Opinions on Heavy Drinking?

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Kevin Delgado said:
Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate or dislike people who drink alcohol. I've had it before, not a big fan but I can understand why people drink it to relax. It takes the edge off, makes you less tense, more social etc; I enjoy some wine now and then. What I don't understand are the people who get completely hammered and feeling like complete shit the next day. If they're the type of person who cannot willingly stop when they start drinking, then it's somewhat understandable but I'm talking about the people who go around saying "Let's get wasted!"

I live in Puerto Rico, the age to drink here is 18 but where I live no one cares; 13 year olds are getting wasted every weekend and going to night clubs where they don't belong. What I don't understand is the fun of getting hammered; buzzed or a bit drunk is fine but what is the point of getting so drunk you fall around, throw up, can't talk properly and act like a complete idiot? Then the next day all they do is complain for how horrible they feel.

Can someone please explain this to me?
You should try and come to Denmark... the teenagers get hammered every weekend... im not kidding and thier reason is mostly ... "its fun" im like you, i dont see the reason to get absolutely wasted and wake up with a massive headache and a hole in your wallet. But yeah... Denmark was rated nr 1 at some point with the teens that drink most... its sad :/

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
well, i guess there aren't many opinions to have on it.

-the next day you'll feel like shit
-you'll most probably have done something stupid or really embarassing (at least judging from what i have the joy of witnessing around these parts)
-it's very unhealthy (i don't care about alcoholic pancreatitis or stuff like that, but alcohol destroys your brain cells. i like my brain cells. treat yours with respect as well, you have nowhere else to put your self into)
-it's expensive
-you cause unnecessary work for others (read: medical personell; and no, we're not there to take care of people who willingly and purposefully waste themselves. besides, it causes cost to others as well, and takes up precious time, material, workpower and space at a hospital, the ambulance, etc)
-long term abuse doesn't only hurt yourself, but also friends and family

(yes, i (accidentally) wasted myself, too, but i always crawled home by myself, and took care of myself)

so long, grabbing a cold one (stress is on ONE :p )

Aug 26, 2008
I get pretty fucked up most weekends. Mainly alcohol but often I'll throw in some coca or mandy. It baffles me how serious and scared people get when it comes to any kind of drug consumption.

"I don't need alcohol to have a fun time. If you do, there's something wrong with you"

" I don't like it because its dangerous and makes you do silly things!"

"I don't like social events."

Not that I'm defending my addictions. That would be painfully pathetic. Its something people can do without a need for justification because at the end of the day it's self inflicted. Drives me nuts when people ***** about it.

And yeah. I maintain a very highly paid job, I am studying towards a degree in computer science and have a very active and awesome (so much ass) social life.

I'm going to get plastered.

Forgot to mention. Not once have I required medical attention of any kind. I have never wasted the time of anyone in any medical/important profession due to intoxication. Those that do should be fined. Heavily.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The stories you can get from it are worth it.

At the end of it all - we'll have a lot of time to look back and reminisce. Life is about grabbing everything by the reins and seeing where the horse drags you.

You may be dragged through mud, you may be dragged through a meadow - what matters is that you accepted being dragged in the first place.

Not partaking in "heavy drinking", you know what you're getting. You'll be sitting at home, sitting in a library, sitting at a friend's house - events with no random factor. You can not take part and you'll know what you missed.

On a night out, with alcohol fueling you - anything can happen. And I mean anything. If you miss one of those nights you could have missed anything.

That's the appeal I find - plus the fact that I don't get hangovers no matter how much and what I drink helps a lot.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Kevin Delgado said:
Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate or dislike people who drink alcohol. I've had it before, not a big fan but I can understand why people drink it to relax. It takes the edge off, makes you less tense, more social etc; I enjoy some wine now and then. What I don't understand are the people who get completely hammered and feeling like complete shit the next day. If they're the type of person who cannot willingly stop when they start drinking, then it's somewhat understandable but I'm talking about the people who go around saying "Let's get wasted!"

I live in Puerto Rico, the age to drink here is 18 but where I live no one cares; 13 year olds are getting wasted every weekend and going to night clubs where they don't belong. What I don't understand is the fun of getting hammered; buzzed or a bit drunk is fine but what is the point of getting so drunk you fall around, throw up, can't talk properly and act like a complete idiot? Then the next day all they do is complain for how horrible they feel.

Can someone please explain this to me?
Being that drunk isn't fun, but getting there sure as hell is :)

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Eh, it's fun, but that I mean heavy drinking without the hangover (which I've only ever got once at 13) and being sick etc.

I can have fun without alcohol and enjoy nights without it, a lot. But when I do have the rare tipple I like it go slightly mad, but not too mad I end up like some twat on the floor.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
I don't see the appeal (mind you this is coming from someone who's never had a drink) but it's fine with me if you can handle it without turning into a complete ass. Most people don't seem to be able to, though.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Insanely enjoyable. I drink to excess whenever possible just to see the trouble I can get into.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
I'm like you: I understand while people drink and I do enjoy a beer every now and again. But note ''every now and again''. I know people who spend over 70 euros on beer in one night, a girl of 15 who already has been done up against a tree (yes, she really was that drunk), and I've almost lost count of the number of times I've seen people who had to leave the bar/café/club horizontally. Hell, I even know people (that's plural) who have been nearly beaten to death by a couple of boys who were pissdrunk.

But it's not just in bars and stuff like that, recent research showed that down here, the supermarkets think they are doing well because in 33% of the cases, someone beneath the age of 16 (the legal drinking age here) can't buy alcoholic drinks. This is just too ridiculous for words.

On the other hand, when I went to the US with my folks,they wanted to buy a bottle of wine and the cassiere who wasn't 21 yet (wasn't that hard to tell) had to call in someone who was. This is exagerating it. But I do like the idea of people learning how to drive and the responsibilty that comes along with the license, before learning how to handle booze.

It's the existing culture that's the problem down here. When a guy can drink 10 shots in a row and still stand up, he's a hero, but there are enough places in the world where he would be seen as a damn straight idiot. When you walk across the street drunk here, police are barely bothering to arrest you, because then the jails would be full to the brim every weekend.

I don't think that alcohol is a bad thing, there jut should be better checks on it in bars and stuff. Like I said, I like a beer and I don't think that banning alcohol is going to solve a damn thing.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
I love to drink. I'm a beer snob, love trying different types of scotch and wine, and I don't like getting drunk. For me I enjoy the different flavors of different alcohols.

But I agree I don't get the appeal of "Hey let's get wasted!" *next day* "What happened? Whose business card is this in my pocket? Who's Carl?!"

Apr 24, 2008
I used to be a drinker, and I've spent more years bartending than I would care to admit. These are my credentials, and my observations and opinions will follow.

Moderate drinkers are a pleasure, heavy drinkers are a feckin' nightmare. It's not a harmless pass-time. At best you're simply a nuisance to everyone around you, at worst you're an obvious danger to everyone around you.

Heavy drinking is anti-social, makes you unreasonable/irrational, is pretty self-destructive and overburdens our emergency services...which is fine.

I support your right to be irresponsible at the expense of everybody else, that's your right! But I have to laugh at the people who think that they are being unfairly judged for their drinking and their reckless attitude.

It's funny how often the "you're not better than me!" defense has been used in this thread. It's a meaningless statement, and a non-argument. When you're trying to discredit the people saying shit, rather than challenging the shit they're saying...you're out of ideas.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Fucking poison, it's unfathomable how ethanol is legal while many less toxic, less addictive drugs will get you tossed in jail

I've been drinking grandly for about three years, and it's enough. Time for better passtimes.

My dad has been doing it probably since he legally could, i think it's fried his brain, he acts hostile (i've felt that) and generally illogical, like asking things five times in a row in the rudest way possible
He's rater pleasant, or concealed, while sober

As always, educate without fear, don't damn unless absolutely necessary.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Henkie36 said:
When you walk across the street drunk here, police are barely bothering to arrest you, because then the jails would be full to the brim every weekend.
Now that's practically the whole source of the legal issue right there, inefficient or improper public intoxication laws/law enforcement.