One scene was removed from the new "IT"-movie for being "too disturbing"

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
So I like horror-movies, but I'm not a huge fan of slasher movies. Upon reading this interview with Bill Skarsg?rd, I find myself wondering:

How can brutal mutilation in "Saw" be OK, but a scene that is referred to as "disturbing" cannot be included in what is supposed to be a SCARY movie? The scene in question is said to explain some of the backstory for Pennywise, and how Pennywise came to be. This to me sounds absolutely fantastic to include in the final cut, but ends up being removed because a scene in a scary movie is too scary?

The biggest problem I have with most horror movies is they're either too damn predictable, or they're actually gore-fests, and not really scary; a distinction I wish could be made more often, since slasher and gore-fests usually have a much poorer plot than actual horror movies. I don't mind people dying, it's just that I don't need to see every piece of flesh on their bodies get torn off.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Nah. It was removed from It so they can sell it as "being too terrifying/disturbing for theaters" on the Blu-ray.

The marketing machine for that has already started.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
That makes a lot of sense. I actually haven't seen the movie yet (only seen the original, and VERY disappointed by the ending), but it's one of those that I might end up actually buying on BD.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If the movie was PG-13 I'd believe it - movies being toned down to fit the PG-13 bill happens all the time. Like Event Horizon. Or maybe if it had been made 90 years ago like the original King Kong, and audiences were still as impressionable as they used to be back then. But in 2017 IT has an R rating, and claiming your R-rated movie had to be toned down sounds like showing off.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
To be fair what Pennywise really is is the twist in the last scenes of the sequel. And spoilers you'll be laughing your ass off.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
To be fair what Pennywise really is is the twist in the last scenes of the sequel. And spoilers you'll be laughing your ass off.
Spoiler: It's a cat.

...Not really.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
not sure what they meant by disturbing... i doubt it's because it's too gory. probably more ackward... apparently the scene was in the 1600's and be about pennywise before he took the appearence of pennywise. so, maybe it's about It dealing with the first settlement in Derry. in both the book and the movie it's noted that the first settlers all disappeared but there's not much detail about it. They say that the scene hint that It have lived a very long time before the humans came in Derry.

Twinrehz said:
That makes a lot of sense. I actually haven't seen the movie yet (only seen the original, and VERY disappointed by the ending), but it's one of those that I might end up actually buying on BD.
the end in the mini serie is probably closer to the book than the one in the movie... well a bit. in the book they do use silver slug, but not in the final encounter. the silver only work if It take the form of something that can be killed by silver, because It is bind by the form he's taking. if you see It as a vampire, you can kill him with a stake in the heart, but if you see It in another form, then the stake will have no effect.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
If the movie was PG-13 I'd believe it - movies being toned down to fit the PG-13 bill happens all the time. Like Event Horizon. Or maybe if it had been made 90 years ago like the original King Kong, and audiences were still as impressionable as they used to be back then. But in 2017 IT has an R rating, and claiming your R-rated movie had to be toned down sounds like showing off.
Just a point, Event Horizon and Starship Troopers both had scenes removed to keep an R-rated movie from getting hit with an NC-17 rating, which is an absolute death sentence for any profits. Theaters don't run NC-17 movies period. It's the same way with Big Box stores and AO-rated video games.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
cathou said:
not sure what they meant by disturbing... i doubt it's because it's too gory. probably more ackward... apparently the scene was in the 1600's and be about pennywise before he took the appearence of pennywise. so, maybe it's about It dealing with the first settlement in Derry. in both the book and the movie it's noted that the first settlers all disappeared but there's not much detail about it. They say that the scene hint that It have lived a very long time before the humans came in Derry.

Twinrehz said:
the end in the mini serie is probably closer to the book than the one in the movie... well a bit. in the book they do use silver slug, but not in the final encounter. the silver only work if It take the form of something that can be killed by silver, because It is bind by the form he's taking. if you see It as a vampire, you can kill him with a stake in the heart, but if you see It in another form, then the stake will have no effect.
They're threatening with a sequel, it seems. More focused on the adult period of the main characters, whereas this first one was more on their childhood period. (According to what I read).

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Twinrehz said:
They're threatening with a sequel, it seems. More focused on the adult period of the main characters, whereas this first one was more on their childhood period. (According to what I read).
yes, it was the intention to do two movies from the start. but the adult timeline is actually a bit boring and doesnt have enough story to hold a movie by itself. they are suppose to mix the adult time line with flashback to some events in the kid timeline that wasnt covered in the first film (they apparently shoot at least two scene that wasnt in the first movie, and that were kept for the second one), and some more lore about what It is.

i'm very courious about what will be the budget. It did a faily good result with 34 millions, but i guess that if the director goes to see the board saying : "hey, i think the visual effect will be a lot better with 20 million more..." he should have no trouble to find money...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
twistedmic said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Just a point, Event Horizon and Starship Troopers both had scenes removed to keep an R-rated movie from getting hit with an NC-17 rating, which is an absolute death sentence for any profits. Theaters don't run NC-17 movies period. It's the same way with Big Box stores and AO-rated video games.
What scene was deleted from Starship Troopers?

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Silentpony said:
twistedmic said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What scene was deleted from Starship Troopers?
According to what I've read online, it was a scene of a soldier getting decapitated during the final battle.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
twistedmic said:
Huh...that's a weird reason given...

PsychedelicDiamond said:
If it's not the pre-teen orgy I'm out of ideas.
Given that one of the boys is very clearly a self-insert of Stephen King, at least in the book, I can understand why that bonkers scene has never made it to the screen.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I thought the scene that was removed from the movie was a kid getting broken in half and stuffed in a fridge. Or am I thinking of a different movie? Pretty sure it was It though that said this scene was removed.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
PsychedelicDiamond said:
If it's not the pre-teen orgy I'm out of ideas.
It was acceptable in the 80s..

twistedmic said:
Yeah, both those movies were R-rated in their final cuts, and for good reason.

The problem with Event Horizon in particular is that with a lot of the extreme violence and gore removed it was just kind of a boring movie. They tried to save bits of it by using it as very fast cuts in the hallucination and flashback scenes, but often viewers didn't register it and therefore kind of tuned it out, which is why I think people remember it being more teen-friendly than its rating suggests.

Starship troopers got off easier because it was at least fun, and the gore level was generally more manageable so the scenes which got removed didn't impact the final product much.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
If it wasn't the teenage orgy I vote for the flying leeches.
That creeped teenage me waaaay the fuck out.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Wereduck said:
i wonder if the scene where he kill his 6 months old baby brother when he's himself 5 years old might fall into the too disturbing category... Patrick is reaaaaly fucked up

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
cathou said:
Wereduck said:
i wonder if the scene where he kill his 6 months old baby brother when he's himself 5 years old might fall into the too disturbing category... Patrick is reaaaaly fucked up
That's a good candidate too - possibly better than mine. Fratri-infanticide didn't personally freak out teenage-me that bad but I can easily see it running afoul of the MPAA or the studio's legal department.