On Time Travel

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Not such if anyone else has mentioned this, but what about Timesplitters Future Perfect, which was basicly about a guy time travelling?

MelonGrenade

Nov 9, 2009
Dunno about you guys, but I couldn't stop laughing at Chris E.
TimeSplitters 1, 2 and 3, anyone?

Edit: I should read the thread before posting.

THGhost

Mar 18, 2009
Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time.
Bugs Bunny and Taz: Time Busters.
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

"which was thoroughly infused with his characteristic sense of ***humor***."

Tut tut, Yahtzee. You're British. Stick to British spelling!

Please don't shoot

Jul 12, 2010
Am I the only one who played shadow of memories, I'd just like some confirmation that it is a real game and not something I invented on a bad acid trip or too much Stilton before bed time. At one point in the game someone is hiding behind a tree and shoots you and you have to go back in time and make sure it doesn't happen, now you might think simple, go back to earlier that day and drop a large heavy object on the guy or maybe break into his house and take his gun but no, what you have to do is go back a few hundred years and stop the tree being planted. The gunman now doesn't have a tree to hide behind and so gives up. The missing tree has no effect on anything else. This is standard logic for this game.

SerAaron

May 30, 2009
i haven't read this whole thread so i dunno if someones already said this.

but my favorite game with time shifting in it was Time splitters 3.
just because it's fun.
for those who haven't played it; you play a guy like the guy from Ghost in the Shell (the one with the metal eyes and the bloodhound) and your near the end of time, as a big alien race are devouring everyone or something... anyway, these aliens feed off cracks in the universe or something (or possibly that they came out through the cracks in the fabric of the unoiverse or something... i can't remember). anyway you go back in time to stop a dude in the 1900's who found some crystals or something... then you chase him through time until he turns into a necromorph from Dead space and it's very fun.
the plot is very linear and you end up in some pretty odd places. (one minuet you'll be fighting robots in the future and helping your future self kill a load of dudes... the next you'll be in a haunted manor fighting zombies with a slut. theres tonnes of paradoxes and the plot doesn't make much sence. but it's very fun and i recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it, if they like time game things...

Frozedon

Jul 16, 2009
Well, one of my favorite games that used time travel had to be Zelda: A Link To The Past. But, the only thing that bothers me is that i can't figure out if it really went back in time or was just transporting to another dimension. Meh. But, anyway. I'm pretty it's to the past. i always loved playing in the past (or dark world). It's a lot more fun killing monsters then those cheap guards with Invincible shields.

GunbladeKnight

May 11, 2009
All the games were mentioned before, but a few games I liked using time-travel in any way:

Lost Vikings - A fun puzzle/platformer with 3 characters you had to constantly switch through (made easier with a 6-button Genesis controller). One that can jump and bash walls down, one that has a bow and a nigh-useless sword, and one that has a shield that acts as a parachute as well. The sequel replaced the sword with a robot arm that can be used to swing across chasms. It is also a Blizzard (Formerly Snowblind, who also did Rock n' Roll Racing) game, and they are even in Uldaman.

Turtles in Time - Even though I preferred the 3rd game for the NES, it was still fun.

Space Quest IV - You travel between Space Quest games, not time-lines. Though that one part in Space Quest I is pretty hard because you need to be perfect in your timing.

Chrono Trigger - You could manipulate different things, and get different endings based on when you killed the final boss.

Final Fantasy VIII - Yes, I did like it. And it makes such a nice time loop at the end, plus I love "Eyes On Me". Not to mention living through (Spoiler)Squall's father, Laguna's life.(/Spoiler)

World of Warcraft - Anything involving the bronze dragonflight. Also the final scene of the Death Knight starting area.

Vorondil

Jan 1, 2010
I choose Okami. It's temporal mechanics are only used in a story-telling/cinematic sense, but when I played it through my first time, it surprised me fully, and I was awed. (As a side-note, I claim that game to be made of pure gold)

Shieldage

May 20, 2010
Final Fantasy Legend III for the Gameboy has monsters that exist on a cloud island set outside of time flood the planet. The last survivors send four kids (your group) back in time to prevent it. After assembling your own time machine you can travel between the mostly dry "Past" which is a few years before you were beamed in, the slightly flooded "Present" that you grew up in and the covered-with-water-but-for-islands "Future" where you meet four-year-old versions of yourselves before times became *really* desperate. It has the "plant a seed to solve a puzzle" mechanic and I think it also has the "see a chest, open it in the future then open it in the present to get extra loot" one. However, you could not do any time-travelling in the final section of the game, once you left 'Earth', which was a let down.

I agree with previous reviewers. Journeyman Project 3 rocks.

TimeQuest by Legend is awesome, especially that thing you need to do in most eras to complete a stable time loop. Setting up prophecies and fulfilling them was also incredible. Managing your turns with a (fairly ample) per-era-countdown was interesting and sometimes frustrating. In one era you had (I estimate) 150 turns to solve the main puzzle. I once spent 137 of those exploring and collecting things that I needed in other eras before hopping out. I had completed another third of the game before I came back to realize that I didn't have enough time left on the clock to finish the place and so I'd basically rendered the game unwinnable. The sense of humor was also great, at one point you have to trade a vial of immensely powerful aphrodesiac (that turns you into a yeti if you eat it alone) for something that sets off a chain of items that you eventually trade for a quest-relevant bevy of harem girls (that will exhaust you to death if you try to sleep with them unaided). I once spent an hour trying to manage the time travel system so I could have both at the same time, but it seems to be impossible.

I was less impressed by Enchanter.

guiltless

Feb 11, 2010
My favorite time travel game happened to be timesplitters future perfect with all its paradoxs included.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Zyphonee said:
Chris E. is a mind full of beauty. His letter was not only eloquent, but I even sensed a subtle tone of mockery, which only continued to prove his argument. This is why here I decided to show everyone who might read this, a draft for an open letter to Mr. Barrack Obama:

" Dear Barrack Obama,
It is with most humbleness that I, just a member of the usual feist, decided I should state that your a fag who likes to kiss other men because their black like you and you can't take charge of the country for shit your wife is ugly she's like a thiner version of Opra and your gay.

Awaiting your reply,
An anonymous."
Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, is it not? :D

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
No mention of Legacy of Kain?? It doesnt have time travel as a gameplay mechanic but it does have a good plot around it. The timeline is strong as fate itself but has been manipulated so many times in favor of the villains that the heroes need to find a way fight against it.

Who are the villans and the heroes?? well....that will take some time.