kind of her "thing", her gimmick if you will. That is why there's no vocal variety, not because it's modern, quite the opposite.

That being said, I don't like it. Over-producted and indeed sterile as shadow_Fox81 pointed out. Certainly isn't a good fit. However, even larger part of why I don't like it is probably because I don't like the original. In my mind, Alice Cooper is a great showman but an awful musician.