OnLive Making Its Way Around the World

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
jebussaves88 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
So they want us foreigners to try it out now (basically removed the location locks)? Neat.

imnotparanoid said:
on live sounds like a crap idea though!
please dont ditch disks!
On the contrary. I think OnLive is fantastic. I did a lot of research into it for my degree and I am fascinated by the concept of high powered cloud computing. such a service could (and will) be used to run programs such as Adobe Photoshop or high end video editing software on any device. This could be a great boon for home users and small businesses . Also it will leapfrog mobile computing developments allowing low powered phones to perform the same tasks as giant desktops. I see this as the future.

EDIT: I just tried to sign in from the UK on a fast connection (~10mb/s)and it said the latency was too high to proceed :(

I have a great gaming PC anyway so it doesn't matter.

EDIT THE SECOND: It recommends you have a latency of less than 25msec to run the service. No hope there then. I can get about 35msec to a server about 30 miles away. Doubt I'd reach America.
Might be area dependent, or it might have got better in the last month, but it's working for me now. It looks iffy, but then, seeing as it hasn't officially launched here, I consider the last hour I spent playing Dirt 2 and PoP as a demo of the service. I think I shall be using the PC version of this fo' sho
Just tried it and it works now. I was playing Borderlands. Frame rate seemed a little low, but there was a latency warning when I started her up. I'm looking forward to it's hopeful European release. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing if they do anything with that tech demo where they played Crysis on an iPhone.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
jebussaves88 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
So they want us foreigners to try it out now (basically removed the location locks)? Neat.

imnotparanoid said:
on live sounds like a crap idea though!
please dont ditch disks!
On the contrary. I think OnLive is fantastic. I did a lot of research into it for my degree and I am fascinated by the concept of high powered cloud computing. such a service could (and will) be used to run programs such as Adobe Photoshop or high end video editing software on any device. This could be a great boon for home users and small businesses . Also it will leapfrog mobile computing developments allowing low powered phones to perform the same tasks as giant desktops. I see this as the future.

EDIT: I just tried to sign in from the UK on a fast connection (~10mb/s)and it said the latency was too high to proceed :(

I have a great gaming PC anyway so it doesn't matter.

EDIT THE SECOND: It recommends you have a latency of less than 25msec to run the service. No hope there then. I can get about 35msec to a server about 30 miles away. Doubt I'd reach America.
Might be area dependent, or it might have got better in the last month, but it's working for me now. It looks iffy, but then, seeing as it hasn't officially launched here, I consider the last hour I spent playing Dirt 2 and PoP as a demo of the service. I think I shall be using the PC version of this fo' sho
Just tried it and it works now. I was playing Borderlands. Frame rate seemed a little low, but there was a latency warning when I started her up. I'm looking forward to it's hopeful European release. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing if they do anything with that tech demo where they played Crysis on an iPhone.
Agreed. Or even on a laptop would be good. Yeah I found frame rate skips and a fuzzy image, but hopefully that'll all be better official launch time.