Online Gaming Study Suggests Internet Sucks Globally

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
flangleelgnalf said:
wait the average is 616kb/s?!?
jeez mine is 70-150kb/s
i hate living in the country...
It's a capital B for byte and not b for bit, you got this mixed up.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Well, colour me pretty pleased then. Living in the suburbs of the second city does have some benefits I suppose... never been more than a mile and a half from an exchange (and currently within a half mile), well served for fibre, means I / my family have been running at a solid 500kbit or more for the better part of a decade, and our typical download speeds (when not constrained by congestion further up the pipe, i.e. on the sending side or otherwise external to our ISP) have TROUGHED at about 2.0 to 2.5 mbit, generally sailing around the 5.0~9.8 level on Virgin's "basic" broadband, which has reached "upto 10mbit" for existing customers, now.

And my new, extra cheap ADSL (Plusnet) manages to clock a healthy 12-13 mbit or so, certainly offpeak and often in peak hours. I haven't noticed a slowdown in any form. Maybe it's dipping to a mere 1-2mbit at times but putting a top-priority QoS on the speed test sites, who knows. I haven't been twiddling my thumbs waiting for webpages to load. Some downloads have dragged a little, but given that the last one I thought "aw... come ON" about was Portal on the final day of it being free-to-download, I think we can assume that was server-side congestion. Even so, it still completed that 4Gb lump in approximately an hour and a half (I didn't pay THAT much attention, but it was certainly doing around 1% per minute at one point), which is a decent fraction of single-speed DVDR, aka somewhere in the high single digit Mbits.

(Oh god, I hope I remembered to do that after midnight... or my monthly daytime transfer allowance is going to have turned into a pumpkin, and that "free" game will have cost me £5 in bandwidth... That's the one caveat with this ISP - bulk downloads are best scheduled for 0000hrs thru 0800; Virgin's was that it would cap your speed progressively the more you DL'd in any one day, from 8am to 8am; do a HUGE amount of downloading, and you'd find streaming HDTV required you to pre-buffer about 10 minutes of each hour...)

It's quite pleasing to know that the "standard" these days is only a small amount higher than what we were (personally) getting 10 years ago... which at the time was a massive, earth-shaking improvement from dialup... and my current standard is not only 24x that old connection (kicking several shades of crap out of Moore's Law in the process), but 20x the national average. Heck, even a typical Sotuh Korean wouldn't find much to fault.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
[http://www.speedtest.net]
13.63USD per month and no no download cap, i guess im doing ok, at least in my own country.

ND

May 24, 2008

The test here suggest this is close to average for Australia, yet the article hints otherwise. Go figure.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
elcher said:
Quiotu said:
What the hell happened in Eastern Europe to give them such awesome internet speeds??

Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia... all hovering between Japan and South Korea for fastest speeds. Someone explain that to me.
No idea bro, i originally stem from Rumania which is a backward-ass shitty country that is poor as all hell.

EVERYONE is CONSTANTLY downloading something or other through an "illegal" national torrent network though - dunno how that works but it does LOL.
In Romania it's legal to download games/music/movies as long as you use them for personal use only and not commercial (i.e.: sell DVDs).

So yeah, sometimes it pays off to live in a shitty country. Sometimes.

Nukem

Feb 17, 2011
its becaus there are like 2 ppl in the country with internet so they take the avarage speed up :D

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Yeah I know my internet is garbage but I also don't have the credit right now to afford better internet. Stupid 18-22 year old phase destroying my own credit.

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
I am definitely suprised my country's(Holland) DL speed is 934 KBps.

Either I have the only PC that's taking 3 hours to download a clip of a cat jumping into a box, or my internet provider hates me.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Live in norway, got fiber optics, but the cheapest option from the provider i think, or next to. don't really see the reason to get the best one. downloading a movie usually takes 20 mins so i don't really need better internet.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Our Internet at home is utter cack. We're with Orange, though, which pretty much explains it. We had decent speeds with BT but then they screwed us over and we left. My boyfriend has ridiculously fast Internet at his University, ridiculously fast.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
So who's providing that kickass service in Andover, Massachusetts? And what's the cost of living over there?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Kagobin said:
I didnt use any measurement provided in the article.

And I don't have a cap, either. I have never hit one, in my many weeks of downloading 10GB+ files, or streaming video, or playing games.

Also, according to Pingtest.net, I have an 88 percent packet loss. I pinged my router from my PC, and it came up 0. I got my ISP to ping my modem, also 0. I think Pingtest just hates me.

Yeah, I'm not on board for the whole "always on" online games as my internet frequently drops as well.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I used to get about 1MBps at the college. Now I'm getting roughly 456KBps. Man do I ever miss those speeds.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Lag free online is the reason why South Korea dominates at Starcraft.
Having 300 APM is pointless when yo internet kicks you in the nuts.

Also, I want more upload speed.
I may have decent download speed (about double the Australian average by the looks of it), but a .48 upload is not fast enough to even host a minecraft server ... for ONE client.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Rogers has a comparatively lower speed, throttling, rubish internet caps, AND is expensive as hell? WHY CAN'T WE GET RID OF THEM!

Considering I like StarCraft, maybe I should just move to South Korea...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1497323519.png

ps: how do you embed the picture?

II Scarecrow II

Feb 23, 2011
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1497336829.png

Hmm, that's my uni internet which is pretty sweet, but it also a helluva lot faster than
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Kagobin said:
I didnt use any measurement provided in the article.

And I don't have a cap, either. I have never hit one, in my many weeks of downloading 10GB+ files, or streaming video, or playing games.

Also, according to Pingtest.net, I have an 88 percent packet loss. I pinged my router from my PC, and it came up 0. I got my ISP to ping my modem, also 0. I think Pingtest just hates me.
Those are megabits, not megabytes. Lowercase b, not capital. And if you have Comcast, you have a cap. It's not a hard cap, and they don't really go out of their way to inform you of it, or really to enforce it. You can go over it by a pretty decent amount just fine, but if you go high enough consistently enough, especially if you're in the top however many percent of their users, they will get kind of cranky and tell you to quit it and eventually throttle you if you don't. I don't think they actually cut people off anymore, though.

Hmm, that's my uni internet which is pretty sweet, but it also a helluva lot faster than my home internet. God, I wish Australia could get 18Mb/s it would make gaming a helluva lot better for us.