one thing the previous generation did right that the current gen doesn't

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
So I found out today one thing that the Playstation 3 does that is far far superior to the Playstation 4.
I don't need to have a net connection to play my downloaded games.
Whereas when I use the PS4, I need a net connection to do ANYTHING other than watch Blurays/DVDs or play game discs. Hell, I can't even access the FREE Media player app without being on the net or any demos I have downloaded.
Anything else you guys can think of? Doesn't have to be limited to Sony consoles.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Add another one for the downsides of online connectivity, my personal flavor being games that are always meant to be online and therefore deny you an option to pause whether you're online or not.

There's a Two Best Friends video I looked for, couldn't find it, but Mat and Pat are at E3 and they're looking at a case of old retro consoles, old Nintendos and Ataris and such and this exchange happens:

Pat: "You know what I love about these old shitty consoles?"
Matt: "What?"
Pat: "IS THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO THE FUKCIN' INTERNEEEEEET!"

Those were the days (that I'm too young to remember).

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
RikuoAmero said:
So I found out today one thing that the Playstation 3 does that is far far superior to the Playstation 4.
Whereas when I use the PS4, I need a net connection to do ANYTHING other than watch Blurays/DVDs or play game discs. Hell, I can't even access the FREE Media player app without being on the net or any demos I have downloaded.
Anything else you guys can think of? Doesn't have to be limited to Sony consoles.
Actually, you only need a connection to play free PSN+ games, anything you bought should be accessable all the time, unless they removed that over the past two months. That you can't access your trophies without being online is crap though.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
I may be a generation out of date here, but 4 player split screen in most shooters / racers. Because playing against some random numpty online isn't the same as playing against people in the same room.

And going from the 360 to PS4, the massive advantage of the 360 was not having to install games before you can play them. I mean seriously, that's what convinced me consoles were a good idea to start with...

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Adam Locking said:
RikuoAmero said:
Actually, you only need a connection to play free PSN+ games, anything you bought should be accessable all the time, unless they removed that over the past two months. That you can't access your trophies without being online is crap though.
I can't do anything on the 4 (apart from anything disc-based) without a net connection. In fact, while I type this, I'm going to double check...let's see, Neverwinter (free to play MMORPG), can't play. Rogue Legacy, free PSN+ game, can't play. Resident Evil 7 Teaser, can't. Another World, bought game, can't. Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry, bought, can't. Divinity Original Sin, bought, can't. Shadow of Mordor, bought, can't.
Whereas on the 3, I'm able to play through any of my games no problem. I'm finally going through Kingdoms of Amalur.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Ezekiel said:
RikuoAmero said:
Free multiplayer. There's no reason I should have to pay to access all the content in the game I already paid for. The devs maintained their servers in the last generation, not Sony. And if it can be done for free on PC, there's no reason it can't on consoles.
Its worth noting a lot of the more traditional PC games don't take on the cost of online play. They push it forward to users by allowing free or licensed use of dedicated servers.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
I also have to agree free multiplayer. Online shouldn't be something you have to pay for, especially if we couple that with the fact that apparently these new systems require an internet connection. I have a PS4 but I refuse to get a PS+ account for every reason that Ezekiel pointed out in the first reply to the thread. There simply is no reason for them to require paid multiplayer other than people have proven they will pay for it. Now, if I want a game I intend to play online, I just buy it on PC instead. This has kept my PS4 library very small and there aren't any console exclusive games with extraordinary multiplayer. Sony's exclusives are generally single player games and Microsoft basically announced all of its games will be dual released for PC and they no longer support console exclusive games.

It would be nice if consumers banded together and stop paying for online services. That stuff with the Xbox One is just creeping in a little at a time now instead of all at once as consumer's accept this little thing and that little thing independently. Until we end up with the whole package shoved down our throats again. If there was ever a time to boycott, now would probably be it. This generation has been expensive and underwhelming. Already, there is talks that we should buy new consoles again!

My PS3 is still commanding the spotlight years into this gens launch as the tell me I need to upgrade my hardware and pay to play online. I am just sitting here on my PS3 with a library of ~40 games playing online for free like:

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Games.

I have tones of games for my PS2 & PS3, but I only have Disgaea 5, Blood Born & Dark Souls 3 for the PS4 and I can't think of anything coming out for PS4 that I want that wont be better on PC other than Persona 5 (If anyone wants to prove me wrong on this last part, please do).

Its not like the PS4 has only just come out so there should be a load of games that I'd be interested in by now.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
Adam Locking said:
RikuoAmero said:
I can't do anything on the 4 (apart from anything disc-based) without a net connection. In fact, while I type this, I'm going to double check...let's see, Neverwinter (free to play MMORPG), can't play. Rogue Legacy, free PSN+ game, can't play. Resident Evil 7 Teaser, can't. Another World, bought game, can't. Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry, bought, can't. Divinity Original Sin, bought, can't. Shadow of Mordor, bought, can't.
Whereas on the 3, I'm able to play through any of my games no problem. I'm finally going through Kingdoms of Amalur.
is your PS4 set as your primary system? if it is then you should be able to play downloaded games offline, that might the the issue here

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
Really?
Because I just returned form a trip to the cabin, and my downloaded games played with no issues on my PS4.

OT:
I can't really think of anything.
So far the PS4 has been superior to the PS3 i every possible way.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Previuos generation consoles tried to be something different than just slow locked down pcs.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
RikuoAmero said:
As stated above, activate your PS4 as your Primary System and game licenses for downloaded games are stored on the PS4 itself, with no need for online verification.

Strazdas said:
Previuos generation consoles tried to be something different than just slow locked down pcs.
Previous generations tried to be something different? Alright, give us some examples then.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Bobular said:
Games.

I have tones of games for my PS2 & PS3, but I only have Disgaea 5, Blood Born & Dark Souls 3 for the PS4 and I can't think of anything coming out for PS4 that I want that wont be better on PC other than Persona 5 (If anyone wants to prove me wrong on this last part, please do).

Its not like the PS4 has only just come out so there should be a load of games that I'd be interested in by now.
As someone that had a PS2 and a GBA, the cascading avalanche of shovelware of their eras is not something I mourn. Gaming does something that makes hipsters right as much as it shames us to think. Whatever is most popular has the most crap, and because of all the crap it makes something mediocre look good.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
American Fox said:
The previous generation isn't dying fast enough.
The previous generations never died at all. The retro community is what it is.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
up until the PS2 whenever you bought a game you expected it to be 100% complete not requiring any updates or DLC... now a days everyhame is expected to have updates and DLC to make it work properly

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ezekiel said:
RikuoAmero said:
Free multiplayer. There's no reason I should have to pay to access all the content in the game I already paid for. The devs maintained their servers in the last generation, not Sony. And if it can be done for free on PC, there's no reason it can't on consoles.
Actually there is a very good reason for having paid multiplayer on consoles. Its a closed space and the console makers discovered that people will pay for it. Microsoft tried to do paid multiplayer on pc, using games for windows live. But it would never work on pc since there are so many free options and gfwl was crap, it only started getting used when it gave up the paid multi aspect, it was still crap but it was occasionally used crap.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I miss games being released non-broken.
Sure, there were some games that had issues, but now it feels like (ever since the PS3/Xbox360) anyone who buys the game new is being used as a fucking tester.

I also miss that sweet spot of the PS2-Era.
A time where games could look pretty good, but were cheap enough to make as to invite innovation.