One Million Wii Users "Participate" in Netflix

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
tk1989 said:
Not... user friendly? I'm sorry, but does that make all DVD players "not user friendly" because you have to change the DVD every time you want to change the film you are watching?
See, this is what happens when you speak in ignorance. The Xbox version of Netflix doesn't require a DVD ever - the Wii version requires that you pop the DVD into the machine every time you want to use it. How can you possibly argue that the Xbox is more user-friendly? Hell, every time you scratch the Wii disk you're going to need to order a new one!

Regarding my comments on the controller, to which several Wii fanboys have replied, I stand by my judgment. It just isn't as easy to scroll through the Netflix menus with the Wii controller as it is with the Xbox controller - the motion control constantly misinterprets what you're doing. Perhaps with a controller without motion control it would work fine.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
craddoke said:
tk1989 said:
Not... user friendly? I'm sorry, but does that make all DVD players "not user friendly" because you have to change the DVD every time you want to change the film you are watching?
See, this is what happens when you speak in ignorance. The Xbox version of Netflix doesn't require a DVD ever - the Wii version requires that you pop the DVD into the machine every time you want to use it. How can you possibly argue that the Xbox is more user-friendly? Hell, every time you scratch the Wii disk you're going to need to order a new one!
I am not speaking in ignorance. I know that you require the DVD to use Netflix on the Wii, but my point is that is not exactly a big deal. I am making the point that having to place a DVD into the drive is not that big a deal at all, and using that as a primary argument as to why it is superior on the Xbox over the Wii is a poor argument indeed. Why not come out with "on the xbox you get HD movies, whilst you do not on the Wii", that is an argument which is centred around the program in question, and a big advantage in that. Your argument is similar to saying that a game on the PC which doesn't require the disk after installation is better than the same game on a console because the console game will require the disk every time you boot it up, because apparently that makes the PC version more userfriendly? you aren't taking into account the main differences between the two, like which system the game plays better on/has more features...

Also, couldnt you say that like with every disk if you scratch it then you would have to get a new one....?

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
tk1989 said:
Your argument is similar to saying that a game on the PC which doesn't require the disk after installation is better than the same game on a console because the console game will require the disk every time you boot it up, because apparently that makes the PC version more userfriendly? ... Also, couldnt you say that like with every disk if you scratch it then you would have to get a new one....?
Exactly - streaming is superior to the CD/DVD as a means of content distribution. Much like LPs, 8 tracks, and cassette tapes before them, the CD/DVD is a technology destined to become obsolete (within the next decade - sooner if the FCC/Congress can get off their butts and subsidize a national broadband program). Here we have two systems that offer similar services but one of those systems relies on physical media and the other on streaming alone; the one that takes full advantage of the superior technology, obviating the need to keep track of and care for a delicate (and finicky) media device, is more user-friendly.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
craddoke said:
tk1989 said:

Regarding my comments on the controller, to which several Wii fanboys have replied, I stand by my judgment. It just isn't as easy to scroll through the Netflix menus with the Wii controller as it is with the Xbox controller - the motion control constantly misinterprets what you're doing. Perhaps with a controller without motion control it would work fine.
Regarding the Wiimote. Try it before commenting. I have had Netflix on Wii for a month now, and have never had a problem with the motion control. That's basically because Netflix on Wii DOES NOT USE MOTION CONTROL. Not mad here, just curious. Have you not ever seen it or used it yourself, or are you just a console fanboy Wii-hater and are lying to further spread your hate? Or both?

For everyone else, the truth is that you can either use the pointer function to select and scroll through the menu in much the same manner you would use a mouse on a computer, or you can use the control pad to do the same thing in exactly the same manner that you use the XBOX 360 controller to browse the menu in that version.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
Regarding the Wiimote.
Brush up on your reading comprehension! I clearly said that I own both an Xbox and Wii and have used both versions of the Netflix software. I'm sorry, the Wii controller is a clunky mess - using it to navigate the menus makes me feel drunk off my ass no matter how sober I am.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
craddoke said:
Kyrian007 said:
Regarding the Wiimote.
Brush up on your reading comprehension! I clearly said that I own both an Xbox and Wii and have used both versions of the Netflix software. I'm sorry, the Wii controller is a clunky mess - using it to navigate the menus makes me feel drunk off my ass no matter how sober I am.
Pardon me, it was just kind of hard to believe you've actually tried the Wii version. Not knowing that it does not use motion control, not knowing that one can simply use the directional pad and 2 buttons on the wiimote to control it exactly the same way that you can the on the 360. But as you've said, you use both versions, sorry for the mix up.