OpenCritic is Tailor Made for Every Gamer

Encaen

May 6, 2005
OpenCritic is Tailor Made for Every Gamer

OpenCritic is taking a more user-focused approach to aggregating game reviews.

Read Full Article

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

I'm not fond of metacritic when it's used as a metric for bonus payments to companies, but as a tool for judging games I'm not sure about it can be somewhat useful.
If I'm unsure about a game, heading there, seeing the average scores, then scanning the user reviews is something I'd do.
Granted, I'll usually then head to forums discussing the game too, but for a glance it's useful enough to be worth checking.

It's possible that OpenCritic may be able to develop itself into a similar tool aswell.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
There are two things I'd recommend the site to do. One is to remove number ratings entirely and replace it with a miniature version of the word cloud. Secondly, improve said word cloud by adjusting the colors to show how much that word is used in a positive, negative, or neutral light - While the words "loot" and "story" may tell me these are the most frequent words used in a review, a cloud where "story" is in a bright red and "loot" is green tells me more, in that the story is generally regarded as terrible but the loot drops are adequately rewarding.

EricMcArthur

Mar 20, 2016
"I skew high, since I tend to focus on reviewing games I hope to love." That's quite an admission. Do you also employ critics on your staff who are assigned to games they expect to hate? And others who figure that they'll be "meh" about games? How about this for an approach: go into a review assignment with an open mind and allow the game itself to dictate where you go with the review and how you'll score it.

As for this new site, I don't see how it's different than GameRankings and every other site of its ilk. They average together a bunch of review scores into a final score. And that score is rarely different than all the other averages floating around there. They use pretty much the exact same critics, so you wouldn't expect any different. Why this site is somehow more "gamer-centric" than Game Rankings is beyond me.

Vanilla_Knight

Jun 25, 2015
I don't understand... aren't we supposed to be trying to get away from these arbitrary numerical review systems? I know that it serves somewhat of a purpose, but I mean it does the same crap that MetaCritic does where it makes a 5 star review = 100/100. What's the point of uselessly aggregating multiple differing viewpoints when it has always been better to read people's full praise/complaints and look at actual gameplay yourself?