One and Done

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Great article, Andrew. I think it's kind of funny that you mentioned Smash Bros. 'cause I was actually going to ask you about your take on that exact game.

Anyway, I understand your feelings on the issue and even, to a certain extent, empathize with them. God knows I've tried to 100% the first two Mass Effects on multiple occasions, but just haven't been able to push myself through them.

Here's the thing you don't really address, though: although you're right about the fact that, for the most part, your repeat playthroughs won't have the same pull or feel as the first one did, I find that this effect tends to lessen the more time has gone on since your last run.

Case in point: I love the KotOR series. I've made several characters of various class, gender and alignment combinations. Each time, though, I tend to have a somewhat unique experience because I let months, sometimes years, elapse before I start a new character. And during these alternate playthroughs, I don't usually say to myself, "Well, I haven't made a sith character yet, so I might as well do that for completion's sake"; In fact, I tend to just play through as my mood permits.

Sometimes I say to myself that my character has this kind of personality and I should stick to choices that he or she would make (one of the few cases in which I find myself actually role playing in a video game). Other times I tend to play as though I were really in the situation, myself. Most of the time, though, I just do what amuses me. I'll play two-thirds of the way into the game as a straight-arrow, no nonsense good guy, then, without warning, force lightning anything that looks at me sideways, just because I can.

The point is, though, that because I've let my memories of my past decisions wane, I can still enjoy a lot of those decisions a second or third time through, because I have no idea what I did last time or how it turned out. I can still get that unique playthrough that's different from someone else's, like Mr. Cage intended.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I must agree. No matter how many times I've played through Persona 3, no matter how much knowledge I acquire, no matter how overpowered I know how to make myself, it will never be the same as the first time I played through and experienced what the game had to offer. I still remember lugging around a Take-Minakata that far outlived its usefulness because I didn't like any of the other Zio-casting Personas. Nowadays, I just fuse a quad-element Lilim and use that exclusively, apart from bosses, to destroy a good third of Tartarus. It's fun to perfect your strategy, but it's not the same as your first experience with a game.

Even Minecraft, a game that's always, ALWAYS different, isn't the same as before. I spent my first night hiding in a box, scared as hell of Creepers. Nothing has been able to replicate that same feeling.

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
I completely agree, and if I buy my future kid a sixty-dollar Lego set, I will expect them to build what's on the box and nothing else. I will punish and shame my child if they decide to take it apart and rebuild it to see if they can do different things, because they are ruining the artistic value of the designers' intent.

More seriously, I can kind of see where he's coming from, but even with the increasing number of games that are a step away from being rail shooters with absolutely no reason to play again anyway, it only works with a handful of games. Even that group and "games with interesting stories" do not have anywhere near 100% overlap on a Venn diagram. Play Alpha Centauri or Civ 4 once? Only do the content in WoW once, no alts, not even a character in the other faction? And that's not even counting non-story multiplayer in games with story-based singleplayer that you don't feel the need to play more than once.

Myself, I consider it insulting to the artistic value of the game if I don't do my best to find and experience as much of the content as I can. I mean, even if you only play the alternate origins in a game like Dragon Age--not a bad idea if you're not a rabid completionist--you're still getting a very different (if much shorter) story and game experience if you first played a human noble warrior and decide to go for an elf mage or dwarf rogue next time.

That's the advantage of games where it's not just striving for victory but you making choices. If there's enough freedom, it's not treading the same ground. You may as well be playing a different game using the same engine.

Playing only once works for the writer, and that's fine. Boats float, etc. But I don't think I'm alone in saying that the feeling of playing my games for the very first time is not the only kind of worthwhile enjoyment I get out of it.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
The Jak & daxter series is one I can play through a few times in 1 sitting. Once you finish the campaign you can unlock 'hero mode' (increased difficulty) but you can keep all the cheats you unlocked in normal mode (unlimited ammo, invulnerable, etc.) which does make it quite fun to play through again, even though you know what's coming and what to do.

Apart from that most games get completed and then shelved for a few months, after a while I'll play it again and depending on how I feel about it on the 2nd run it either stays and repeats the play/shelf cycle or gets traded in for something new. It mostly depends on the game; shooters like CoD get one proper play through then an achievement grab run and then they're gone (unless the multiplayer is really good) but games like mass effect that are totally different depending on what class you are can stay on the cycle for months or years while I work through all the options.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
The mark of a great game is like that of a great book. Its something that grabs your attention and maintains a special place in your memory. It becomes a mark or standard, that other games are measured to. When you see it on the shelf and the dust is blown off, fond memories are brought back and that instant urge to break out the old system, pick out your game food, and prepare for a trip down memory lane is something we all have from our earliest days of mashing keys and single button joysticks on the old black and white.