On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness: Demo

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
So, Penny Arcade decided to make a video game. This thing has actually gotten quite a bit of press, so I assume most of you have heard about it. The goal was to make some steampunk/dark comedy action/RPG, and the full version is available to purchase. Lacking the funds to get it right now, I played the demo.

These are my thoughts.

---

New Arcadia, 1922

Tycho Brahe and Johnathan "Gabe" Gabriel are a pair of hotshot paranormal detectives solving capers and crimes and other weird bits of business in New Arcadia, using their wits, fists, tommy guns, and clever dialogue.

You do not play as them.

Instead you are some guy--you can create your very Penny-Arcadish character using a variety of faces, heads, hair, hats and clothes and then set on a strange and perilous adventure, starting out with your lawn being criticized by some unseeable, unnamed narrator and leading to your house being stepped on by a gigantic robot.

That's about all the plot that is allowed in the demo--you jump into the action and wander through a suburban neighborhood battling Fruit Fuckers (little robot juice makers who, um, fuck fruit.) with your rake and the help of a local cat. You do eventually meet up with Tycho and Gabe, and they join your party for much hilarity and excitement all around.

The game itself has a pretty simple system--you point and click and drag the mouse to move places, a-la Diablo, and in battle you roll initiative and select various attacks to strike fear into the heart of your fruit-fucking nemeses. The battle system is similar, to a degree, to Paper Mario, as your special attacks all involve special little timed button presses--either stopping a dial at the right times or tapping a button for awhile or stuff like that. The entire system is wonderfully simple, which is how I like my PC games.

Combat is fun, but simplistic, but the real charm is the game itself. The cel-shaded graphics make you feel as though your living inside an actual Penny Arcade strip, and the art-style is very reminiscient of Gabe's normal artwork. The story is played out in comic-style dialogue and funny voice-overs, and the whole thing is really quite hilarious, especially once Tycho and Gabe are introduced, because it's really like reading Penny Arcade ALL THE TIME.

The demo is short, but the hilarious punch-to-the-gut dialogue, the simple but fun combat, and the general off-kilter uniqueness of the game itself makes me all the more hungry to get the full version. I'll post a link to the website for you to test for yourself, but all indications show that this game is definitely worth the twenty-dollar price tag.

http://www.rainslick.com/

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hmm... I like the web comic but I don't think paying $20 for a game of it. Maybe youtube should have some videos.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
^ What he said.

They should've made it 10-15, imo. From what i gathered it's a 6-8 hour game, a bit short for 20 bucks.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I tried the demo and like the humor alot, much better then the comic.

But the combat felt very dull, eugh.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I love the ad banner circulating around the escapist for it:

"this game sucks and anyone who likes it sucks. penny aracde sucks and is as funny as something that's not funny at all."

Love those guys.

AsbestosKidney

Dec 5, 2007
I bought the full version in a moment of sheer irrational impulse. It's enjoyable but of course not very deep. Not sure if I think the price was fair, but the game has kept me entertained on a boring Sunday.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
avykins said:
Played it. Couldn't finish. The game has soo many bugs its not even funny. I had to go way back to a previous save to continue because one of the main NPCs would not take quest items anymore. The game just has a bad habit of characters not activating. I just hit yet another dead end and just honestly cant be assed reloading a few hours behind and hoping it doesn't screw me over again.
There are also a few pathing issues

Other then that its actually quite a fun game. Interesting characters with distinctive personalities, lots of in jokes for regular readers, easy on the eyes and most of all Fun!
It is short game with only 4 parts that I have seen soo far but that does just stop it from getting old.
Once they get their shit sorted then it will be a decent game however $$20 for such a short game is kind of stretching it a bit much.
I had no such problems with NPCs, so I'm not sure what your issues were, or how widespread they are. I agree that the pathfinding "sucks" to put it mildly. I played the demo on the 360 and on PC, and ended up buying it on PC. I would've preferred to WASD my characters around like you can on the 360 (with the stick), but retained the mousing ability to look at things and interact. This would've bypassed the whole pathfinding nonsense.

Personally, I enjoyed it, and I don't regret the purchase, but I think for Episode 2, I will wait for a price drop to 15 dollars. Then it's all good.