Onimusha: Warlords Trailer - Switch/PS4/Xbone/PC

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
FUCKING! FINALLY!!

Doesn't look like it got the same treatment as REmake and RE0, but just the fact that it's no longer stuck on to just the PS2 is a godsend. Whether we get Onimusha 2 is probably based on the succes of this "remaster" (Onimusha 3 can go die in a fire).

Yoshi178 said:
anyone played this game before? any good?
It's classic Resident Evil meets Ninja Scroll, so if you like either of those you're probably gonna like this. The voice acting is brutally cringeworthy though. It's also ridiculously short, but it's still a fun meaty hack 'n slasher.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Oh, its an updated version of the first. I always wanted to play Onimusha, mostly cause I just love that era of Japan and always love seeing all the interpretations of it. (Samurai Warriors, Nioh, Nobunaga's Ambition, Sengoku Basara etc)

I will probably get this.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Closest comparison gameplay wise is god of war, the gameplay is not particularly deep but there fun game.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Meiam said:
Closest comparison gameplay wise is god of war, the gameplay is not particularly deep but there fun game.
And Devil May Cry.

Apparently, a glitch in Onimusha, which allowed you to juggle enemies, is what gave rise to juggling in DMC.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Never played these games personally but I watched friends play them.

There was also that one episode of Unskippable which was hilarious.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ugh, that was the game I bought with my launch PS2 simply b/c there wasn't anything else. Wasn't really that great even then. Static cameras and tank controls were only ever feasible for slow and cumbersome Resident Evil type games and even those early titles aged poorly. I remember a few months later Devil May Cry was released which was a way better game. Not that this (first) game broke free from the mold but atleast it felt way more dynamic.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Yoshi178 said:

I own it phyisically and play it on my still working PS2.

The game is pretty much Resident Evil with Swords in a Japan setting, its basically feels like if Devil May Cry played more like old school RE game, Combat is not as deep as Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, or even God of War.

What made the first Onimusha games special for Capcom was its budget, it was the most expensive game Capcom made at the time, and the first game to truly test the power of the PS2 since it was more or less a launch title. Allow this video to explain:

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
FUCKING! FINALLY!!
(Onimusha 3 can go die in a fire).
Awww, you didn't enjoy playing as Samurai Jean Reno?

The Onimusha games were, I think, the only games where I ever practiced the parry/counter mechanic. I remember it being a very cathartic way to fight.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Casual Shinji said:
FUCKING! FINALLY!!
No I certainly didn't.

We finally saw the return of Samunosuke, and he had to share the spotlight with Jean Reno. I felt Onimusha 2 was already throwing a bit too much silliness in, and 3 just compounded on that with time travel to modern day and and annoying fairy sidekicks. Also, static in-game rendered backgrounds inplace of prerendered ones.. blegh.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I never beat any of them I don't think, but I really enjoyed the first two when they were first out. Don't think I ever got to the third though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:

Best way to describe it is it's between Resident Evil and Devil May Cry on the action scale. Tank controls are pretty clunky with the boss fights, but fighting demonic forces against the backdrop of the Sengoku Jidai is a novel idea. Hopefully the second and third titles follow soon

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
-Dragmire- said:
Casual Shinji said:
FUCKING! FINALLY!!
No I certainly didn't.

We finally saw the return of Samunosuke, and he had to share the spotlight with Jean Reno. I felt Onimusha 2 was already throwing a bit too much silliness in, and 3 just compounded on that with time travel to modern day and and annoying fairy sidekicks. Also, static in-game rendered backgrounds inplace of prerendered ones.. blegh.
Still the best game though. The weapons and combat were the most fun in the series for me. Upgrading your weapons and not only seeing them get stronger but also look cooler was great.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I remember really liking the original game.

I never got to play the third game, it just didn't look that great. I got to the final boss in the second one on a rental and never beat it. Suddenly making the game into a completely different genre with a new control scheme at the last minute kinda pissed me off. I wouldn't mind it in a Goemon game, but it just didn't work for me in Onimusha 2.

It was just a weird design choice. The closest thing I can think of is in Gungeon when you fight the rat.

I wonder if we will ever get a Nanobreaker remake/sequel/whatever.