Opinions on Smart Clothes

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Fuck that shit. Trainers,jeans/trackies and band T-shirts for life. Yeah, I'm not a fan of suits and shit, they're for businessmen to show off how much cash they make. At my funeral I'm going to ban suits,I may even insist that people attend it wearing a fancy dress costume.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Can't see where you're from OP. English isn't my native language, but I've never heard that term for formal wear before. :p
Anyways, I actually don't own a single item that worksk formally. Went to a funeral a few days ago, during a last minute call(I was 10 the last time I was at a funeral, so I stupidly though you had to get invited), and had to go with jeans, black T-shirt and a black and white flannel shirt.
I felt really awful, like I wasn't taking it seriously.

I'm a metalhead though. Waist long hair, piercings and bad facial hair, so suits really doesn't look good on me.

SwiftRyde

Aug 24, 2013
I love that kind of clothes. I do not feel smarter or anything like that but I feel more confident with myself and I like how it looks.

A shame that all my friends and people I know hates it....

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I'm a big fan of smart clothes. I don't wear it on a daily basis though, not only would it be weird for a student to go to class in a suite but cleaning suits is expensive (not being an expert cleaner i tend to outsource that part to dry cleaners). I'm particularly fond of the three piece suits. (because than you can even take out your jacket and still look pretty professional thanks to the waist jacket)

And also, never wear sneakers when wearing a suit. That's just plain horrible and a waste of a perfectly fine suit. (yes i've seen quite a few do that, i'm not really sure what they were trying to pull off)

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll sometimes wear a nice dress shirt, slacks, tie, and vest combo to school, particularly for presentation. Funny enough I see lots of guys wearing something similar around campus. It's hard to not see why, it's hard to look bad in that dress attire. I have plenty of t-shirts and and a few casual collar shirts, but once in a while it feels good to dress nicer, especially when you get the occasional compliment.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
If I had the money for a few suits, ties, and vests. As well as some new trousers and suspenders, I would constantly wear them. However, as I don't, I don't. Mostly I stay in pjs.

And my view is more that I look better in them and feel better in them than not. It's not a "looking better than someone else" kind of thing. It's more a "this is what makes me feel nice and makes me feel comfortable in my own skin" thing. With me it's either that or pjs. Rarely anything else. Unless I'm being paid for it.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I love the IDEA of wearing a suit. Then I step out into typical 28 to 30 degree Brisbane Weather during Summer and INSTANTLY REGRET IT. Suits have one goal - to look good. I can guarantee you, if you were stranded in some place far away from anyone else, and you were given the choice between wearing a suit or wearing casual clothes, the vast majority of us would choose casual clothes. Suits are worn to be seen. They are not comfortable.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I find it fascinating when people take no pride in their appearance... Unsurprisingly, they also tend to be the ones complaining about the sorry state of their love lives.

I would wear a suit every day if I could. When worn well, a suit is like an instant level-up for your coolness, confidence and self-image.

So.

Much

Awesome.​

Even if we're not talking full suits, I'll still dress as smartly as I can on any given day. If I'm going out in a t-shirt, it has at least got to be a nice t-shirt (aka not an old or poor-quality one) and it'll be accompanied by an open button-up shirt over the top. Or, to put it simply: every day, you should dress as if today is the day you meet the love of your life. Would that person want to date you, based on the image of yourself your presenting to them?

Korolev said:
I love the IDEA of wearing a suit. Then I step out into typical 28 to 30 degree Brisbane Weather during Summer and INSTANTLY REGRET IT.
Summer Suits are your friend. Wonderfully light and breathable without sacrificing any of the suits classiness.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I hate wearing smart clothes (ie suits), mainly because of secondary school. Peanutting, having coats being banned during a winter where it snowed a lot and freezing my genitalia off whilst waiting for the sodding bus to school (shirt, trousers and blazers aren't that warm by the way ;) ) among other things are why I absolutely hate wearing such things.

So glad I went to my university graduation in jeans, trainers and t-shirt (though it was more out of spite than anything else).

Also: I don't have any smart stuff that fits me; the last suit I wore was in 2004 at a famil friends wedding. Those trousers are bloody tight now -_-

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
I completely refuse to ever wear anything of the sort. To me, those clothes are quite ugly and don't even serve a purpose in the first place. They are simply clothes. Do they do the same thing that the clothes I have that aren't as ugly as them? Yes they do, they cover my body, hence there is no point in their existence.

aaurcatherine

Sep 11, 2013
MiskWisk said:
Smart clothes. We all have them. We all have our own opinions on them (well done to me for stating the obvious). Some people really like them and take every chance they get to wear them and others couldn't care less. So, what's yours?

Mine is that I don't like them at all. I think they are pretty much worthless and the only reason that I have them is because I'm expected to. Even then, I only go for cheap clothes because I can not see the difference between an expensive pair of smart trousers and a cheap one. The expensive ones do nothing to justify the cost except "to look good," something I just can't accept as justification to spend money on something. They don't keep me warm, the wind cuts right through them, they aren't waterproof, the material is generally easily damaged, they require special attention when cleaning, they take more effort than necessary to put on and they just aren't as durable as regular clothes. I honestly do not see why people spend so much money on them.

EDIT: Also, as a couple of people have asked, by smart clothes I do mean formal attire.
I strongly concur with your statement,,"I can not see the difference between an expensive pair of smart trousers and a cheap one. The expensive ones do nothing to justify the cost except "to look good," something I just can't accept as justification to spend money on something." and admire too, since my thinking is much similar to yours like I don't know why do people invest lots of dollars on a particular clothes?? In fact I do buy branded clothes but only when they are on "SALE" and if we try to compare the expensive and cheap ones then we can get 3-4 dress in the same amount that we buy a single expensive dress isn't?? That's why I normally used to buy only cheap clothes.
http://saltyliquid.com.au/brand/ripcurl/

Apr 24, 2008
Not my bag. I've been the jeans-and-a-plain-T-shirt guy for too long, I'm not gonna change now.

I do have a couple of items that I do appreciate though. I have a nice leather jacket and also a long winter coat that I really love. I guess that's my version of it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What the hell are smart clothes? Is this a British slang? Are the clothes sentient and intelligent?

In the fall and winter I tend to dress up a bit more because wearing jackets is advised. I like my style, and I've even had random people on the street compliment my jacket and ask me where I got it. In the summer, I'm pretty casual because it's like 30 degrees Celsius + humidity. I'm not going to wear a long sleeve anything.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I usually end up going out of the house in jeans (the formal side of jeans, straight legged and grey or dark blue in colour) a shirt or some variety, either super formal ones or just cotton semi-formals. If its going out for dinner or a posh lunch i usually whip up some brogues and a tie, sometimes a suit jacket if I'm feeling generous.

On a night out at university I'm usually the one in a suit or at-least shirt and tie. I am yet to acquire waistcoats for my suits but I'll get around to it eventually.

So my opinion is I love them, I dislike casual clothes as cheap and tacky and forever changing rapidly in variety and type whereas formal rarely changes and adapts slowly over time so my shirts now will always look fine with the suits of tomorrow.

However formal does not suit everyone nor would I suggest everyone has to wear it, I personally would wear a suit to work whether my job demanded it or not but I don't see why everyone should be forced into formal. The only thing I care about at work is that colleagues don't smell and are not overly unclean, if you're wearing fresh and clean t-shirt, hoody and ripped jeans I don't give a damn.

EDIT TIME: I don't really see the point in super expensive suits, shirts and shoes. It i a great art to find clothing that both looks the part and is cheap, the January and summer sales are your friends for buying formal wear if you're short of cash.