Orcs Must Die 2 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Orcs Must Die 2 Review

Orcs Must Die 2 continues its clever matching of two different genres into a fun and quirky title.

Read Full Article

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The game is an absolute blast, it is SO satisfying to kill thousands and thousands of orcs, kobods, gnolls, elementals, ogres, trolls, etc, and about those levels seemingly designed for 2, I just took that as a challenge, I got through all right, just takes some strategy

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Earlier today I laughed with Glee as a figured out the perfect setup for a map that can be a massive headache if you don't know what you're doing. It's just too satisfying to figure out just what you need to turn an impossible level into a wall of dead Orc bodies. Very rarely do I have a massive smile on my face while playing most games but Orcs Must Die 2 is just too much fun, seriously if you can buy it!

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Anyone know if the game supports split-screen?
Online only it seems.

I love the sorceress charm the big nasty monter in one lane then go fight in the others myself. I miss arrow traps but acid is not a bad replacement.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
ORCS MUST FUCKING DIE...AGAIN.

Good to hear that this game is yums. I really enjoyed the first one but have held off on buying the second one. I guess i'll be having to correct that now. :3

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I was a little disappointed that the difference between the two characters is only two traps and two weapons, but I'm still having a blast. Skull refunding is a godsend.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]I was a little disappointed that the difference between the two characters is only two traps and two weapons, but I'm still having a blast. Skull refunding is a godsend.
I got the original game for free via Steam and it was pretty fun, but the skull payment system wasn't very clear for some of the traps. Hearing that you can refund skulls bumps it up several notches on my 'to get list.'

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Fr said:
anc[is]I was a little disappointed that the difference between the two characters is only two traps and two weapons, but I'm still having a blast. Skull refunding is a godsend.
Their stats are different as well however. Sorceress has more mana but less health.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ill just say, if anyone ever gets around to doing endless mode, you will have your work cut out for you trying to beat wave 40.

But seriously, having played both games i dont see any area where the sequel hasnt improved on its predecessor.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
What i don't like is the fact that tha campaign is waaaay shorter than the first one. Still worth the 15 euro, though.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Wait...

Game: Orcs Must Die 2
Genre: Action-Strategy
Developer: Q Games
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Platform(s): PC
Available from: GameStop(US)
I thought it was self-published this time around and available from Steam and Gamersgate? Oh, and the dev is called "Robot Entertainment".

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Amaror said:
What i don't like is the fact that tha campaign is waaaay shorter than the first one. Still worth the 15 euro, though.
At least they account for that by putting in a bunch of orcs must die 1 levels for "classic mode" and having an endless mode

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Fr said:
Sorceress gets the Polymorph Ring and Bromage gets the Dwarven War Hammer.

Both are incredibly powerful, although the Polymorph Ring has the potential to make a bad situation turn into a nightmare.

My biggest complaint about the game was that unlike the first game, traps are not self-sufficient. They require a lot of baby sitting, and often you can't give them the time they require in single player, due to the lack of portals, numerous entries with little to no room to set up elaborate killboxes, and large size. Don't get me wrong, I've five skulled almost all of the maps on Nightmare solo, but it's unreasonably difficult to do so.

The game suffers because of the co-op when you don't have a friend to play with at that very moment.

Edit: The campaign is also much shorter.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Kopikatsu said:
What did you do for the final level on warmage? I'm having trouble 5 skulling it
I set up paladin+archers on both sides to defend against air (self-healing paladin to absorb damage), then spent 90% of my resources building archers and tar traps on the path to one of the rifts, and placed some tar traps around the other path then personally killed all the monsters that came to that rift then quickly ran to the first one after having done so.

My score was worth nothing, but 5 skulls was relatively easy doing this, since the bromage is basically invincible with the right trinkets equipped and the staff kills relatively fast.

There are probably better ways of doing it, but I couldn't figure out another one that could get me 5 skulls on nightmare on that shitty map in single-player. By comparison, it's a complete joke in co-op.

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
My only problem with the game is that it is WAY too multiplayer focused. The maps in solo can be an absolute pain in the ass to win solo, especially when 4 waves are coming at once from two different directions backed up by bigs that are a pain to take down with a warmage, let alone 4 of them.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have played the demos form both versions and i actually had fun with it. yeah i know, why dint i try it earlier. too busy with other games at that time.

anyway, from what i read here is, that part 2 is more a MP focused game and that the levels can be very hard to survive because of that. is it still worth the 15$ to play it solo?

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
I like the story of this game. Yeah it isn't that deep but for level intro's and the chatter in the beginning are quite fun to hear.

Me and my friend are mostly silent when they talk just because its quite funny.
So I disagree with you on that Justin.

But this game inmproved indeed so much that I can't finish the original. I like the trap system in the original more though, traps were more powerful and more suited to bigger monsters.

Here you constantly need to be there and charm/stun enemies that get too close to the rift. And while saying that I'm not even playing nightmare difficulty.
My friend who likes jumping into the crowd and killing everything likes it this way. But myself as a more ranged character has difficulty in keeping the total kill amount even. mostly its like I killed around 25% and he 75%. But then again, he dies more from the sappers :p