Once Upon a Time Premiere Explores the Devil Inside

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
Once Upon a Time Premiere Explores the Devil Inside

The fairy-tale-meets-real-world series is back for season 4 and doing what it does best: exploring its villains' eternal struggle with redemption.

Read Full Article

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, Regina wants to find who wrote the book.

Something tells me we're finally going to see how the Brothers Grimm figure into all of this.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Sylocat said:
So, Regina wants to find who wrote the book.

Something tells me we're finally going to see how the Brothers Grimm figure into all of this.
I doubt that. First of all, the Grimm were folk tale collectors, not writers, besides, they recorded very few of the OUAT characters.

On the other hand, Rumple has just found Yen Sid's hat, and with Yen Sid always having been representing Walt Disney, (spell the name backwards), that makes more sense, given that the show itself is made by Disney.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I'm disappointed that they went with the Disney version of the Ice Queen, seeing as the show has really remodeled most of the other characters in their own way. I assume this was a direct order from Disney themself, seeing as they are really pushing the whole Frozen thing up everyone's @$$.

Overall though, I thought the episode was OK but didn't really go anywhere at all other than introduce the Ice Queen (Elsa). Also I really don't like retreading the same things over again, with Regina going back to her old ways, flip-flopping all the damn time. It gets old. It was interesting to see her struggle to become a better person but now it just seems like it's repeating itself with this new bit of her wanting to get rid of the Marian character.

vid87

May 17, 2010
deathzero021 said:
Overall though, I thought the episode was OK but didn't really go anywhere at all other than introduce the Ice Queen (Elsa). Also I really don't like retreading the same things over again, with Regina going back to her old ways, flip-flopping all the damn time. It gets old. It was interesting to see her struggle to become a better person but now it just seems like it's repeating itself with this new bit of her wanting to get rid of the Marian character.
It really does feel like they're jogging in place until they figure something else out. I get that she hasn't gotten the love and respect she deserves but the writers seem intent on preserving the "evil" part of her to please fans despite that, as far as I'm concerned, she was past that a least a season ago. I'm also not fond of the episode featuring two adult women crying in a corner - it's one thing if it fits a specific character, it's another when they're two powerful figures who largely fulfilled their own emotional arcs a while ago.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Actually the fake dagger was the one he gave her at the end of the last episode. He even says as such when he talks to Baelfire at his grave. When he does the switch it is to give her the real one. I assume that since he knows where she keeps the dagger the scene with the box was him making secret use of it rather than stealing back but I could be wrong.

Kusko25

Jan 17, 2012
Vault Citizen said:
Actually the fake dagger was the one he gave her at the end of the last episode. He even says as such when he talks to Baelfire at his grave. When he does the switch it is to give her the real one. I assume that since he knows where she keeps the dagger the scene with the box was him making secret use of it rather than stealing back but I could be wrong.
Thank you.
I thought I had gotten that wrong.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
deathzero021 said:
I'm disappointed that they went with the Disney version of the Ice Queen, seeing as the show has really remodeled most of the other characters in their own way. I assume this was a direct order from Disney themself, seeing as they are really pushing the whole Frozen thing up everyone's @$$.

I agree, but I understand it's how shows draw out the drama (they did this the first season with "will Snow and Charming get back together?" over and over and over again). I'm sure if it was a mini-series or movie, there wouldn't be so much excess fat, but it's how TV shows hook fans into checking it out week to week.

But the Elsa thing wasn't a direct order from Disney. The show writers fell in love with the movie too and specifically asked to do a story with her and said they were given the freedom to pretty much do what they wanted. To be fair, it is a brilliant marketing move, Elsa is already a complex villain/heroine, and the show specializes in misunderstood fairy tale "villains", making her a perfect fit. The original Ice Queen story was quite black & white, and this version is still riding high on popularity at the moment.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Oh and something else I mention
What Rumple plans to do to avenge his son's death (he already killed The Wicked Witch)
When he was talking about avenjng his son, he meant that he had already avenged his son. He was saying "ok I lied but I needed to do it to avenge you, now I have my vengeance I am going to give her the real dagger and try to be a good person"