OnLive Extends Free Service Offer

oranger

May 27, 2008
This tech could have been amazing, but instead its just another attempt to vacuum money out of my pocket.
Yes, business is called that because its an attempt to make money from me, but there are some lines that are crossed when the product is worth so much les than the price being charged.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Tried it.
Played a few demos.
Lag was horrible.
Game froze at times.
The games frames looked like a buffering youtube video.
I gave my feedback.

I quit.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Keava said:
Jbird said:
Anyone else think having "L-I-V-E" spelled out on the face buttons looks a bit silly?
And all this time i thought it's just fancy way of writing EVIL on the pad *roll eyes*
I'm sure "OnEvil" would have been confusing.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Just the thought of a company controlling my rights to my gaming turns me off. I purchase a lot from steam and it is a really great service you don't have to worry about your shit disappearing suddenly just cause you haven't installed or played them. Onlive is just a niche idea for a niche market that only the truly gullible will purchase to as the service is at this time.

If they charged a subscription model ala gametap or blockbuster where you "rent" the game for so long then I can see this being a way bigger impact. Greedy bastards go down hard, onlive won't be around for long unless they change their tactics.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
My internet service went down again today, for about 5 minutes or so.

My Xbox 360 continued to play the game my son was in the middle of, with no interruption. My PC was still functional, although I did have to restart a couple downloads.

Tying my game playing to a connection that is provably not 100% reliable will never win me over. And that's before you begin to factor in paying full price for a game you don't get to keep.

The Great Zegrool

Jul 29, 2009
HA, subscription fees for games I've paid for, not being able to mod those games(I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong) and I already have a PC that can handle any game you throw at it.

So yeah.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Gilgamesh00 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Jbird said:
Anyone else think having "L-I-V-E" spelled out on the face buttons looks a bit silly?
The whole D-Pad looks horrible!

Hell, if I have to use that controller the whole damn thing is a no-no. It looks horrendous.
You can use your PC.
Really? That's better, but I would still prefer a PS3 controller.

At least it's better than that awful looking thing.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Gilgamesh00 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Jbird said:

Hell, if I have to use that controller the whole damn thing is a no-no. It looks horrendous.
You can use your PC.

There are drivers out for the DS3/Sixaxis controllers to function on PC. There's even a rumble support driver. My brother says it's not really that hard.
I know that, I thought you meant that onlive supported keyboards... Never mind, it's really hot here. Don't listen to whatever I say, I'm having trouble wording things.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Mornelithe said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Gilgamesh00 said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Jbird said:

You can use your PC.

There are drivers out for the DS3/Sixaxis controllers to function on PC. There's even a rumble support driver. My brother says it's not really that hard.
I know that, I thought you meant that onlive supported keyboards... Never mind, it's really hot here. Don't listen to whatever I say, I'm having trouble wording things.
It's all good, was just throwing that in there in case you weren't aware =)
Oh, good. I was having trouble telling if you were calling me a dumbass, I'm horrible with getting tone from text.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i was actually offered this service a while ago, and i'd been curious about it for sure. but after not being able to redeem my coupon for the 1 free game they gave me, beacuse i'm using a wireless connection, i realized it's worthless to me. which sucks, because my wireless connection is definitely fast enough to handle the load. oh well, i'd rather own my games anyway.