One Piece Manga Getting An American TV Series

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
No this is not a joke.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/one-piece-manga-gets-live-action-hollywood-tv-show/.119132

Yeah we're getting an American tv adaptation of Eiiricho Oda's long running manga series, courtesy of the producer of Teen Wilf and Prison Break.

Given Hollywood's history of live action adaptations of Japanese manga, this doesn't sound too promising.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
This is going to be the best thing ever. And by best thing ever, I mean an epic clusterfuck we won't be able to take our eyes off of.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Oh god...can't they keep their grubby little hands off of any of the good 'popular mainstream' anime/manga? Nothing good can come of this. Another manga/anime adaptation ny Hollywood that I will ignore and completely avoid whenever possible.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
On the other hand if they ship Luffy and Nami in this series than I am all for it.

And hey Goku got a wife, so why not Luffy?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
On the other hand if they ship Luffy and Nami in this series than I am all for it.

I can almost guarantee you they will do something along those lines. After all, who would watch a hollywood movie without a romance in it these days, right? /sarcasm

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's a good thing I'm not into One Piece otherwise I'd be devastated by this news. I still think it's incredibly stupid. American studios trying to adapt another culture's media never goes well. They always fuck it up.

CrazyGirl17 said:
Oooh... this is gonna be a train wreck, I just know it...
Don't you mean "shipwreck?"

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
At least they're not really ruining anything good, it's just be yet another shit TV show.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This is the least "adaptable to American TV" thing I can possibly think of.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Isn't One piece like 900 episodes long for the anime and like 90 volumes for the manga? And it's not even finished to boot.

Even accounting for filler I don't see them being able to do any sort of justice to it at this point, unless it gets like 5 seasons or a lot of creative editing, or both.

I haven't actually seen it(partially because of how fricken long it is at this point) but I have some idea of the universe and the plot.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
sanquin said:
Oh god...can't they keep their grubby little hands off of any of the good 'popular mainstream' anime/manga? Nothing good can come of this. Another manga/anime adaptation ny Hollywood that I will ignore and completely avoid whenever possible.
How on earth are they meant to transfer One Peices character designs,its entire thing was stupidly over the top stuff. Otherwise it just seems like their best bet is to make it like Pirates of the Caribbean but even more over the top.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:

Yeah, I'm not shocked if they do that in the live action series.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Yeah, I'm not shocked if they do that in the live action series.
I am sorry man but I really think they should be shipped together. Luffy saved this woman's LIFE and Luffy does not even know the full story.

I mean at least treat it like an Arnold and Helga like relationship. I can totally see Nami being a Tsundare for Luffy after the Arlong event or after other big events.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
I mean at least they won't be ruining anything of value.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
This is the least "adaptable to American TV" thing I can possibly think of.
Looks like somebody hasn't watched Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei... :)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Rather than make a Live Action TV Series, can't they just make a very quality done English Dub?

My problem with Funimation's Dub I feel some of the voices on the charcaters is inappropriate.

Luffy sounds too much like a girl since he is voiced by a female actress and sounds like Kid Trunks aswell, I never thought of Kid Trunks voice when hearing Luffy in English. I mean Aang in Avatar the Last Airbender was voiced by a proper aged young boy rather than a 40 year old woman trying her best to sound like a young teen boy.

And the voice actress for Robin totally did not nail that famous scene we all know of Robin, you guys know what scene I am talking about.

Usopp on the other hand I think his voice is perfect, I always saw Usopp as the Krillin of the series and him being voiced by him was a perfect match.

Sanji needs a French Accent, I am sorry the dude is French. Instead he sounds like Adult Trunks for some reason.

Franky needs to sound like Johnny Bravo, Brook needs a Posh British Accent.

And Zoro man I can think of a more differet and better sounding gruff and tough guy voice than Not Piccolo over here. I am sorry but Christopher Sabat has too much of a badguy's voice for Zoro.

Nami I think she should be voiced by Tara Strong and Robin should be voiced by Grey De Lesile.