One Love Manchester, the most important modern concert in the UK?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
If the only thing this does is help smooth some frayed nerves or help mend a fractured soul then as far as I am concerned it has served a noble purpose.
personally i think you have summed it up perfectly

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
FateBinds said:
I doubt this has done much to prevent another attack.
It's not supposed to. Nobody thinks it will. It's a concert.

It's a fundraiser with a bit of a Fuck-You-We're-Going-To-Keep-Doing-Our-Thing message mixed in.

FateBinds said:
So... They aren't winning when they're able to consistently attack Europe and America?
FateBinds said:
You do realise, their only goal is to kill people, right? ISIS themselves have said time and time again that they're not out for any political goals. They just want to exterminate us.
They've also set up their own little bizzaro Caliphate nation on captured territory. That's a political goal if ever there was one.

Regardless, the thing is they simply don't have the means to kill enough of us to matter.

To put it in perspective, their current bodycounts in the West pale in comparison to even a quiet week of heart disease and suicide. We are eating ourselves to death and intentionally offing ourselves at a rate that makes terrorism look like the side show it is. The only reason anyone gives a shit about terrorism in the West is because it's dramatic and noisy and scary.

The only way they can cause meaningful damage to western societies is by provoking them into a wider conflict (and even that's a stretch). Which is part of the reason why it's frustrating to see people on "our" side calling for exactly that.

FateBinds said:
Poland is a pretty good example of what to do. Their population has rejected Islam, and refused to accept any people with that belief.
Whilst countries around them are attacked and innocents die, they have had all of 0 islamic attacks. Clearly they are doing the right thing to prevent these things from happening.
Poland hasn't been attacked because the people doing the attacking don't give a shit about Poland.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Well it is a nice gesture, quality of their "music" aside. However London cannot just carry on with life as usual. If there are people out there, regardless of political, racial or religious affiliation, who mean to perpetuate attacks on innocent civilians then they must be excised root and branch. If they mean harm to their fellow citizens then they are, by definition, criminals and should be dealt with accordingly. Regardless of the attackers' aims, just allowing them to keep trying is foolish in the extreme. There has to be a breaking point where the unity of the population disintegrates. It is imperative to stop them before this theoretical limit is reached.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Mechamorph said:
Well it is a nice gesture, quality of their "music" aside. However London cannot just carry on with life as usual. If there are people out there, regardless of political, racial or religious affiliation, who mean to perpetuate attacks on innocent civilians then they must be excised root and branch. If they mean harm to their fellow citizens then they are, by definition, criminals and should be dealt with accordingly. Regardless of the attackers' aims, just allowing them to keep trying is foolish in the extreme. There has to be a breaking point where the unity of the population disintegrates. It is imperative to stop them before this theoretical limit is reached.
The politics of it is huge now. Honestly think May has a lot to answer for, however that said Diane Abbot doesn;t exactly inspire much hope.

There's talks of giving Ariana the freedom of Manchester. No idea what that is but sounds cool.

Also, I've actually seen a facebook piece saying that Ariana planned all this to boost sales. Literally no words.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
The weak cluster together and swear it's all gonna be alright, fuck people if any there would go do anything about it but come together and end up raising lots of DONATIONS to help the families of the dead. There are a lot more families coming if this is all you will do.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
MrCalavera said:
it's not Ariana Grande's job to fight terrorism.
Yeah, this bears repeating.

Christ, it's depressing that people have to be told this.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
rosac said:
The politics of it is huge now. Honestly think May has a lot to answer for, however that said Diane Abbot doesn;t exactly inspire much hope.

There's talks of giving Ariana the freedom of Manchester. No idea what that is but sounds cool.

Also, I've actually seen a facebook piece saying that Ariana planned all this to boost sales. Literally no words.
Hopefully the Tories can do something useful. Admittedly I do not see Corbyn and his people doing a better job on that front.

I understand that in the modern era, being granted the Freedom of the City is an honorary award, used to be that meant that you could not be conscripted and could not be imprisoned by the nobility except for a royal crime.

As for the conspiracy theory... that is remarkably in poor taste.