One Piece Manga Getting An American TV Series

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fischgopf said:
Man, some people just WANT to fail, huh?
Yeah just who the hell are they gonna cast as Live Action Luffy and Nami and fuck, how are they gonna pull off Chopper?

I still cringe at the sight of "Goku" in Dragon Ball Evolution, Cringe that this actor is "Goku"

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Samtemdo8 said:
Fischgopf said:
Yeah just who the hell are they gonna cast as Live Action Luffy and Nami and fuck, how are they gonna pull off Chopper?
Seriously? You're wondering about Chopper, which can just be some CGI gagoo, and not wondering about Zoro, whose actor has to hold a sword in his teeth and fight with it? While holding and fighting with two more swords in his hands?

There is a reason why the anime always cut the camera or went blank with slash marks to represent Zoro's fighting: it's impossible to represent because it flat out isn't physically possible

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

There is literally no way one could possibly make this work in live action even on an HBO budget.

We could have had Psycho-Pass, we could have had Black Lagoon, or any other series that could do well live action, instead we got this.

Hollywood can't die soon enough.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:

There is literally no way one could possibly make this work in live action even on an HBO budget.

We could have had Psycho-Pass, we could have had Black Lagoon, or any other series that could do well live action, instead we got this.

Hollywood can't die soon enough.
Like I said, can't we have a more quality done English Dub then make a Live Action Adaption? I already explained how I think the characters should sound like in english in my above post.

SupahEwok said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fischgopf said:
Seriously? You're wondering about Chopper, which can just be some CGI gagoo, and not wondering about Zoro, whose actor has to hold a sword in his teeth and fight with it? While holding and fighting with two more swords in his hands?

There is a reason why the anime always cut the camera or went blank with slash marks to represent Zoro's fighting: it's impossible to represent because it flat out isn't physically possible
Well they can always just make a CGI sword on his mouth and don't film up close in his face while he is fighitng with it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Here's the thing, I've never watched or read One Piece. Aside from a nostalgic soft spot for Dragonball, shounen battle mange/anime are not my thing. But I know enough about it to see this as an ill-conceived idea.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Here's the thing, I've never watched or read One Piece. Aside from a nostalgic soft spot for Dragonball, shounen battle mange/anime are not my thing. But I know enough about it to see this as an ill-conceived idea.
That clip could be reused for pretty much all the movies in last year's 'Holywood's repertoire'. It's like all of the talented, creative people died in last 2 decades and all that these that are left are capable of, is bastardizing original work over and over. Just making it dumber, flashier and soulless husks of its original selves. I mean ffs they remade Jumanji... the f-k is wrong with Holywood?

residentout1

May 21, 2013
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Chimpzy said:
That clip could be reused for pretty much all the movies in last year's 'Holywood's repertoire'. It's like all of the talented, creative people died in last 2 decades and all that these that are left are capable of, is bastardizing original work over and over. Just making it dumber, flashier and soulless husks of its original selves. I mean ffs they remade Jumanji... the f-k is wrong with Holywood?
it's not so much that old was better I just we forget the crap go look at the top and bottom movies of the 70s how many bottom do people talk.(also the internet has not help it lets us document the good and bad)

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Fischgopf said:

I still cringe at the sight of "Goku" in Dragon Ball Evolution, Cringe that this actor is "Goku"

I used to be angry about Justin Chatwin, but Shameless kinda made me like the guy. Not his fault he had to work with a shit script and bad direction.

Chopper is clearly gonna be CGI

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Man, you guys are so negative. TV is in its golden age right now and I don't see why you can't make a good show based off One Piece or any anime. I'm hoping it's actually good so I can try out the one anime that's millions of episodes long that I hear is actually good. Give a solid few seasons of One Piece that's good while finishing the plot in a timely manner and not 1,000 episodes. If it sucks, so what? No one has to watch it.

Canadamus Prime said:
It's a good thing I'm not into One Piece otherwise I'd be devastated by this news.
Uhh... Why? It won't change anything about the anime or manga. If you were to find One Piece as the greatest thing ever made, it will still be the greatest thing ever made regardless of the quality of this upcoming show. Things can exist in parallel even if they are of the same IP.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Man, you guys are so negative. TV is in its golden age right now and I don't see why you can't make a good show based off One Piece or any anime. I'm hoping it's actually good so I can try out the one anime that's millions of episodes long that I hear is actually good. Give a solid few seasons of One Piece that's good while finishing the plot in a timely manner and not 1,000 episodes. If it sucks, so what? No one has to watch it.

Canadamus Prime said:
It's a good thing I'm not into One Piece otherwise I'd be devastated by this news.
Uhh... Why? It won't change anything about the anime or manga. If you were to find One Piece as the greatest thing ever made, it will still be the greatest thing ever made regardless of the quality of this upcoming show. Things can exist in parallel even if they are of the same IP.
Three words: Dragon Ball: Evolution
American adaptations of another county's media never turn out well because Americans "Americanize" it failing to understand what made it good in the first place.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
Phoenixmgs said:

Canadamus Prime said:
American adaptations of another county's media never turn out well because Americans "Americanize" it failing to understand what made it good in the first place.
Were you forced to watch Evolution? It can't ruin any part of Dragon Ball either. Even if like the creator makes a shit sequel that's officially canon, it doesn't ruin the prior movies like say the Matrix sequels or Star Wars prequels.

American adaptations aren't always bad, you'll find plenty with a simple Google search. Some even won Best Picture.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
On one hand they have a bad track record of adapting shit like this, on the other hand maybe, just maybe they can fix the god-awful pacing that has made the anime utterly unwatchable for me.

The weirdness and humour that infuses that setting better be present though or there will be blood I'm thinking.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:

Canadamus Prime said:
Others have mentioned the DBZ movie. I'll mention the live action Ghost in the Shell for how much it missed the point of the original movie. Nevermind the blatant white-washing of Major Kusanagi.

Things like these are why they'll fuck this up aswel. i hope it gets canceld just like the Akira live action movie.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Phoenixmgs said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Phoenixmgs said:

Canadamus Prime said:
Were you forced to watch Evolution? It can't ruin any part of Dragon Ball either. Even if like the creator makes a shit sequel that's officially canon, it doesn't ruin the prior movies like say the Matrix sequels or Star Wars prequels.

American adaptations aren't always bad, you'll find plenty with a simple Google search. Some even won Best Picture.
Even passable American adaptaions get canned cuz a main cast member will be outed as a sexual predator.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
Phoenixmgs said:

Canadamus Prime said:
Others have mentioned the DBZ movie. I'll mention the live action Ghost in the Shell for how much it missed the point of the original movie. Nevermind the blatant white-washing of Major Kusanagi.

Things like these are why they'll fuck this up aswel. i hope it gets canceld just like the Akira live action movie.
A TV project is quite different than a movie project. Sure, it'll probably be bad but 90% of everything is bad anyway. You might as well say everything should be cancelled because it'll probably suck. And if the people in charge of the show so make a crap show, they'll probably have made a crap show regardless of what it was so no quality show is lost anyway. If a One Piece TV show is actually good, there's a huge upside there so why not? I'm not gonna watch a 1,000 episode anime but I would watch a few good seasons of One Piece that concludes in a timely manner.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Phoenixmgs said:

Canadamus Prime said:

It's still not fun to see the name of something you enjoy attached to shit. I don't get as outraged as a lot of people over these things, but yeah it still unpleasant.

Also name one.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
'Flashback of Cringe'

Am I the only one who thought that for the budget you were going to get and the relative quality of the source material, this was the best live-action adaptation of the original Dragonball you were ever going to hope for? It, at least, had the basic elements: Goku (and his space-were-wolf origins), Bulma, Chi-chi & Picillo. Hell, it even had a nod to Yamcha's initially semi-villainous roots.

Hell, I love DB & DBZ but I recognize that I was a kid watching it and it's abridged series is the only way I can appreciate it now.

**edit**
Also CinemaSins sucks.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
It's still not fun to see the name of something you enjoy attached to shit. I don't get as outraged as a lot of people over these things, but yeah it still unpleasant.

Also name one.
But why? Potentially more quality media from an IP you like is only a good thing. If it sucks, you still have everything else that's good. If it's good, you have more good stuff then. There is literally nothing lost.

The Departed won Best Picture.