Opinions on Alienware?

spider_mang

Aug 19, 2008
Hey guys, I was looking to buy a new Alienware PC soon as my old 766 just doesn't cut it anymore.

I was checking out their site and they have a new promo called "Breed". Does anyone know what product they're launching for this? Pretty sweet animation but no info yet.

http://www.alienware.com/breed

CmdrKinslayer

Jan 9, 2008
I wouldn't even bother with Alienware to be honest. Lots of overpriced stuff you can get a waaay better deal on if you just build it yourself.

Unless, of course, you're incredibly wealthy and can throw cash away like that (which it sounds like, seeing that you're looking at a new alienware release in the first place).

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Yea Alienware is overpriced indeed. Your paying a lot for the brand name, just like you would with clothing, and they just insist on putting liquid cooling and overclocking everything. I have a computer that is as good if not superior to that of an alienware that i build for half the price of their best rig.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Alienware is like Monster Cables; you're not going to get anything that's crap from them, but man do you pay a lot for what you get. Unless you absolutely *must* have "the best" I'd recommend going elsewhere and having a system custom-built to your specifications.

-- Steve

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Building your own PC usually doesnt turn out quite as pretty, but I personally perfer to spend $30 on a case instead of $200. Even if you spring for the best case, you probably won't reach Alienware prices.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
As everyone has said, nice but overly expensive.

Build your own. It's quite simple. And fun!

Kagrath

Aug 6, 2008
My friend just bought an Alien Ware, only thing that I found great about it is the case. It vaguely reminded me of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Alienware tried to Gurilla market in another forum I go to frequently. It got pretty much the same response. If this was an honest question, I am sorry spider_mang. Alienware rigs are for show offs who care more about bragging about their computer than actualy using it. Unfortunatly that is a large enough portion of the computer buying demographic to keep that company in buisness.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Not only are they overpriced but ever since Dell bought them out, they've lost one of the things that made them so well known to begin with, the customization options. They really try to push Intel on you(4 Intel systems to 2 AMD systems), and before the Radeon 4870 X2 came out, I hadn't seen an ATI option at all for a long time.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Build your own. Go to www.newegg.com or other such sites and order some awesome parts- make sure they can all live on one motherboard. You can make something that will humiliate an Alienware for the corresponding price.

Much of the money in the industry, and not just electronics, is paid because of the assumption that the consumer has no idea how the computer, car, television, or software works. It's better to build and gain the experience of putting together your own machine. It will tell you a lot about how things work if you look inside.

Crazybuddha56

Aug 10, 2008
I built my own and I found it to be a enjoyable and rewarding experience. Its also cheaper too. Mine turned out great. it can run Crysis full settings.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
I don't think it seem worth it.

My friend bought a laptop from there, and he said it wasn't worth it. Yea it's good, but he could have gotten better for the same price.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Expensive.
Same business practices and components as the big OEMs (Dell owns 'em, after all).
Probably not worth it.
Something about most of their machines offends me aesthetically.

-- Alex