Oregon Backlash To Decriminalizing Hard Drugs

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

The saying that the easiest way to make a liberal conservative is just to give them what they want is pretty apt especially now in America. The problem in America is that democrats/liberals want to do shit that makes things worse. Oregon's decriminalization of drugs is the perfect example of this in action. It really only copies another country's policy in intention only and doesn't actually copy the important execution stuff that actually allows the policy to make things at least somewhat better.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
From the opposing view: https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/27/oregon-drug-decriminalization-measure-110-overdose-deaths/

In short: a reported increase in overdoses and visible drug use is often used to argue the move was counterproductive. But that increase could merely reflect a greater willingness to call emergency services when someone OD's.

Researchers say fatal overdoses are a better metric-- and on that metric, the rise in Oregon is in line with other similar states that didn't decriminalise. Suggesting that while decriminalisation didn't reduce usage, it also didn't significantly increase it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
From the opposing view: https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/27/oregon-drug-decriminalization-measure-110-overdose-deaths/

In short: a reported increase in overdoses and visible drug use is often used to argue the move was counterproductive. But that increase could merely reflect a greater willingness to call emergency services when someone OD's.

Researchers say fatal overdoses are a better metric-- and on that metric, the rise in Oregon is in line with other similar states that didn't decriminalise. Suggesting that while decriminalisation didn't reduce usage, it also didn't significantly increase it.
Counter to that broken windows theory.

When you have people who do drugs in public, set fires, urinate in the streets, be a public nuisance, and yes break windows. There are second-order effects to that. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Yes, don't arrest some pot-smoker who does it on the weekends, or someone doing it for medical purposes. But setting fire to cars is a crime, and can get people killed.

And to those that ask the second-order effects are that many middle-class people leave the city, the blue states get less political power, taxes increase to cover missing tax revenue, remote work increases more than it would without criminals, and homeless people on the streets, and the death spiral continues.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Counter to that broken windows theory.

When you have people who do drugs in public, set fires, urinate in the streets, be a public nuisance, and yes break windows. There are second-order effects to that. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Yes, don't arrest some pot-smoker who does it on the weekends, or someone doing it for medical purposes. But setting fire to cars is a crime, and can get people killed.
Setting fires, urinating in the streets, breaking windows etc are still all crimes. And Oregon can still prevent doing drugs in public without contradicting the decriminalisation-- it already has in Portland IIRC. Just like how alcohol is perfectly legal here in the UK, but you still can't drink it in an open container on the underground.

And to those that ask the second-order effects are that many middle-class people leave the city, the blue states get less political power, taxes increase to cover missing tax revenue, remote work increases more than it would without criminals, and homeless people on the streets, and the death spiral continues.
Quite aside from just how absurd this slippery slope gets: it's about perception rather than the actual effects of decriminalisation.

Also, I fail to see what the increase in remote working has to do with a 'death spiral'. Remote working is good.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

The video mentions overdoses and/or overdose deaths (forget which one or if it was both) didn't really increase (or very little). It's that people don't want to be walking around town with tons of people in public high on whatever drug they are high on (the reason why public drinking/drunkenness isn't allowed while alcohol is legal obviously). Also, the fact that even if drug use in actuality isn't getting worse, it's also not improving either.

Give people the actual liberal policies they think they want and you'll see them realize they don't actually want it (Portland city council unanimously voted to repel open drug use but they can't override the state order), especially when you half-ass the shit out of it. Other countries have done this, you literally just have to copy/paste what they did, but here in the US, liberals take the teeth out of all these policies and they at best don't work or make things overall worse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Setting fires, urinating in the streets, breaking windows etc are still all crimes.
Portland doesn't have the cops to attend to those crimes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The video mentions overdoses and/or overdose deaths (forget which one or if it was both) didn't really increase (or very little). It's that people don't want to be walking around town with tons of people in public high on whatever drug they are high on (the reason why public drinking/drunkenness isn't allowed while alcohol is legal obviously). Also, the fact that even if drug use in actuality isn't getting worse, it's also not improving either.
Banning public consumption can be perfectly in line with decriminalisation-- and already is in parts of Oregon. Plenty of things that are legal are disallowed in public-- nudity, sex.

Portland doesn't have the cops to attend to those crimes.

What's the relevance of that to drug decriminalisation?

Point is: nothing is stopping Oregon from having drugs decriminalised, while also disallowing public consumption and all these second-order crimes Gergar identified.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Banning public consumption can be perfectly in line with decriminalisation-- and already is in parts of Oregon. Plenty of things that are legal are disallowed in public-- nudity, sex.

What's the relevance of that to drug decriminalisation?

Point is: nothing is stopping Oregon from having drugs decriminalised, while also disallowing public consumption and all these second-order crimes Gergar identified.
The point is most of these US liberal policies don't actually help and usually cause harm because they aren't ever actually thought out.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The decriminalisation needs to go hand in hand with things like safe injecting rooms, needle exchange and prescription availability of the drug. Likewise rehabilitation and treatments for detoxification should form an integral part of such a policy.

Hang on I need to go and dig out the particulars of the heroin trial we did in Australia like, 20 years ago.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Give people the actual liberal policies they think they want and you'll see them realize they don't actually want it (Portland city council unanimously voted to repel open drug use but they can't override the state order), especially when you half-ass the shit out of it. Other countries have done this, you literally just have to copy/paste what they did, but here in the US, liberals take the teeth out of all these policies and they at best don't work or make things overall worse.
Cool. So conservative are looking to add in all the execution stuff the liberals left out, right?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Honestly, I'm just waiting for the moment Phoenix drops this whole "but both sides / I voted for Bernie" shit and realises that he is, in fact, conservative.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Honestly, I'm just waiting for the moment Phoenix drops this whole "but both sides / I voted for Bernie" shit and realises that he is, in fact, conservative.
Since when is being for probably at least 90% of Sweden/Denmark policy considered conservative? I've literally never voted for a republican...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The point is most of these US liberal policies don't actually help and usually cause harm because they aren't ever actually thought out.
But we don't have very good metrics to suggest the drug problem actually did get worse due to decriminalisation.

Reported ODs increased, which could be down to people being more likely to report. Fatal ODs (a better metric) did not increase any more than neighbouring states where the activity is illegal. And the public consumption angle doesn't undermine the argument for decriminalisation, since decriminalisation doesn't necessitate legal public consumption.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Are you willing to make that admission about yourself?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Are you willing to make that admission about yourself?
:rolleyes: I will happily admit I always have had elements of conservative thought in my worldview - although this isn't saying that much as pretty much everyone does to a greater or lesser degree.

Youe weird crusade to convince everyone (who isn't an outright communist) that they are a conservative serves little purpose except to render "conservative" a completely meaningless term.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
:rolleyes: I will happily admit I always have had elements of conservative thought in my worldview - although this isn't saying that much as pretty much everyone does to a greater or lesser degree.
I agree with this entirely, and from this (correct) perspective, I don't think @Phoenixmgs will hesitate to agree that he's conservative to a degree.

This response from you doesn't really sync with the suggestion that it would be an admission from Phoenix to be conservative in contradiction to support for progressive ideas.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with this entirely, and from this (correct) perspective, I don't think @Phoenixmgs will hesitate to agree that he's conservative to a degree.

This response from you doesn't really sync with the suggestion that it would be an admission from Phoenix to be conservative in contradiction to support for progressive ideas.
Do you see no difference between having elements of conservative thought and being a conservative?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Does anybody besides particularly centrist libs ever fall for this kind of semantic argument?