On the subject of grief (and death in general)

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
I know most of you here have lost a loved one or friend at some point in your life, I myself having lost my father and grandmother within six months of each other. That was a year or so ago, but I still occasionally think about them and just feel sad.

What I would like to know is how you handled your grief.

I didn't handle it well. I kept it bottled up until it erupted one day in class.

But I have decided to handle it like a man should and accept that they are gone with a visit to their graves.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
How I handle grief: forget it. I'm not joking, I need to actually try to remember things, otherwise they just disappear from thought. But things I do try and remember, I can't get out of my head.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
2003-2004

I lost almost everyone in my family I gave a damn about, My step father was first (I didn't care for him at all) then my real father died...nine days before christmas, then HIS mother died. Then my older brother was murdered. later in the summer... my grandmother died from cancer.

Oh god, I miss all of them...except for my stepdad.

How did I deal with it? I didn't, I want to see them again at least for ten minuites.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
I am very similar to you Uberjoe. When something happened to me I kept it inside for a long, long time. This eventually drove me to drinking and destroyed many relationships. I would say to get it out there. Find at least one person that you can really open up to, it doesn't matter who it is and just cry. Make sure that the person is comfortable around you as a grown man crying is a little much to handle. If you don't have anyone you could talk to a psychologist; though I personally did not find it helpful.
Now, I talk with my friends, and mainly my gf when I'm having difficulty with grief in my life.

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
dkyros said:
I am very similar to you Uberjoe. When something happened to me I kept it inside for a long, long time. This eventually drove me to drinking and destroyed many relationships. I would say to get it out there. Find at least one person that you can really open up to, it doesn't matter who it is and just cry. Make sure that the person is comfortable around you as a grown man crying is a little much to handle. If you don't have anyone you could talk to a psychologist; though I personally did not find it helpful.
Now, I talk with my friends, and mainly my gf when I'm having difficulty with grief in my life.
I tried the psychologist route, but ended up avoiding her questions with anecdotes and jokes. I couldn't really say how I felt because I had never felt anything like it before. My mother tells me I was almost catatonic the first few days after my father's death. I honestly can't (or don't want to) remember those days.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I lost my half-sister to a car accident when I was very young.

Dealing with that was horrible, and did virtually rip me out of childhood and into a lot of the cold necessities of life, particularly death. I was born idealistic, joyful, and with that joy very easy to puncture, like a bubble. With my bubble broken in a big way by the horrendous shock of that event, I had to either give up on every ideal I had, become cynical and decide that life is a waste of time and humanity is a waste of space, or make myself strong enough to make an attempt at realising those ideals in a world where they weren't expressed yet.

Thankfully, after a few years taking the lower of those two paths and looking into dark possibilities for myself, I chose the right road... and I'm still trying to walk along that, basically. I think that finding the perspective to see the suffering humanity itself faces daily and then finding yourself a meaningful pursuit to curb that suffering is part of the puzzle of defeating the control grief takes over your life.

The worst part of it now, is consoling my mother, every time the anniversary of her death, and her birthday, come around. She lost her daughter that day, and even though my half-sister was like a second mother to me, it is the mother-child connection that suffers the most in that circumstance, I believe. I could never expect my mother to find what I had to to survive being the post-crybaby at school (and thus having to be ready to deal with attacks from most of the school community as my confidence grew), because it would have been easier for me to find that will. If she ever does, and I see a true smile blossom on her face again after all these years, it'll be worth every moment of effort.

Beating grief is about strength. Personal strength; will, the ability to conquer your fear, your doubt, and bring back your will to live yourself. I think that psychologists try to find shortcuts to happiness rather than search for strength within people (though a new discipline called "positive psychology", which does basically that, is on the rise, apparently). Everyone has their strength - it's all about finding that.

I think that even an imaginary strength can convert to a real one if you believe in it truly enough - that's why things like spirituality or anime can help some creatively-minded people out of depression. When someone says "God saved me from killing myself" I think that they really mean (or in any case, it is probably true) that their faith did so. After all, that faith is a strength of conviction coming from within them, and ultimately any type of inner strength can be used against grief with time and nurturing.

Nov 24, 2010
grief comes in waves. I think often about my mom, who died 2 month ago. its sad when people die too early (she was 54) or if it was avoidable .she died of alcoholism, her liver was too damaged. if she only admit it, she would live now.but she was too ashamed. i often become angry about her mother, who made she ill. but anger diesnt bring her back to life, so its useless. and grandma is very old, so she won´t understand my rage. and grandma is sad about it too and i shouldnt let her suffer for it. its useless.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Childhood best friend's dad, awesome guy

I stared at his face as he laid in the coffin, accepted that I'd see everyone I know and love in a coffin one day, and got used to the fact. Now, before I let someone get close, I make sure to admit to myself that they will reject me or die someday, but I let them close regardless.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I haven't lost anyone too close yet, but I guess I have a plan.

I won't let them down by crying over them.
Most of the people I know would want me to remember them well, instead of sitting around moping.
If we make the memories of these people sad ones, then they'll be forgotten so that we can be happy again.
If we make the memories good ones, though, we'll want to remember all the great things we did with them.

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
It's not too recent, but I lost both of my grandfathers in the last year, one from lung cancer and one from Motor Neurone Disease.

I'm not sure how to describe my reactions. The first one, my dad's dad, was less... I dunno, sad, because his family were all really cheery, only remembering the good times. Which is how you should be remembered really. We remarked that the priest must've thought we were crazy when he came to visit on the day of the funeral, because we were all in stitches. I only felt properly sad when my nan did. When she let her demeanour slip, and she started crying, or just went sad, I started feeling the same.

When my second grandfather died, it was a more sombre affair, with a huge extended family paying their respects. It was a lot easier for me to be sad then. Especially when I was given his copy of a poetry book he used to read to me, and I tried to read our favourite poem.

I'd only just gotten to know my grandparents as individuals in the last few years, because as a child I always just knew them as people who were always there. After the deaths, and still today, I've noticed that I never stop thinking. About something. Anything. My mind never seems to be quiet. I don't know whether I'm trying to protect myself or something, but it's what I've noticed...And, I don't know whether it's just typical teenage-ness, but I'm finding it almost impossible to be enthusiastic/optimistic about anything.

Not fun, but not as bad as others in this thread.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I didn't handle it. I put it away in a box in the back of my mind and tried to get away from it.

That's why I have depression and that's why I'm a dick!

*massive smile*