Oprah to India: You still eat with your hands? o0

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Indian friend shared this story with me and figured I'd repost it here as it might amuse a few here.

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/you-still-eat-with-your-hands-oprahs-magical-mystery-tour-of-india-385494.html

Basically Oprahs in India for her new show and hi-la-rious mishaps ensue as she visits a slum, including such highlights as:
-Reducing a father to tears over his inability to provde better for his family
-Asking children of said father how they could stand to live in such cramped quarters and if they are happy
-Telling the eldest daughter whose dream is to go study in england that she should go to america instead cos "its the best" (insert america fuck yeah song here).
-The aforementioned shock that people eat with hands.

As for discussion value since i must include that... How often do you eat with your hands? Alternatively just discuss how you'd react if you were the father/mother of that family i guess.

I eat fish n chips+fast food with my hands, and bread to accompany my dinners, everything else i do with cutlery.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ahaha imperialism. Suddenly Oprah's book club selections make more sense.

On topic: I eat pizza, burgers, sandwiches, croissants, naan + curry, celery, etc. with my hands and am perplexed by ppl who don't.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I just ate a whole meal with my hands; it was fantastic. I pity poor Oprah, who in her wretched existence has obviously never once come across finger food.

I don't know much about Oprah, being a Briton as I am - but I've certainly never heard anything good about her. From what I know, she seems to run some sort of cult?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I eat with my hands... frequently? I eat a lot of sandwiches. Also, Oprah being an ignorant ***** isn't exactly news.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Not surprised to be honest. I do eat a lot of foods with my hands though I find the control I get from my fingers is much better than that of a utensil.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
I don't know much about Oprah, being a Briton as I am - but I've certainly never heard anything good about her. From what I know, she seems to run some sort of cult?
I guess you could call it that XD

She's a talk show host who is immensely popular with middle aged housewives. The stereotype is that they'll do pretty much anything she tells them to. So it's not really a cult, just a fanbase that may as well be one.

OT: I'm not really surprised. Oprah's popularity has always confused me.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It depends on the food, but I tend to eat most food with my hands.

Also this is the only Oprah-related thing I know of.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Mysterious Username said:
Did she at least give them some free shit for their trouble?
Lol no, she went to visit a wealthy indian family straight after.

I'm sure the film crews must have paid a sum of rhupees or w/e to the family beforehand though, at least I hope or that would just make this so much worst then it already is.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
LOL seriously, everyone eats with their hands all the time. Fast food, sandwiches, popcorn...
This is Oprah fail at it's finest.

On a related note, when a Byzantine princess first brought silverware to Italy, the clergy of the church denounced the practice as heresy. "God gave you your food, and he gave you ten fingers to eat it with, dang it!" Forks are a tool of the devil. XD

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Oprahs a *****....
She got lucky and makes sure everyone knows it.
Her celebrity built upon shut in housewives of my country who see her as a god embarrasses me.
and thats all I have to say.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I've ranted before about how we don't need cutlery. Usually drunk, to my friends.

What food can't be eaten without cutlery? Yeah, sure, you might make a mess, but thats fun right? I mean, I drench my steak sandwiches in gravy and then still eat them with my hands.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
CODE-D said:
Oprahs a *****....
She got lucky and makes sure everyone knows it.
Her celebrity built upon shut in housewives of my country who see her as a god embarrasses me.
and thats all I have to say.
Fappy said:
I eat with my hands... frequently? I eat a lot of sandwiches. Also, Oprah being an ignorant ***** isn't exactly news.
Wait . When did ophra become a *****? She gives a lot of money to poor people . She gives a lot of things to her fans . She helped so many people over the years . She has helped share inspiring stories ... Like why the Oprah hate? Is it because she's black?

OT: i'm 100% certain in my mind that it didn't happen like that , and people just trying to male Ophra look bad . She is and will always be an African-American Hero.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
Is it because she's black?
When was her race part of the equation?

I don't like her because she has a knack for judging and demonizing people. Just see the "Million Little Pieces" fiasco. She spearheads hate-campaigns. Not something you should do with that kind of influence imo.

EDIT: Maybe "sperahead" gives her too much credit. She tends to light the fuse however.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
krazykidd said:
Wait . When did ophra become a *****? She gives a lot of money to poor people . She gives a lot of things to her fans . She helped so many people over the years . She has helped share inspiring stories...
Just because you give money to the less fortunate, doesn't mean you have any insight in to the way they lead their lives. If you have the money, it's easy to write a cheque and mail it to a charity and be content that that is your contribution. There's no denying she is filthy rich and has helped people with her financial donations. That doesn't give her perspective or understanding of the struggles of the less fortunate.

Maybe she believed she was asking legitimately sincere questions, too bad it made her look like an asshole instead.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Mysterious Username said:
Did she at least give them some free shit for their trouble?
Yes, everyone got a free copy of her book!

Damnit, I don't even know who that woman is apart from parodies in various shows but she has to have written one or more shitty books.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Uh, I think people are missing the point with the "eating with your fingers" thing. I'm pretty sure that they eat, like, curry and rice with their fingers in India (at least the poor people do). That's very different to sandwiches or popcorn.