One Pokemon To Rule Them All

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
elbrandino said:
Magikarp.

What? Don't look at me like that. Magikarp. (Yes I know it's not a legendary or a starter but you should see some of the strategies with that thing).
You mean bully drum baton passing and the like?
Yeah, you can do that with any Pokemon you just need a bad opponent.

lukeyk

Feb 10, 2010
Cloyster.... need I say more?
Shell smash. Shell smash. Shell smash. Icicle spear. Icicle spear.
Then imagine that in real life. Pure utter madness.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All hail Garchomp! Even if it does got weakness to ice just teach it a fire move and it's ever more powerful!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sikratua said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Arceus may be a god but Mewtwo could probably take over his mind as with any other pokemon, which, IMO, is kinda cheating though but still.
Arceus equips Dark Plate. Problem solved.

That said, I'll take a hacked Wonder Guard Spiritomb into that fight.
Fine, let's looks at what Mewtwo's probably gonna use instead then

Force Choke
Invulnerability (Yes, he has that freaking move in the anime.)
or
Death Ray

So lessee, you got... absolutely no chance here I think.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Dragonite, the amount of moves it can learn is unreal.

For example.

Dragonite vs a Charizard: Rock throw, surf, waterfall, dive or rock slide.

Dragonite vs another dragon type: Ice Beam or any dragon type move.

Dragonite vs a flying/water type: Thunder or the more accurate thunderbolt

I think the picture should be clear by now, Dragonite rules.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
knight of some random number said:
Gyarados is faster and has Ice Fang. Dragonite doesn't stand a chance.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Any pokemon with psychic powers since it could melt a mind (cause dark wont resist psychic in real life.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sikratua said:
Dragonite has a bulky defense of 90, and learns both thunder punch and thunder bolt, as well as just plain thunder. Or hell, even Shockwave.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Sikratua said:
True I built an all round water team in Pokemon Black (for fun) and Gyarados is a part of it, so I'm well aware of his speed.

However type/move advantage doesn't always guarantee a win, you have to consider the possibly of held items such as the Quick Claw or Focus Sash.

However I do get what your saying in a one on one fight without items, Gyarados Ice Fang or any other ice attack will most likely strike first.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Arceus would be the correct answer, seeing as in the pokeworld it is essentially God.

However, Deoxys is a pretty bad ************. I like him (it).

Arceus is the first pokemon. It is the pokemon God.

And to clarify: Mew is the first species of non-god pokemon (as in not palkia, dialga, groudon, etc.) from which all other pokemon species evolved. It's like the universal ancestor theory of evolution, stemming from the development cycle of the human embryo which was thought to be representative of an evolutionary line, which is why mew was designed to look (sort of) like an embryo.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Dragonite has a bulky defense of 90, and learns both thunder punch and thunder bolt, as well as just plain thunder. Or hell, even Shockwave.
Going by Somgon's stat layout for Gyarados, he's got 125 attack, which is pretty beefy. He's also got a very divrse moveset that can find weaknesses in just about every pokemon. Honestly, Gyarados is a perfect fit for the Expert Belt. (Expert Belt increases the attack power of a Super Effective attack by 20%.)

Gyarados's attack power, plus Dragonite's double weakness to Ice, plus an additional 20%.... If Dragonite doesn't get the first hit in, he's in for a load of hurt, with a real possibility for a one hit kill.

Which brings me to....

True I built an all round water team in Pokemon Black (for fun) and Gyarados is a part of it, so I'm well aware of his speed.

However type/move advantage doesn't always guarantee a win, you have to consider the possibly of held items such as the Quick Claw or Focus Sash.

However I do get what your saying in a one on one fight without items, Gyarados Ice Fang or any other ice attack will most likely strike first.
Taking another look on Smogon, I notice that Gyarados is only slightly faster than Dragonite. Literally, 81 to 80, according to Smogon. That's actually in the realm of being overcome with EV training for the Dragonite. That said, it wouldn't unheard-of for a Gyarados to go through the same EV training.

I do like that you brought up items, since that really does change the layout of a battle, if you know what you're doing with them. I especially like Focus Sash, because of the extra life it can give. Quick Claw, however, only has a 1 in 8 proc rate. That really is a huge risk you'd be taking with that one. Granted, the payoff is huge, if it works.

For a Dragonite, since Ice is its BIG weakness, I'd consider a Yache Berry, since that would cut the weakness to half for a single hit. I might just make all the difference. Similarly, a Wacan Berry would do the same to protect Gyarados from and Electric attack. Gyarados vs. Dragonite really is an interesting battle, because it's all about whether or not they can survive the other, since they both have the ability for a one hit kill.

If I were using the Focus Sash, I'd actually throw it onto Shedinja. "My Shedinja has 2 Hit Points now!" Well, I think it's funny, anyway. Can we all agree that if we come across a Rattata with Focus Sash, we're aiming the attacks at the trainer?