One year of Nintendo Switch

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Zelda has always been considered an Action-Adventure type Genre.

Nintendo's RPG franchise franchise would be Xenoblade Chronicles
I'm not denying either of those, only the claim that Zelda has never been an rpg, which it has been with Zelda II, complete with experience points and leveling. A very basic rpg, but it counts.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Zelda has always been considered an Action-Adventure type Genre.

I'm not denying either of those, only the claim that Zelda has never been an rpg, which it has been with Zelda II, complete with experience points and leveling. A very basic rpg, but it counts.
i wasn't disagreeing with you. there is always the exception.

Zelda's just never been known for being an RPG series is a better wording. for the most part it's always had very light RPG elements but the series is primarily action-adventure

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Chimpzy said:
American Tanker said:
What games out there for the Nintendo Switch are similar to F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron or GoldenEye? If there are none, then just say so.
To be fair, no one is really offering games like that anymore.

Except F-Zero maybe, which has the aforementioned Fast RMX and there's a number of other games with similar high-speed, arcade-like sensibilities like Redout, Formula Fusion, BallisticNG, GRIP, Radial-G and Distance. Unfortunately, only Redout is on Switch, the rest is pretty much all PC only and most also lean more towards WipeOut than F-Zero.

I suppose Steep could stand in for 1080? It was announced for Switch, but there's been no news about a release date. There's versions for PS4, Xbox 1 and PC tho, should you be interested and own one of those systems.

The others tho, yeah, pickings are very slim. Can't think of anything released in the last few years similar to Rogue Leader (unless space combat sims like Elite: Dangerous count) or Goldeneye.

I should note Wave Race series producer Shinya Takahashi has very recently teased a possible return of the franchise [http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/18/wave-race-producer-teases-series-possible-return-on-nintendo-switch]. It's by no means a confirmation of a new game on Switch tho. Could just mean the Gamecube one could get a Virtual Console release, whenever that may come.
Thanks. Guess I really am left in the cold here.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
And Earthbound, and Golden Sun, and StarTropics...

Let us never forget our departed breathren, even if Nintendo has. :(

Siyano_v1legacy

Jul 27, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Zelda was never an RPG in the first place. why were you expecting one when you played BOTW?
Except Zelda II tho. A pretty basic action rpg, but a rpg nonetheless. The others not so much.

Although the first Zelda ('96) notably took some inspiration from early action rpgs like Dragon Slayer and Hydlide (both '84). Doesn't really make Zelda an rpg per se, depending on how broadly you define the genre, but there is certainly some DNA in there.
I never expected Zelda to be an RPG, but a lot of its design feel like an RPG without the RPG part, like getting new weapon, armor and such, but all this is "pointless" since there no level or anything to really look forward. Killing monster for just killing them and at some point "farming" them, its suck.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:
And Earthbound, and Golden Sun, and StarTropics...

Let us never forget our departed breathren, even if Nintendo has. :(
RIP :'(

actually now that i think about it, Pokemon would be Nintendo's Major RPG franchise atm even more so then Xenoblade. the main Pokemon games are RPGs after all.