One sided and generic arguments that piss you off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FFP2 said:
-Anything from a "typical" feminist. Either have FULL equality or shut the hell up. Don't cry out "sexist!" only when it suits you.
I too am greatly bothered by the strawfeminist.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Apointicus said:
people think they're wizards
I'm pretty sure if you're a TES fan you are probably a wizard... On at least 1 playthrough ;)
I hate it when people assume that because a game got a bad review, its a bad game. I'll be honest, I used to be like this. If Zero Punctuation said something was bad in a game, I took it to mean that it was a bad game... Until I got realising that actually I am an individual human and I can have individual opinions that don't have to be shared with others and that a review is basically someones opinion. Now I am proud to say that I like the original Black Ops and the Monster Hunter series. Same goes with ME3. People don't like the ending which is a legitimate complaint, but to not buy the game because you heard a complaint about 1 aspect... wut?

EDIT:
FFP2 said:
-Anything from a "typical" feminist. Either have FULL equality or shut the hell up. Don't cry out "sexist!" only when it suits you.
I study English Language, one of the sections is called 'Language and Gender'... I hear you dude :'(

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
scorptatious said:
Oh hey, someone in America has done something questionable or stupid. AMERICA IS STUPID LOL!!

No, we are all not like that. I especially hate it when someone says something along the lines of "Stay classy America" in an sarcastic way. To me, it just comes off as incredibly snobbish and annoying.
Agree on the first point. Anyone who tries to use another person's home as some sort of justification as to why they're "wrong" loses all merit, especially when you consider the fact that stereotypes hardly ever pertain to most people put in such a profile.
You say "we are not all like that". I'd go even further and say VERY FEW of us are like that when you take a look at how large our population really is.

However, I myself have made some "nice job America" statements of my own in the past. I don't ever really think of myself referring to the American population as a whole so much as those members of our country who make the rest of us look bad. Almost like a "C'mon, guys. We're better than that."

Anyway, I also hate any argument where someone's opinion is somehow less credible because they weren't around to experience a certain moment in entertainment media. "You wouldn't understand because you're too young. Did you even own an N64? Didn't think so, newfag. You just lost all credibility."

Bullshit.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
It always seems to annoy me when people say "If you don't like it then don't watch it" when people are talking about things they hate.
I mean how can they have an opinion on it if they haven't seen it? I'm sure if they didn't like it then they will halt any further viewings but that still means that they have an opinion on it and they should be able to express it!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Sure, why not. I'll play. There's a few I particularly hate.

THE ARGUMENT: IT HAPPENS TO MEN ALL THE TIME
WHERE WE SEE IT: In every feminism/gender wars thread.
HOW IT'S USED: As a rebuttal intended to debunk a claim that something bad happens to women. Woman is raped? Men get raped too you know! Woman faces prejudice? Men face prejudice too you know!
WHY I HATE IT: It's completely irrelevant, and presumes that men and women are competing teams attempting to stockpile outrages for the purposes of winning the sympathy sweepstakes. If bad things happen to group A, bad things also happening to group B doesn't make what happened to group A any less bad, or their complaints any less valid.
Yes, this is so frustrating.

Especially since men face their share of sexism. A guy liking romance? Gay. A man wanting to become a kindergarten teacher? A pedophile. And of course moms are tthe ones who should get the kids if there's a divorce...

But do these guys complain about this stuff when they aren't trying to shoot down complaints from feminists?
The truth is, getting rid of sexism benefits everyone, and often the issues feminists raise affect men as well.

As for arguments that annoy me, pretty much the kind of "But this is what happens in real life!" when you complain about the lack of female characters or other races than white in something like fantasy.

And I'm sick and tired of hearing "But rape happens to women in real life!"

Yes, yes it does, but if you put rape in you better handle it well. Some of my favourite books have rape scenes or dub-con in them ('Man whose teeth were all exactly alike', is one of my favourite books, and it has a very creepy rape scene, where you might actually symphatise with the rapist.), but it's too common to put rape in to get sex and nudity in. They are often filmed in such a way that sexualises the act, focusing on the woman and the skin she shows.

Bashfluff said:
2. My right to not be offended is greater than the right for you to say things I don't like/find offensive.

Self explanatory. If you don't want to hear what I have to say on the internet, there are plenty of other places where I'm not talking.
Because the Internet belongs to you. All of it.
That might work for you on your own blog or on sites where you decide the rules, but on a forums like this, there are rules you have to follow, or face the banhammer.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
Well I'm probably gonna open a can of worms with this but.

Anyone who tries to use this as the basis of their argument is missing the point.

As for a more gaming related example. I hate it when people try to suggest that the lack of women in gaming means that the industry is sexist. Most companies would be more than happy to hire female devs. Thing is though that just not that many women study game development.
Well, I find the following argument extremely irritating, and super ineffective.

"You're missing the point!" Alternative: "Thanks for not understanding!" Alternative alternative: "You don't understand!"
These are usually followed by nothing, zero, zilch, empty space.

We saw a lot of this from the Retake Mass Effect crowd. "Someone made a video, or wrote an article, disagreeing with the Retake Mass Effect movement? Copy paste this reply: 'You don't understand! Holding the Line!!!'. That'll show them to have an opinion different from yours."
...Yeah, you sure showed them. Considering that those who did defend the bad ending claims actually made effective arguments, just regurgitating such a knee-jerk reply was rather pathetic.

It is really sad to claim people are "missing the point," or "not understanding," of your argument then fail to state what the point is. Makes me wonder if you even have a point in first place. Can't "miss" or "misunderstand" a non-existent point.

Another two "arguments", that's been mentioned before, that I'll add to are:

"You don't like the game because you're not good at it!"

Well, no $#!+ Sherlock! News flash: Not liking an activity/game/sport because you're no good at it is a perfectly valid reason. If I'm playing a game where I'm getting, as Yahtzee put it, "pounded into the dirt" constantly, then I get bored.

Losing isn't bad, but having no chance is awful.

" has been dumbed down because they removed the X stats or skills, or replaced X stat or skill with Y stat or skill."

Most of the time the stats, or skills, that were removed were a waste or just add mindless busy work to the game. Hence why they were removed. It was meaningless complexity that actually made the game shallow, not deep.

Complexity does NOT equal Depth.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
-Piracy is OK because the game company is EEEEEVIL!!!! (DRM, makes a shit ton of money, labor law issues, etc.)
This one I might find myself agreeing in some cases. If were talking about a game that's purely for propaganda, or made by very despicable people, and I'd need to play it to know what it's about, I wouldn't want to give money to them. Thus pirating or renting/buying used.

Not that this is much of an issue, because games like that are usually very small budget, and free. The only one I can think of is the Left Behind-game. I'm a bit curious, but not enough to play it.

ShinyCharizard said:
As for a more gaming related example. I hate it when people try to suggest that the lack of women in gaming means that the industry is sexist. Most companies would be more than happy to hire female devs. Thing is though that just not that many women study game development.
Well, obviously the question we should be asking is; why are there less women studying on this field?

However, when some field is dominated by one sex, they can end up being uncomfortable for the others. My mom's husband works in a programming-company, and it's kinda a boys' club.
It's not that they're actively shunning the women, but when the guys take skiing-trips together where they compete who is the toughest man and talk work-stuff in a sauna, a woman in a company might feel unwelcome. But it's not like he'd even notice it. He wanted me to get on a programming-field (I ended up studying other math-related stuff), and I don't think he noticed the stuff he and his work-friends said in company that might make a woman (or someone gay) uncomfortable.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I probably shouldn't bring this one up due to recent tension on the subject but:

Your opinion is the wrong opinion

It was namely in one of the 'gay' threads popping up, and it's always been one of those STUPID arguments for me. It's like saying 'Your argument doesn't matter because I don't believe you lalalalala'. It seems like a 12 year old with no rebuttal came up with this, argh!

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Pretty much anything that is a fact, but people treat it as if they can have an opinion on it. Like when people say "being gay is wrong", that's not you voicing your opinion; that's just you being wrong.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
JemothSkarii said:
I probably shouldn't bring this one up due to recent tension on the subject but:

Your opinion is the wrong opinion

It was namely in one of the 'gay' threads popping up, and it's always been one of those STUPID arguments for me. It's like saying 'Your argument doesn't matter because I don't believe you lalalalala'. It seems like a 12 year old with no rebuttal came up with this, argh!
I use this one now and then, but it's always couched in so much snark that you'd have to be looking for things to get pissed off about to take it seriously.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
To be fair, that has more to do with possessing pattern recognition.
Hmm. When you put it that way, it makes sense. I'd imagine most people who believe all Americans are stupid have only heard about Americans that made their way to the news by doing something stupid. Or by how our leaders behave, but that's a whole other can of worms.

It's actually something that I was just reading in my Psychology textbook for school. It was something along the lines of people perceiving things differently from one another because of their mental framework that was molded by their experiences and how they were raised. So I guess it isn't too hard to imagine that the people who say those kinds of things have either little to no experience with the regular people who just go about their lives in the country they are referring too.

Still bugs me when someone does that though. :/
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Agree on the first point. Anyone who tries to use another person's home as some sort of justification as to why they're "wrong" loses all merit, especially when you consider the fact that stereotypes hardly ever pertain to most people put in such a profile.
You say "we are not all like that". I'd go even further and say VERY FEW of us are like that when you take a look at how large our population really is.

However, I myself have made some "nice job America" statements of my own in the past. I don't ever really think of myself referring to the American population as a whole so much as those members of our country who make the rest of us look bad. Almost like a "C'mon, guys. We're better than that."

Anyway, I also hate any argument where someone's opinion is somehow less credible because they weren't around to experience a certain moment in entertainment media. "You wouldn't understand because you're too young. Did you even own an N64? Didn't think so, newfag. You just lost all credibility."

Bullshit.
I guess it isn't too bad if someone was just joking around. But I can never really tell the difference as you can't really detect something like that in plain text without a disclaimer. *shrugs*

Also, the argument referring to how young someone is reminds me of this video:

Goddamit, I love Ukinojoe. :)

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
MasochisticAvenger said:
Pretty much anything that is a fact, but people treat it as if they can have an opinion on it. Like when people say "being gay is wrong", that's not you voicing your opinion; that's just you being wrong.
I have a problem with this line of thinking; while there might be quite a bit of evidence leaning towards a latter, nothing in this societal sense is a fact. While I agree that homosexuality is fine, people are still subject to an opinion on the matter. It's like saying (for an example) that religion is wrong due to a large amount of scientific evidence. Sure, evidence might lean to such a belief, but their opinion should still be noted.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Not really an argument, but any time someone uses the phrases goes something along the lines of (talking about something they don't like): "I've decided that it doesn't exist". All they are doing here is actually saying that they don't like something, so why don't they just say that? I don't know for sure, but it almost seems like they cannot possibly cope with the idea that they share reality with something they don't like that much, so instead they create their own little version of reality where said thing seemingly does not exist. Of course, this would also seem to halt y further discussion on the matter as it leaves no room for you to say why you actually happen to like said thing. After all, anyone that acknowledges the existence of something they have themselves denied the existence of must be crazy, right?

Captcha: smell that

Now that's just being rude.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
JemothSkarii said:
MasochisticAvenger said:
I have a problem with this line of thinking; while there might be quite a bit of evidence leaning towards a latter, nothing in this societal sense is a fact. While I agree that homosexuality is fine, people are still subject to an opinion on the matter. It's like saying (for an example) that religion is wrong due to a large amount of scientific evidence. Sure, evidence might lean to such a belief, but their opinion should still be noted.
Science is ever changing: what we believe one week might not necessarily be what we believe the next. As far as I'm aware: nothing in science has outright proven religion to be wrong, and it is possible to believe in both. Also believing in one or the other doesn't really hurt anyone. If someone believed in God, and another person believed in Science, both those people could hold those beliefs without affecting the other.

On the other hand, people who believe being gay is wrong are directly hurting other people. I'm just going to put it out there: there has never being a good argument for why being gay should be considered wrong. It is just a bunch of people blinded by fear because "oh my god... they're different.... help!", and anyone who believes being gay is wrong deserves to never find love.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
scorptatious said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
To be fair, that has more to do with possessing pattern recognition.
Hmm. When you put it that way, it makes sense. I'd imagine most people who believe all Americans are stupid have only heard about Americans that made their way to the news by doing something stupid. Or by how our leaders behave, but that's a whole other can of worms.

It's actually something that I was just reading in my Psychology textbook for school. It was something along the lines of people perceiving things differently from one another because of their mental framework that was molded by their experiences and how they were raised. So I guess it isn't too hard to imagine that the people who say those kinds of things have either little to no experience with the regular people who just go about their lives in the country they are referring too.

Still bugs me when someone does that though. :/
SanAndreasSmoke said:

Bullshit.
I guess it isn't too bad if someone was just joking around. But I can never really tell the difference as you can't really detect something like that in plain text without a disclaimer. *shrugs*

Also, the argument referring to how young someone is reminds me of this video:

Goddamit, I love Ukinojoe. :)
Haha thanks for sharing the vid. I also love Ukinojoe but it's been a while since I've checked out his channel.
In hindsight I probably should've used an example other than the the N64 since it was actually during my time but I suppose the point is still the same.

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
"why do gays need their own X?"
"I'm not racist/homophobic, I love Dave Chappelle/Pitbull/Neil Patrick Harris, but why do (insert minority) do (insert any behavior)?"

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
rhizhim said:
so you are in favor of the drowning threads?
As I am not a forum moderator, what threads I do or do not favor of are no relevance to anyone other than me. If a thread does not interest me, I simply decline to click on it.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Grunt_Man11 said:
It is really sad to claim people are "missing the point," or "not understanding," of your argument then fail to state what the point is. Makes me wonder if you even have a point in first place. Can't "miss" or "misunderstand" a non-existent point.
There is no need to state my point. It will be obvious to those that agree with me and I'd rather not have this thread derail into a gun control thread