Ordinary Players, Extraordinary Characters

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Here's a whole list of badass soldiers, courtesy of Cracked [http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_5-real-life-soldiers-who-make-rambo-look-like-pussy.html].

saintdane05 said:
Didn't Winston's Churchill son serve during World War II with a crossbow?
You might be thinking of Jack Churchill, who carried (and successfully used) a longbow and Scottish broadsword for the duration of World War II. He's #3 on the list I linked to above. But he wasn't related to Winston Churchill, just coincidentally had the same last name.

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
ccdohl said:
Imp Emissary said:
aceman67 said:
Imp Emissary said:
What with that U.N. treaty that could have helped people like him who have got really hurt in wars around the world....
Sorry... but What treaty are you talking about?

You do realize that the UN, regardless of what treaty it signs, what ever resolution it enacts, it all comes down to this simple fact: Any member nation of the UN can refuse to abide by any resolution or treaty, because it is their sovereign right as a nation to self-govern.

The prime example of this is the host nation itself, The good ol' U S of A. Since its founding, the States has not paid its UN Member Dues on quite a number of occasions in order to get what it wanted out of the UN, then there's the second Iraq war, which did not have approval of the United Nations security council. But the US, as a sovereign nation, went ahead and invaded anyways. It all makes for some quite interesting reading if you ask me. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_the_United_Nations]

The United Nations does not carry the force of law of any kind. It requires its member nations cooperation to do anything.

So, don't like what the UN is doing? Call your local politician, and ask him/her if they still want your vote.
(It was the U.N. treaty for people with disabilities, not so very sure if it had a different name, but it's dead now anyway. It was just killed last week.)
I don't see how that changes things much. Well maybe it makes it worse. (Also, I was for the treaty.)

I never said the treaty made people have to obey its rules. In fact in my post I talked about how the treaty was killed not only because "it would give the U.N. power to tell people what to do with your kids" (this was bull by that way), but also the people who voted against this treaty complained that "the treaty had no reinforcement mechanisms".

Good to know that even if there was a reinforcement mechanism that the U.S. could just say they don't want to follow the treaty rules (again we already have about the same rules in the U.S. anyway so, yeah.)

Also, just a curious question, but how did I come off as anti-U.N.?
I don't mean to be rude, I just want to know how that happened. Sorry if I confused/offended you. I did not mean to.
I hope you have a nice day, and thank you for the reading material ideas.
The funny thing is that the treaty wouldn't have changed any laws, it just endeavors to bring other nations up to the United States standards. It was based on our Americans with Disabilities Act.

Funny enough, another WWII Vet and former Republican presidential candidate, Bob Dole, was on hand to urge congress to sign on to the treaty, but every Republican in the senate voted against it.

Ahhhh, Republicans, what a bunch of bile-spitting mutants.
Yes I know about that too. So really there was no reason at all to be against it(that isn't dumb as hell!).
:( I feel bad Bod Dole had to be right there in his wheelchair to see that crap go down.
Separate from the political commentary, I just thought I'd mention that Bob Dole and Dan Inouye are good friends. In fact, they met at a military hospital while recovering from their war wounds and Bob Dole's ambition to run for Congress was what made Inouye start thinking about a career in politics.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Robert Rath said:
Imp Emissary said:
ccdohl said:
Imp Emissary said:
aceman67 said:
Imp Emissary said:
What with that U.N. treaty that could have helped people like him who have got really hurt in wars around the world....
Sorry... but What treaty are you talking about?

You do realize that the UN, regardless of what treaty it signs, what ever resolution it enacts, it all comes down to this simple fact: Any member nation of the UN can refuse to abide by any resolution or treaty, because it is their sovereign right as a nation to self-govern.

The prime example of this is the host nation itself, The good ol' U S of A. Since its founding, the States has not paid its UN Member Dues on quite a number of occasions in order to get what it wanted out of the UN, then there's the second Iraq war, which did not have approval of the United Nations security council. But the US, as a sovereign nation, went ahead and invaded anyways. It all makes for some quite interesting reading if you ask me. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_the_United_Nations]

The United Nations does not carry the force of law of any kind. It requires its member nations cooperation to do anything.

So, don't like what the UN is doing? Call your local politician, and ask him/her if they still want your vote.
(It was the U.N. treaty for people with disabilities, not so very sure if it had a different name, but it's dead now anyway. It was just killed last week.)
I don't see how that changes things much. Well maybe it makes it worse. (Also, I was for the treaty.)

I never said the treaty made people have to obey its rules. In fact in my post I talked about how the treaty was killed not only because "it would give the U.N. power to tell people what to do with your kids" (this was bull by that way), but also the people who voted against this treaty complained that "the treaty had no reinforcement mechanisms".

Good to know that even if there was a reinforcement mechanism that the U.S. could just say they don't want to follow the treaty rules (again we already have about the same rules in the U.S. anyway so, yeah.)

Also, just a curious question, but how did I come off as anti-U.N.?
I don't mean to be rude, I just want to know how that happened. Sorry if I confused/offended you. I did not mean to.
I hope you have a nice day, and thank you for the reading material ideas.
The funny thing is that the treaty wouldn't have changed any laws, it just endeavors to bring other nations up to the United States standards. It was based on our Americans with Disabilities Act.

Funny enough, another WWII Vet and former Republican presidential candidate, Bob Dole, was on hand to urge congress to sign on to the treaty, but every Republican in the senate voted against it.

Ahhhh, Republicans, what a bunch of bile-spitting mutants.
Yes I know about that too. So really there was no reason at all to be against it(that isn't dumb as hell!).
:( I feel bad Bod Dole had to be right there in his wheelchair to see that crap go down.
Separate from the political commentary, I just thought I'd mention that Bob Dole and Dan Inouye are good friends. In fact, they met at a military hospital while recovering from their war wounds and Bob Dole's ambition to run for Congress was what made Inouye start thinking about a career in politics.
Cool.
:) Thanks for the extra info Rath!
It is very appreciated.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Canadian Leo Major in World War 2. He started his career on D Day, capturing a German half track. Then, he went on to single handedly liberate the Dutch down of Zwolle. During a whole night he stormed the city, firing a machine gun and throwing grenades, making the germans believing a whole detachment of the Canadian Army was attacking, causing them to retreat.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
I say old chap said:
Live a life a little more exciting than the norm, even just a little and try to tell people about the things you have seen and done, and they will call you a liar!
Very true.

It's a little sad because it doesn't take much to live a life "less ordinary".

It just takes the will to act.

captcha: thunder storm, hmm... might start chasing some of those, looks like a good buzz.

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
As mentioned above, Senator Daniel Inouye passed away about an hour and a half ago. A World War II veteran who served in the U.S. Senate for 50 years, Inouye was one of the largest behind-the-scenes players in Washington and the most public advocate for the State of Hawaii. I can also personally attest that he was an extremely kind man, who once upon a time was very nice to an obnoxious 9 year-old blonde kid who was determined to shake his hand. Dan Inouye's last words were: "Aloha."

During his career, Inouye was a champion of civil rights, an advocate for native peoples, and a major supporter of military veterans. In addition, he fought hard for funding Hawaii's public school system at the elementary, high school, and college level - meaning that his work in Congress quite literally gave me the skills I use to write Critical Intel.

The Washington Post has a great remembrance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/daniel-k-inouye-us-senator-dies-at-88/2012/12/17/61030936-b259-11e0-9a80-c46b9cb1255f_story.html

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Also, he was a flippin badass.

Farewell, you magnificent bastard.

EDIT: Rath, you're from Hawaii?