On the Left 4 Dead Ban

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Governments that work to supress things like violent video games in the name of "save the children", while children go hungry and homeless in their borders, so that Trumpesque people can by another $50,000,00 yacht should be taken out to a dark alley and beaten to death with a wiffle ball bat. i will volunteer to do the beatings if someone organizes the revolution.

((mind you, I am not australian. but it is quite infuriating))

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
What a stupid bunch of people. It's just a game, not a training tool for psychopaths-in-waiting. Honestly, both things like this and the massive arachnids make me not even want to visit Australia... but that is mostly due to the latter issue. Spiders are creepy.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Why can't the Australian Government just do what most others do when when they don't like something, tax the crap out of it. Government wants people not to smoke, it increases cigarette tax. Government thinks too many people drink? Increase alcohol tax!

Sure it would still be almost as retarded and your games would cost 5 times the price, but at least you'd get to play them right?

BlueberryFalacy

Apr 12, 2009
The ACB really need to get off their pedestals and just make an 18+ rating, I mean hell we still get R rated films, all thats needed is for games dealers to start carding you when you buy a game

Psepha said:
DRADIS C0ntact said:
He can still review it. He should be able to download it on Steam.
That's a point. Isn't this really not that big a deal, since Steam exists? Or will there be something I don't know about (who knows, I guess that could happen) that would stop Australians from doing that too?
Yes. It would be the government compulsory web filter which will be controlled by whomever is in power and most likely dictated by the Family First group that wants nothing but christian songs played in the country.

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
my explanation is that their afraid everyone that plays l4d2 is gonna become a mindless murderer with a FRYING PAN or axe (i have never once heard of some1 dying due to frying pan injuries) now, if this is y their afraid of it, then they need to grow a cranium pair, or get rid of the seemingly large group of pyshcotics that go beserk at the mere sight of blood... because only a retard would actually murder cause he saw it in a game. he was doomed from birth to be a murderer, not the games fault. also, if theyre so friggin desperate to protect children, make a 18+ rating!!!! what the hell is wrong with them if they dont realize thats the solution that doesnt lead to decline of their game economy... and common sense.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Cwn_Annwn said:
The ACB really need to get off their pedestals and just make an 18+ rating, I mean hell we still get R rated films, all thats needed is for games dealers to start carding you when you buy a game
Apparently, not that simple. I've read that in order to change the system, you need a unanimous vote from all of the country's Attorney-Generals. And it appears that Michael Atkinson is the one person voting against bringing in an 18+ rating.

So, until he retires or is forced to get out of the position due to a change in local government, Australia won't have a 18+ game rating.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like Yahtzee hates his government...I don't blame him one bit. He came up with excellent counter-arguments to the bullshit excuses the ACB has given for refusing classifcation to L4D2.

Solution to Yahtzee's problem: Go to GAMETRADERS ROBINA, stick it to the man (in this case Michael Atkinson) and review it with smug self satisfaction that he's more clever than the government.

Emilie Diabolica

May 26, 2009
dear australians,
please. PLEASE could we organise a protest or something?
we can't just sit on our asses watching as they slowly cut off our freedoms...
D:

gah, i'm gonna go live on the moon, dammit.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'll try and find the article but I recall reading somewhere that there may be a plan over there to introduced a 18+ rating system.

You're in our prayers... if we even did that...

Give it another 10 to 20 years and this whole game controversy should be on the same level as that for music and films. Basically we just did all the old politicians to retire and eventually die off in time.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
I can't help but feel like this entire article is like walking into a park, and screaming bloody murder at the grass and trees for having the audacity for being grass and trees. The simple fact of the matter is the ACB is doing it's job. They're paid to do this, and they are working while they're at it. They have to watch the dirty movies, have to play the violent games, and are paid to do nothing other than give the game a classification. For the American readers in the audience, this article is the equivalent of attacking the ESRB for giving a game an M-rating.

It's not the ACB's fault that they have refuse classification because there's no classification this game falls under. The office in charge of classification, the Attorney-General's Department of Australia, is the body that is almost exclusively at fault here. The irony though, is that the department is primarily for the creation of an R18+ classification. However, since the department requires a unanimous vote, there is a single opponent to the classification. An attorney-general named Michael Atkinson.[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Film_and_Literature_Classification_(Australia)#Classification_of_video_games[/footnote]

So, instead of harboring ill-will toward the ACB, it would work more effective to appeal to Mr. Atkinson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.144722.3256690] to change the ruling. As it stands, he's the only thing between the ACB and a full set of classifications for Video Game media.

And the saddest part is, I severely doubt anyone is going to read this.

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Chipperz said:
You'll note that Fallout 3 doesn't have Morphine at all? That's because Bethesda removed it so it could be released in Australia. Along with all the other real world drugs that were supposed to be in it, but weren't because the ACB are spineless fuckwits who know nothing about the real world.
Morphine was renamed Med-X :)

FalloutWikia said:
Originally, Med-X was simply named "morphine" in the game. However, on July 4, 2008, Fallout 3 was refused classification by the OFLC in Australia, thus making the game illegal for sale in the country due to the "realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method (bringing) the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs." On September 9, 2008 Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing, Peter Hines, has described the idea of the Australian version of Fallout 3 as a misconception. All versions of Fallout 3 will no longer include real world drug references
As for OT, Yahtzee is correct. Australia today, 10 years time it could be like this all over the world. All we'll see in the movies are films about politically correct bunny rabbits while we let our own countries be over-run by illegal immigrants because it would be 'immoral' for us to stop giving them our tax money and stop giving them our council houses.

Common Knowledge

Aug 30, 2009
Are the Australian censorship laws outdated and, quite frankly, bad in comparison to say Europes or Americas? Yes.

Is the censorship of video games the first step towards a totalitarian police state regiem with the express intent of squashing the individual and their personal liberties? No.

Okay, it might be tempting to think that the outlandish idea is the correct one, but if you start thinking that way then it's only a few stpes down the line to getting a rottweiler, ludicrous alarm systems, fearing everybody, swallowing the "terror pill" and ultimately ending up like this:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/its%20a%20conspiracy/Evilpens/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'm tempted to make a joke about the Australian Government being the only one able to stop a zombie outbreak.

scar-x-

Aug 19, 2009
Despite the fact I don't actually live in Australia, I do sympathize with your feelings.
Compared to Gears of War and such, Left 4 Dead 2 is quite mild.

This really is all bullshit. What's even worse for us hateful yanks in the US, is that Jack Thompson may be coming back. Which blows goats for US gamers.

But there's nothing I can do but ***** about it though so...

Fuck it.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
NewClassic said:
So, instead of harboring ill-will toward the ACB, it would work more effective to appeal to Mr. Atkinson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.144722.3256690] to change the ruling. As it stands, he's the only thing between the ACB and a full set of classifications for Video Game media.
You know, I really doubt that he's going to change his mind on this. It seems that no matter what evidence to the contrary or reasonable arguments you throw at him, he's simply going to dig his heels in, close his eyes tightly, stick his fingers in his ears and shout "LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING GAMES CORRUPT CHILDREN!"

VashtaNerada

Jul 23, 2008
Prolly be cheaper to just buy a US 360, than to move over here :p.

Also it seems like Australia is going to be the first to go if there ever was to be a zombie apocalypse. I mean you guys just wouldn't have the experience to survive!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
Interesting.. but if Fallout 3 was refused classification, how did Yahtzee get to review it? Did he visit his friends at GAMETRADERS ROBINA??
They altered it to accommodate it's rating.

OT: I've never understood things like this. If you execute someone in a game and you see in a resolution of 30000 x 21000 their face dismember in slow motion, I can understand why that may be a little controversial.

Especially if that was an entire game.

This a game where the world has been infected by zombies though, zombies that attack and can kill you. Shaun of the Dead is more violent then L4D for God sake!

I think the fact that everything is comprised entirely of pixels counters the interactivity argument.

Thankfully I live in the UK, where games are rarely banned. Although this whole ESRB over BBC choice is pissing me off: I'm 15, and the other day I saw AC 2 rated 15 on a pre-order box by the BBFC.

Now I'm seeing it on pre-order boxes rated 18 by the ESRB. They rated Mass Effect 18 for strong violence! The very little blood you get is so minimal (and also green) that you barely notice it.

BBFC rated it 12 by the way. Films don't get this shit.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
Why are we allowed to own Microwaves? You may have to bare with me on this one...

A microwave is a useful tool for cooking eggs, defrosting chickens and bringing your hamster out of hibernation. However, the moment you put a peice of tin foil in there it becomes something akin to a bomb...

More or less every home has one of these mini-explosion factories, but we're trusted not to put spoons in it too regularly. That we're clever enough for, thanks for your confidence mr 'whoever decides this shit'!

Why then, can't the same quota of faith be placed upon the gaming community?

'What if a kid see's the gore and it corrupts him into a life of cross-dressing, gerbil stuffing, granny rapery?' - Well maybe the game wasn't designed for children to put your Pink Floyd CD's in! Wait...I'm mixing metaphors - how about we trust responsible parents to ward children from such an influence as they would a Microwave, Steak Knife or Sweaty Man in a Kagool?

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Being a U.S. citizen, not being as heavily censored as those "down under" I need someone to explain something to me.

How difficult would it be to order a "banned" game from outside the borders? GAME TRADERS ROBINA not withstanding, will Amazon or Ebay (or a person)ship a game?

I once ordered Star Fox 2 for the SNES (entirely in Japanese) from Japan. Granted it wasn't banned in the U.S. but it wasn't released either.