One-handed Mouse-Only Computer Games?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Shaun Kennedy said:
No... not like THAT you pervs...
Well...visual novels would be very easy to play with one hand, just don't get the pervy ones, haha.

Other than that, strategy anything really. Age of Empires. Oh and Torchlight II or anything Diablo-like would be playable.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Actually XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be played VERY well with just the mouse. Every command, choice, and action in the game can be completed using just the mouse. While every action also has a key tied to it as well, you're given the option of clicking a button on the screen to achieve the same effect. The turn-based nature of the game works very well with this as well, since you have time to think through your actions and move the mouse to the appropriate position without being penalized. On top of all of that, its a fantastic game in its own right, and I have spent roughly 100 hours with it so far. Great game.

I spent many hours playing this game with one hand on the mouse, and the other shoving pizza and chips in my face. Makes for a nice lazy weekend let me tell ya.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
Dead Century said:
Shaun Kennedy said:
Well...visual novels would be very easy to play with one hand, just don't get the pervy ones, haha.

Other than that, strategy anything really. Age of Empires. Oh and Torchlight II or anything Diablo-like would be playable.
I thought about Diablo? But in that game you have to neck potions, swap weapons, change active skills, and utilize Shift for stationary attacking... it ends up with you having just too many buttons to fit on a relatively standard mouse - that is, one with two buttons, a clickable scroll wheel, and 2-3 side/thumb buttons. If something like the aforementioned Naga is introduced.. well, that thing would just completely change what could be possibly recommended. D2 and Torchlight would be very playable with one of those.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Point and Click Adventures
Visual Novels
Hack and Slay like Diablo 3 if he gets a mouse like Razor Naga or Naga Hex
Some platform puzzlers like Braid and Closure with Keyboard
any mobile game adaption for PC that's intended to work with 1 Finger
Puzzle games like Bewejeled
Shumps with Keyboard
most turnbased games
boardgame conversions
many flash games (check out kongregate for example)
Tower Defenses (if they dont involve running around in a 3d environment)

someone mentioned Legend of Grimrock, but iirc this doesn't sound very comfortable with mouse only, but could be wrong.

PS: some adventure recommendations would probably be Gemini Rue, The Dig, Primordia if he likes Sci-Fi, The Cat Lady kinda has a intersting touch as well. If he's into the more funny territory, maybe check out the Deponia series.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Any pausable RPG would probably work just fine with mouse-only, once you map the pause button to something on the mouse.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Zeterai said:
Dead Century said:
Shaun Kennedy said:

I thought about Diablo? But in that game you have to neck potions, swap weapons, change active skills, and utilize Shift for stationary attacking... it ends up with you having just too many buttons to fit on a relatively standard mouse - that is, one with two buttons, a clickable scroll wheel, and 2-3 side/thumb buttons. If something like the aforementioned Naga is introduced.. well, that thing would just completely change what could be possibly recommended. D2 and Torchlight would be very playable with one of those.
Oh yeah. Been awhile since I've played the first Diablo, but Torchlight is quite easy, everything you need is clickable on screen. Interestingly enough, I have a friend that was born with one arm, we still play games together, so I try to think about this kind of stuff. Mostly we play Civ 5.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
How about a hardware solution to this problem?

http://stinkyboard.com/stinkyboard/

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Shaun Kennedy said:
I encountered someone who unfortunately has one paralyzed arm who told me he used to play video games a lot as a kid when he still could. I mentioned that there were probably lots of PC games he could play one handed with just a mouse.
Most strategy games are playable with Mouse only. Total War, XCOM, Civ, etc.
If they got a mouse with loads of configurable buttons then games with only a few keyboard controls (wasd plus one or two others tops) might be playable, though it could be frustrating.
Stuff like Minecraft, Antichamber, Portal, also platformers like Limbo.

This might be a daft suggestion, but has your friend thought of trying some kind of trackball mouse, stylus pad, or joystick?

heyjax9

Jun 16, 2014
You never made it clear that it absolutely needs to be a mouse, but Grim Fandango uses only the keyboard and i could see using only one hand to play it.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Again, there are quite a few one handed controllers. Some even support Xinput and most emulate mouse. Take a look yourself
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-onehand.htm

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
If I could chime in, (one of my fav games ever aswell) Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete.
To this day I still love playing it, you can completely play the game with only the mouse. Put in random map/random forts/xl size, voila, youll have something to do for 'atleast' 8 hours if you dont do the 'go for the throat' tactic.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
If he's a motherfucking boss, he could also try a Paradox Grand strategy title, like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4. Might wanna bind pause to a thumb button, but otherwise I hardly use my keyboard at all.

And as has already been mentioned, I would also recommend Divinity: Original Sin. I'm currently co-oping it with my brother, and it's the bee's knees, no doubt about it. Best RPG I've played in a while, to be honest. And it's turn-based during combat, so no reflexes or quick inputs involved.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
All games that I have on the PC have been listed here. Which is nuts in a way. I will add Spore(don't hurt me) and any Tycoon Games that I know of. The Age of Empires games(mainly two)are excellent for a mouse but a Razer Naga mouse solves all but most intense FPS games. Even then, it is plausible. Dark Souls would be a neat challenge to turn into a mouse only game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You can play pretty much any modern shooter with just a mouse provided you have enough programmable buttons.

Take the razer naga for example, you have 12 programmable buttons that can all be accessed with your thumb, plus the left click, right click, and scroll wheel. Set 4 of the programmable buttons to WASD, and the rest as you see fit. With the right setup you can move, jump, aim down sights, and shoot, throw grenades, switch guns, and access inventory all with one hand, it'll just take some practice.

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
I'm surprised we've gone this far without specifically mentioning Command & Conquer. Sure the last few games play like arse and the closed alpha for the new one refuses to connect to any servers, but Command & Conquer (the original), Red Alert 2, and Generals: Zero Hour were all gems in the gaming world.

I play them even to this day, partly because they're just that fantastical, but mostly because I could lay back on my couch and play the entirety of the games with the mouse resting neatly on my massive jiggling neck-beard belly.

I never even taught myself how to use the keyboard shortcuts and still had a blast both online and offline! ... Okay, so maybe I cheated and used the deploy shortcut a little over-zealously in Red Alert 2, but I needed my dozens of darn G.I.s to get into defensive mode! D=

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
PlayerDos said:
Runescape.

If you only use your mouse you can just disable chat. Works perfectly because you don't have to talk to any of the complete retards that play.
Ninja'd in the first freakin post. Wow!