Mar 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
viranimus said:
Yep. The precedent set is now an industry standard. Thank you everyone who said "I dont see why this is such a big deal"

This is also a reason why I typically wont preorder anything. Little bits like this like to come out right before launch. Had I not gotten my copy free with my video card and already had it applied via steam regrettably I would have to pass on this game for this.
wow seriously...? overreaction much?
this is not even day one dlc unless I'm reading it wrong... buy the game nothing is wrong. borrow someones game/buy someone else's old copy pay a lil bit to the developer to still get access to it. (the fact they like to charge you high prices for it is a different matter)
but to let such a fact switch a game from per-ordering/ buying to... forget it.. is just a bit silly

*prepares to get flamed*
Why do people do this?

"Your reason isn't good enough to not/cancel your pre-order".

How about this, the post you quoted was 100% correct and your post was wrong in the first sent...er first few words.

Well, let's look at this. Buy it new and you have to type in a code. Buy it used and you have to type in a code but it's $10 less. Which option makes more sense?

if you want to buy a game why buy it used in the first place
and (the fact they like to charge you high prices for it is a different matter) the price is wrong but imo the PRINCIPLE is right
correct me if i'm wrong but if you buy used little to money get's sent to the developer right?
I don't want to support developers who try to punish people for buying used. Buying used saves me $20 without the online pass and saves me $10 with it. Why would I want to fund more nonsense like this in the next game?

Before all this online pass nonsense I would always buy new if the difference was only $10, I was neutral and preferred the new product if the difference was small but I am tired of being treated like a criminal by game companies. I don't even need to deprive myself of the games I want to play. I can buy new releases on Day 2 for $10 cheaper and feel good knowing that I didn't fund more anti-consumer DRM and such.
yeah this argument is going no-where
on Day 2 for $10 cheaper and feel good knowing that I didn't fund more anti-consumer DRM and such. which feeds to viscious cycle of these sort of schemes
but eh there's no discussion anymore
What feeds the vicious cycle is giving money to the publishers who do things like this. Do you see indie devs doing things like this? They can't afford it in more than one way.
though indie devs don't have to worry about used game sales because i haven't seen any used copies of indie games

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
ravensshade said:
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
Crono1973 said:
ravensshade said:
viranimus said:
Yep. The precedent set is now an industry standard. Thank you everyone who said "I dont see why this is such a big deal"

This is also a reason why I typically wont preorder anything. Little bits like this like to come out right before launch. Had I not gotten my copy free with my video card and already had it applied via steam regrettably I would have to pass on this game for this.
wow seriously...? overreaction much?
this is not even day one dlc unless I'm reading it wrong... buy the game nothing is wrong. borrow someones game/buy someone else's old copy pay a lil bit to the developer to still get access to it. (the fact they like to charge you high prices for it is a different matter)
but to let such a fact switch a game from per-ordering/ buying to... forget it.. is just a bit silly

*prepares to get flamed*
Why do people do this?

"Your reason isn't good enough to not/cancel your pre-order".

How about this, the post you quoted was 100% correct and your post was wrong in the first sent...er first few words.

Well, let's look at this. Buy it new and you have to type in a code. Buy it used and you have to type in a code but it's $10 less. Which option makes more sense?

if you want to buy a game why buy it used in the first place
and (the fact they like to charge you high prices for it is a different matter) the price is wrong but imo the PRINCIPLE is right
correct me if i'm wrong but if you buy used little to money get's sent to the developer right?
I don't want to support developers who try to punish people for buying used. Buying used saves me $20 without the online pass and saves me $10 with it. Why would I want to fund more nonsense like this in the next game?

Before all this online pass nonsense I would always buy new if the difference was only $10, I was neutral and preferred the new product if the difference was small but I am tired of being treated like a criminal by game companies. I don't even need to deprive myself of the games I want to play. I can buy new releases on Day 2 for $10 cheaper and feel good knowing that I didn't fund more anti-consumer DRM and such.
yeah this argument is going no-where
on Day 2 for $10 cheaper and feel good knowing that I didn't fund more anti-consumer DRM and such. which feeds to viscious cycle of these sort of schemes
but eh there's no discussion anymore
What feeds the vicious cycle is giving money to the publishers who do things like this. Do you see indie devs doing things like this? They can't afford it in more than one way.
though indie devs don't have to worry about used game sales because i haven't seen any used copies of indie games
True enough but you also don't see them using draconian DRM. They can't afford to piss their fans off.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
True enough but you also don't see them using draconian DRM. They can't afford to piss their fans off.
also true but that could partially be because they have no investors to please or millions to loose (though draconian DRM is always bad)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
reads: "Online Pass Required to Play as Arkham City's Catwoman"

thinks: "guess I won't be playing as Arkham City's Catwoman" lol

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Personally, I really don't care about being able to play as Catwoman.

I think that these attempts to discourage people from buying used games are a bit ridiculous. So many things are bought used. Why should video games be the exception?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
How fucking dumb can this shit be. I rented Arkham Asylum(I refuse to pay $90+ for games without multiplayer, no matter how amazing they maybe) and not only can I not play as catwoman without paying another 12 dollars(on top of the 10 it cost me to rent it), but the codes aren't even available on the PSN.

Rocksteady can go fuck themselves. Do publishers just purposely intend to entice people to pirate games?