Only Midtown Manhattan Will be Included at Launch for The Division

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Only Midtown Manhattan Will be Included at Launch for The Division

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/917/917599.jpg

"It is a very sizable open-world game."

Ubisoft's open-world, apocalyptic multiplayer shooter Tom Clancy's The Division will be focused exclusively in Midtown Manhattan at launch, according to creative director Magnus Jansen. In a recent interview with The Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/article/tom-clancy-s-the-division-doesn-t-have-brooklyn-queens-bronx-or-staten-island], Jansen explained the decision to omit areas like Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island.

"For Tom Clancy's The Division we are going with Midtown Manhattan," Jansen said. "It is because of the 1-to-1 recreation and the way the pandemic has [happened]. Basically, everything has been hit and there are no more resources because everyone tried to get out. There is no more gasoline in the cars, there is no traffic, you're on foot."

"With the level of detail we have, doing Midtown Manhattan is a huge open-world experience and more than enough to sink your teeth into. It is a very sizable open-world game."

The Division launches on March 8 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. A beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165900-The-Division-Beta-Dates-Revealed#&gid=gallery_5413&pid=1] is available from January 28-31, with all pre-order purchases guaranteeing access to the beta.

[gallery=5413]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They are talking it up a lot, but I'm predicting this game will be just as shallow as Destiny was at launch. Call it a hunch. Also, Ubisoft.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Fappy said:
They are talking it up a lot, but I'm predicting this game will be just as shallow as Destiny was at launch. Call it a hunch. Also, Ubisoft.
Its practically guaranteed. I wont be getting any AAA game on release ever again if this keeps up. What's really concerning me is that it doesn't bother me. I have a suspicion bullshit burnout is occuring for a few people.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm inclined to agree on principle- Manhattan is a pretty big place to get around on foot. But I do hope that the sizable real estate comes along with a sizable amount of things to do.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm inclined to agree on principle- Manhattan is a pretty big place to get around on foot. But I do hope that the sizable real estate comes along with a sizable amount of things to do.
Assuming this isnt bucking Ubisoft's open world trend, there will all sorts of useless shit lying around for us to collect.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Isn't the longest distance, straight line, ignoring buildings, less than 6km? Unless there are some major obstacles that'll be pretty fast to cross even if we can only walk on foot, if we keep a proper pace that is.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
shinyelf said:
Isn't the longest distance, straight line, ignoring buildings, less than 6km? Unless there are some major obstacles that'll be pretty fast to cross even if we can only walk on foot, if we keep a proper pace that is.
Considering its Manhattan, one of the most densely developed urban areas on the planet, if there aren't a lot of interiors and vertical spaces then the developer will have to have seriously fucked something up. One of the previews floating around out there shows a mission that's basically an hour of indoor combat through a hospital and along Manhattan rooftops. If they can keep a lot of areas like that then the game area should be plenty big enough. The subway system alone could give you a massive amount of extra space to move around in that isnt displayed on this map.

Which is what it comes down to, the level of interior detail shown, if used well enough, will more than make up for the small map size.