Organic Chemisty Reveiw

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
My first reveiw and it's... to say in the least an odd one, so I guess I understand if this gets locked or I get banned.
I don't play that many new games because my hard-earned money I think can be much better invested that buying things that when lag occurs makes me feel inadequate so I reveiw the new unit of Chemistry at school.
In short I am enjoying it and the simplistic "C=O is a 'ketone', except when located at the end of a molecule where it is an 'Aldehyde'". It's basic memorizing and labelling and somehow I find it intriguing.
I should say that the short reveiw is due to the fact I try to be concise, and there's an extremely Large amount of Organic chemistry I don't know.
Cheers!
(5 points if you can tell me what this is:)
http://z.about.com/d/chemistry/1/0/0/b/epinephrine.gif
Stupid not working image.I:(

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Adrenaline waas what I was looking for. And it wouldn't be bezene because it doesn't have the cirlce in the middile, it would be cyclohexane.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Anarchemitis said:
Adrenaline waas what I was looking for. And it wouldn't be bezene because it doesn't have the cirlce in the middile, it would be cyclohexane.
cyclohexane also has a circle or ring sytem, just not the double bonds

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
It IS a benzene ring in the middle; it's one of the two Kekule structures...
Anarchemitis said:
In short I am enjoying it and the simplistic "C=O is a 'ketone', except when located at the end of a molecule where it is an 'Aldehyde'". It's basic memorizing and labelling and somehow I find it intriguing.
Unless it's on the same carbon as an 'OH' when it's a Carboxylic acid, or on the same carbon as a Cl, when it's an acyl chloride... I could go on...
Hmm... this is kind of distracting me from my actual chemistry revision... Go procrastination!

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
I have just taken my final exam for my first year of Chemistry at Edinburgh University and I hate Ketones to the very core of my being.

Just don't start talking about keto-enol tautomerism or hemiacetals and I won't have to mount a crusade against you.

Have a super day!

Also if it is on the same carbon as a carboxylate anion R'-C(=O)-O(-) it is an acid anhydride.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Gingerbreadroach said:
Just don't start talking about keto-enol tautomerism or hemiacetals and I won't have to mount a crusade against you.
Can we talk about (full) acetals and ketals instead?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Indeed... let's talk about Physical Chemistry instead... that's much more fun!

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
Nah, Inorganic is where the good times are to be had. Physical is just full of spectroscopy and thermodynamics... Integration makes my head spin.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I must disagree... Quantum Mechanics is where all the 'fun' is to be had... Explaining things from first principles so that the Inorganic chemists can simplify it, and the organic chemists can just ignore it...

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
...Touche.

Actually, Quantum stuff is really interesting, as is particle physics.

If you think organic chemists are bad you should see how biologists deal with chemistry; they just seem to ignore it completely.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I know, I was talking to one; she said that she hated the chemistry based part of the course, and no wonder! All they do is the pseudo chemistry found in biochemistry which is pretty standard chemistry, but with massive groups attached that means drawing out the mechanisms takes much longer than it should (although they have developed many shorthands which don't help it's indecipherability).
I must say that I have been enjoying the Bioinorganic lectures that I've been to though... Marcus theory and suchforth...

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
I take Chemistry and Biology courses and crash Physics (just for the extra info.) and I must admit that they (biologists) really bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the chemistry aspects of the course.

I was using a spectrophotometer to measure the concentration of DNA in solution and they didn't know any of the principles relating to the use of the machine at all (the Beer-Lambert Law.) I knew more about it than Ph.D. students who were supposed to be assisting us.

I haven't looked at any Bioinorganic stuff beyond enzyme catalysis but I imagine that it is quite interesting...

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Ah... the good old Beer-Lambert law... thank God NMR was developed so that we don't actually have to use UV spectroscopy to determine structures!
Well we don't actually get examined until next year on Bioinorganic chem. (I'm a 2nd year chemistry student); so we only get 'taster' lectures (which, of course, no-one goes to, because they're non-examinable) but they're still interesting (especially learning how electron transfer works... forcing geometries so that the metal ions can carry electrons, but still want to give them up, leading massive (1000's upon 1000's of Daltons) structures).
Anyway, what sort of course are you doing? Is it some sort of Natural Sciences course? Or pure chemistry with a few extra units?

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
Pure chemistry with some biology thrown in to take up an inordinate amount of my time. I was going to do chemistry and then try for medicine but now I'm a lot more interested in physical and inorganic chemistry.

I used to like organic but I can't stand all of the short-hand they use. I swear they have a special-secret club you get into when you learn it all and begin ignoring all of the IUPAC names for everything.

How about you, where are you studying?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Ah... is it Acetone or Propanone? Formic Acid or Methanoic Acid? Nah, it gets easier with time, mainly due to the fact that no-one uses names, they just use diagrams and then refer to 'that alcohol' or 'that acid' it's a lot easier, and less easily misunderstood (the IUPAC names get stupidly long as soon as you move away from simple substrates).
I'm studying chemistry at Oxford... should probably be frantically revising for the exams in a couple of weeks time, but it was such a lovely summer's day today that... let's just say not much work has been done...

Gingerbreadroach

May 8, 2008
Nice, I applied for St. Peter's College but didn't make it in the interview.

The weather has been unmercifully hot here; all the time I have been revising.People keep sunbathing on the lawn outside my window while I'm stuck inside with a periodic table, Atkins' Physical Chemistry and a contempt for all of the art students and medics who have already finished...

Also, my revision is never helped by my crippling addiction to FreeCell.