OnLive May Come Pre-installed on PCs & Boot Up Without an Operating System Needed

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Over the past week, we?ve been getting a glimpse of what OnLive will look like in the future. We know that OnLive is set to be on 25 million TV and 50 million Blu-ray players / set-top boxes by the end of 2011. We also know that it will be made available on smartphones and tablets through the download of an App.

This begged us to ask OnLive Founder and CEO, Steve Perlman whether he had plans to ship OnLive pre-installed on new computers.

?Some PC makers have come to us to talk about that, and because we have our NDA?s with them, we can?t go and disclose any details, ?explained Perlman. ?What you are describing is a pretty easy thing for us to do.?

There doesn?t seem to be any reason why PC makers would be opposed to the idea, and certainly there is nothing holding OnLive back. It would easily make the service available to hundreds of million gamers worldwide, as soon as they buy a new computer.

Perlman also explained what appears to be some future plans with PC makers.
?Another thing that is a variant on that is we can make OnLive work before the PC really boots up. I think you?ve seen that some PCs can play a DVD or something like that before it boots up. People have spoken to us about that as well.?

This begs us to wonder what OnLive plans to do with this feature. A computer, that with the press of a button, will sign you into the OnLive service? When signed in you would have access to an extremely fast web browser along with virtually any game of your choice. While Perlman obviously appears to have plans for something like this, it?ll probably be a little while before we see these plans materialize.

?The schedule for when these things role out has a lot of things that figure into it,? said Perlman. ?It?s the manufacturers? schedule of what they want to do when their products are coming out, and frankly we have to triage what projects we take on.?
We asked Perlman to describe in a little more detail how a system like this would be utilized. Here is what he said:

?You are used to the instant turn on with something like a tablet or a phone. Imagine if you hit the power button on your PC, and then you just immediately connect.
Even if you have a browser running on a PC, you have to boot an operating system, but the OnLive client that runs on your PC doesn?t rely on an operating system. It doesn?t rely on Windows, Linux, or Java or Flash. There?s really no underlying code. It just has a stand alone, self sustaining piece of code, which is why it is easy for us to port it to things like the OnLive MicroConsole or Blu-Ray players and TVs. A lot of TVs that we will be running on, there is no OS per say.
In the case of a PC booting up, the Intel or AMD processor on it would begin executing OnLive. The beauty of OnLive is that there is no operating system needed in the local device, there?s only an operating system needed in the cloud.?

Since there is no operating system required to run OnLive, it can basically run quite easily on just about anything, with only a few exceptions.
What do you think? Would the ability to run OnLive pre-installed on a PC at the push of a button benefit the service? What other possibilities does this open up for OnLive?

Article by Ed Krassenstein

Hyperme

May 19, 2011
Did EU anti-competition laws suddenly have a good side? Because there is no way this would get past them.

Editplanation: Microsoft got told off for bundling IE with Windows, becuase in was monopolistic or something. This would proabably count as the same sort of thing.

Also, don't games need OSs to run?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Sorry for being the one to do this but, You could play a DVD before you boot up your PC? I don't understand how. :(

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Hyperme said:
Editplanation: Microsoft got told off for bundling IE with Windows, becuase in was monopolistic or something. This would proabably count as the same sort of thing.
They got told off for not giving users an explicit choice, which was a side effect of always bundling IE - the actual act of bundling a browser with an OS isn't illegal (in fact Windows still installs with IE) as long as it's indicated how and where to get t'others from. Bundling OnLive with a PC wouldn't be a problem as long as users could opt out or were given other alternatives. Given that the other alternatives aren't all free I dunno if it'd be a little different to the browser argument, but there shouldn't be anything inherently wrong with bundling it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
Hyperme said:
The OS is in the cloud. Footage is streamed back, input is streamed there.
And you still need an OS on your PC to actually play, i.e. OnLive needs to write their own OS that will support everyone's hardware, not an inconsiderable task.
But their OS can be far simpler then almost anything else out there, the boot up times would become insignificant, not to mention it would run at blistering speeds.

Just the old poor connection problems left.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still dont like the whole cloud gaming thing, its one thing to be able to run a game from your phone but trying to replace a real comp, that just reeks of giving the company too much control for my tastes

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
Mr.K. said:
And you still need an OS on your PC to actually play, i.e. OnLive needs to write their own OS that will support everyone's hardware, not an inconsiderable task.
They can just co-opt a basic Linux kernel and work from there, can't they?
Well since they got their own little console that is probably already done, but to bring all manner of hardware and drivers together is no small pickle, especially because Linux doesn't get much manufacturer love.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
So, they're effectively doing what people were doing about twenty years ago for the Commodore Amiga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.196894-Historical-Computer-Systems-The-Commodore-Amiga-and-AmigaOS]? I love the way that they're presuming that everybody's forgotten about computer history and that this is in any way a new or novel idea.
Novel or not, I wonder; do you think this is a good idea? From a technical p.o.v, that is.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
666Chaos said:
AC10 said:
The day onlive becomes standard is the day i stop gaming.
What you dont like gaming being more accessable? Sounds like the words of a PC elitest prick to me. Its not like this would ever actually effect you in any way since games would still be released for every single other platform.
On live poses many problems to me.
1) In Canada we have capped bandwidth. I would need to shell out an extrodanary amount of money steaming onlive. That is, already above the subscription fee to use the service along with needing to buy the games. This is essentally just adding $15 a month more to play games at all, I don't see the point.

2) Onlive is limited to 720p, I prefer to play at 1080p.

3) I enjoy modding my games. With OnLive you will not be able to do that.

This has nothing to do with accessibility. I don't care if everyone in the world plays all my favorite games. I care, though, when that happening comes at the cost of debilitating what I love about games.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Mr.K. said:
They can just co-opt a basic Linux kernel and work from there, can't they?
That would work. The would just need some kernel to talk to the hardware. And you're right, they're moving into the future with ideas from the past.

Frankly, I'm surprised it still lives, I thought it died out because I didn't hear anything about it.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
AC10 said:
666Chaos said:
AC10 said:
The day onlive becomes standard is the day i stop gaming.
What you dont like gaming being more accessable? Sounds like the words of a PC elitest prick to me. Its not like this would ever actually effect you in any way since games would still be released for every single other platform.
On live poses many problems to me.
1) In Canada we have capped bandwidth. I would need to shell out an extrodanary amount of money steaming onlive. That is, already above the subscription fee to use the service along with needing to buy the games. This is essentally just adding $15 a month more to play games at all, I don't see the point.

2) Onlive is limited to 720p, I prefer to play at 1080p.

3) I enjoy modding my games. With OnLive you will not be able to do that.

This has nothing to do with accessibility. I don't care if everyone in the world plays all my favorite games. I care, though, when that happening comes at the cost of debilitating what I love about games.
1) OnLive is working very hard so that streaming OnLive does not effect bandwidth usage, Also join the fight against bandwidth caps they shouldn't be legal in the first place anyways

2) OnLive is only a year old give it some time it will be at 1080p soon

3) Don't know what to tell you there

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
similar.squirrel said:
Hyperme said:
The OS is in the cloud. Footage is streamed back, input is streamed there.
I love this comment, its simple yet somehow complex, it does the job.

Hurr derp, games will rain out of the sky!