Open question to new and old members regarding dragons (no dragons, it's about old posts)

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
willic767 said:
i dont care if i get banned for this but FUCK THE SEARCH BAR
strong words my friend, whats wrong with the search bar?
Don't blame the search bar for people repeatedly yelling at you for your posts

I'm not exactly an old member, in fact I've been watching ZP for years and I just got my account this year

if the person has less than 100 posts I will let almost anything slide, they don't know better and thats what we have mods for

but honestly if you create a thread with the same topic, it should be pretty old

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Osloq said:
I wasn't there for the "golden days" of the Escapist
Hot tip: No-one was.

Your question confuses me though in the fact that I can't find it?
Yes I second that and Jedamethis' post. What do you want us to talk about, Mr OP? That people shouldn't spam "Search bar!" any more?

Anyway, I do consider myself some sort of a veteran member, even though I've been lurking longer than I've been posting. I've seen some pretty big things happen (remember the pink lightsabers?), seen a lot of old members getting banned and yes not all changes were positive. Yes the new style of The Escapist is pulling in a wider audience, and yes we notice that on the forums.

But really now, is it all thát bad? It's not like it's impossible now to start a properly thought out discussion, and these forums are still an internet haven for good grammar (yes I'm probably making mistakes in this post, I'm learning every day) compared to other forums. Just pay a little more attention to the good stuff, instead of focussing in the bad stuff. Have a positive attitude guys, it helps.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Old people like to claim their superiority to cover up the fact that they are old.
Don't listen to that "golden age of the forum" crap. There is only one true golden age:

Mar 17, 2009
I don't get it. What am I supposed to talk about? Every other poster seems to have interpreted the OP in his own way, using it as a way to talk about his gripes with the site and not making much sense in the process.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I just wish we could get some serious moderator attention every time a new religion/popular game topic popped up. There should be some kind of auto-flag on any topic that has the word "halo" or "Christian" anywhere in the title. As far as repeat threads go, those are the biggest offenders and easily the largest concentration of obnoxious flaming in the site, in my opinion.

I also wish some of the old people were still around. Mostly, the guys who left. I wanted more Iron Ninja comic, drat yooouuuuu!

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say, like some other posters. The mods do a great job, but The Escapist is only as good as the community. When things are bad around here, it's because of us. Minus myself. Because I'm flawless.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
The Infamous Scamola said:
I don't get it. What am I supposed to talk about? Every other poster seems to have interpreted the OP in his own way, using it as a way to talk about his gripes with the site and not making much sense in the process.
Sort of like modern art.

The Escapist: promoting culture through whining since '06.

Assassinator said:
(Remember the pink lightsabers?)
I have no idea what you are talking about, good sir.

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
Skeleon said:
Old people like to claim their superiority to cover up the fact that they are old.
Don't listen to that "golden age of the forum" crap. There is only one true golden age:
That song turned a lot more hetero than I originally thought it would be, the only Blue Oyster Cult song I've heard before is "Don't fear the reaper" and the "Golden Age of Leather" has certain connotations, or maybe that's just my sick mind.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Osloq said:
...or maybe that's just my sick mind.
Must be, because this is about bikers as far as I'm aware.
You're missing out on a lot of great music if those two are the only BÖC songs you know.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
PurpleRain said:
You can tell who the older members are here. They are not the ones that say: Use the search bar. That fad is dead. They are no the ones with over 10,000 posts. Posts matter little. The older forum members come from a time where this was less of a gaming site and more of a writing place with the target audience of gamers.

The older members have either a lot to say, ripe with logic for we're sick of posting boring and used jokes, or we post little, but it is sweet and to the point. (That or just find the beer mug as a badge)

On your questions of 'Why can't you ask a question if anything similar has been dead for months/years/days/hours(/seconds?)?' is either because it was and is a stupid topic, had a lot of bad in it, or it just wrapped up and is no longer needed. Mind you, this place is a forum, a discussion ground. What is the point of repeating a discussion when you could read the last one and gain all the answers you ever could from it?
When I read that post I imagined a voice saying that out loud, as if it were a speech, and it made me feel proud to have a regulars badge... Well done I guess...

Now for the topic at hand.

For most of my time at this site there have been topics similar to this, about how the quality of post and the quality of the discussions have been dropping, and to this I have to say that it actually have but not by much...
For the most part newcomers, not all of them, will always post things that others will regard as a lower standard then what is to be expected of the average member but after a while they become better and/or they leave and the standards will stay at about the same level.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
I don't know what to talk about either. So I interpreted your post into a speech about repeat threads in my mind. Imagine The Escapist where you could never repeat a thread no matter how old. Not many topics to discuss we've already discussed most of them. And the new members think it's bad to necro a thread that's 1 week old so they usually create a new one to replace it. Some people might not have seen the original and possibly have something to add to it.

About new users with lots of posts. Well as long as they have quality posts yay.

Also I don't know if I'm considered a new member here or an old one I kinda forgot when I started actually posting. But I'm guessing I count as new

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Would it be too ironic to point out that this thread is actually a repeat thread in and of itself?

Ultima228_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2009
Now i haven't really posted that much however i would like to add my voice to this. I am an experiance forumer and i often find that new people to a forum need a nice "friendly" kick in the ass every now and again so that they pay attention and listen to more experianced voices. But that is just my oppion feel free to ignore it or take the advice because the bottom line is you probably have more experiance than myself and its only a suggestion

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
Ultima228 said:
Now i haven't really posted that much however i would like to add my voice to this. I am an experiance forumer and i often find that new people to a forum need a nice "friendly" kick in the ass every now and again so that they pay attention and listen to more experianced voices. But that is just my oppion feel free to ignore it or take the advice because the bottom line is you probably have more experiance than myself and its only a suggestion
The reason I started this thread was to promote discussion from all sections of the escapist so you are entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else who's posted. If you can decipher my ramblings enough to find something to talk about then you've already earned a gold star from me.