Origin: Make me an offer

Fewell

Aug 12, 2011
I'm not disgusted by EA's attempt to 'invade my privacy,' as many seem to feel the Origin EULA clause is intented to do. No, I'm insulted because I see the clause as an attempt to get me to agree to sell my information for nothing.
I don't think Origin is anything more than a tracking cookie wrapped up in a store with some online DRM thrown in for fun. Well, fuck off with your DRM, I already have enough stores in which to buy your products, thanks, and tracking cookies get deleted by my antivirus as soon as they get scanned. Why do all the cookies go? Because they slow me down and offer NOTHING in return.
If you want my information, EA, you have to buy it. It's mine(and sadly the government's) as far as i'm concerned and if you want to make money off of it, you're gonna have to give me something in return.
If I recieved a few dollars off a subscription to an EA product every month, or some credit in origin bucks that I could save up to use for games or DLC or online passes, then we have a deal. Untill that happens though, don't expect to find me giving it up without even a dinner in return.
So here's the question. Would you feel differently about the EULA clause if EA were offering to buy your information in exchange for credit on origin?
Mind you, my knowledge of cookies begins with keebler elves and ends with the girl scouts so if this clause would offer access to far more information than a normal tracking cookie, an alternate question is, is there any amount enough to be worh the access that EA is asking for?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Valve do the same thing only on a smaller scale, why aren't you angry at them too?
Because Valve is God and if you get angry at God then God sends his army of Fanboy trollolol people at you to destroy you and burn down your house and do vile things to your dead body.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Matthew94 said:
Valve do the same thing only on a smaller scale, why aren't you angry at them too?
Valve don't scan your entire PC, track what info THEY want and then sell it to 3rd party organizations. They track which games you have installed from them or through them and then put out recommendations on the front page for you based on those installations.

Origin is literally going into your machines deepest recesses, taking what they want from your download records, registry and so on then passing it onto the highest bidder.

I don't mind Valve keeping tabs on what I do with Steam and only in and with steam. EA on the other hand are the sort of cunts to track down torrents and the like and pass you over to the police even if the torrent is legit.

Think about it, what if you have precious info on your PERSONAL Computer. Say for example you have a file on there with your kids data to do with their school and so on and that gets dragged into one of their sweeps?

Fuck that.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Arluza said:
Matthew94 said:
Because Valve is God and if you get angry at God then God sends his army of Fanboy trollolol people at you to destroy you and burn down your house and do vile things to your dead body.
Hey! I take offense to that! I only trollolol those that deny Gabe Newell as the sandvich-scarfing messiah...damn it! That's another few months tacked on to Episode Three!

OT: Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on this. Why the hell would you try to use, or worse, sell a customer's personal info? EA, I was okay with you in the past, but you've become scum in my opinion, recently.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Dragunai said:
Matthew94 said:
Valve don't scan your entire PC, track what info THEY want and then sell it to 3rd party organizations. They track which games you have installed from them or through them and then put out recommendations on the front page for you based on those installations.

Origin is literally going into your machines deepest recesses, taking what they want from your download records, registry and so on then passing it onto the highest bidder.

I don't mind Valve keeping tabs on what I do with Steam and only in and with steam. EA on the other hand are the sort of cunts to track down torrents and the like and pass you over to the police even if the torrent is legit.

Think about it, what if you have precious info on your PERSONAL Computer. Say for example you have a file on there with your kids data to do with their school and so on and that gets dragged into one of their sweeps?

Fuck that.
Valve look at far more than games. Look at the seam hardware and software survey, it shows what the most popular programs steam users use.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

To get that they scan a lot more than you think. So know they don't " keeping tabs on what I do with Steam and only in and with steam", it's a hell of a lot more than that.

Nice to see you ignore what Valve does to jump on the hate train.
Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Dragunai said:
Matthew94 said:

Fuck that.
Valve look at far more than games. Look at the seam hardware and software survey, it shows what the most popular programs steam users use.

To get that they scan a lot more than you think. So know they don't " keeping tabs on what I do with Steam and only in and with steam", it's a hell of a lot more than that.

The survey is optional and what data Valve does collect isanonymized, personal data is k-anonymized. Even after all that, if you don't want them storing things about you, you can email their privacy email account and they will remove all records they store pertaining to you.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Matthew94 said:
Dragunai said:
Matthew94 said:

Fuck that.

Yeah it updated my ATI gfx card for me. How awful of them to look after my hardware's software requirements keeping it up to date for me.

I've hated EA for years, so fuck you and your snippy attitude. My original ire toward them was based on how they only half finish games and send them to the shelves broken with empty promises of patches and that started back when BFME2 first came out.

Not everyone is sad fuck online who does things spur of the moment to follow the crowd.
EA is a despicable company and Origin is just the latest in a list of reasons they can go fuck themselves.

That and Steam is up front and honest about its shit, it doesn't hide crap in the EULA and then basically steal your info from you.

So watch your mouth in future.

EDIT:

Seems I'm the latest in the hate train on you bro. Haha.

k7avenger

Sep 26, 2010
You just said "provided you allow them." That means you can install steam, play the games, and not have them scan you. You can't do that with origin. Its not hard to see which one is better. There's a difference between saying "May I, and I am going to."

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Regardless of the steam comparisons, does it really matter how they differ anyway? The fact is, origin takes your information without your consent, enforces strict DRM rules, and might take away the games you paid for if you don't log in for two years. It's a computer virus that gives you game access, nothing more.

OT: And if they want my info, I want 10 million dollars, no less, but maybe more if they offered.

SuperiorityComplex

Aug 15, 2011
To your last question, my answer is yes.

I have lost two different EA games. EA have given me those games, but they have given me them via Origin. It has also (somehow) given me a free game via Origin. I don't know why, but they did.

Since that is the only way I can play at least two out of three games, which I enjoy but cannot afford to replace (yes, even £15 is expensive when you're out of work), then yes, Origin is going to be where I play them. Am I happy about it? Not really. Am I going to kick up the world's worst tantrum because EA gave me a free game via their service? No. It may not be great in the privacy regard, but it works and I'll be damned if I'll miss out on games I've already paid for as a result.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Dragunai said:
Matthew94 said:

Fuck that.

They asked permission.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
While i strongly suspect this is sort of an all purpose, cover our asses, clause in the event they fear say, tracking the hours you play your games or something may turn out to be illegal, it is really worded ambiguously. Keep in mind that most companies you deal with reserve the right to change the agreement at any time.
I do like the idea of making them pay, valve asks for volunteers, but i bet a lot more people would volunteer if you gave em a few bucks off there next purchase. Of course on the other hand I use my internet connection for some semi-sensitive work stuff and honestly, am i sharing that information with EA and their friends.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Stop and think about it for a moment. Why do they want your info? So they can make your gaming experience better for you. So they do give you something in return, it's just that it's a collective effort.
And if you're worried about your privacy, don't be. The information they'd collect from you would just be a tiny speck in a sea of data, which no individual would ever look back on.

Matthew94 said:
Thank you! Basically, it's because Steam has been around for a long time now, even since before The Escapist and when social networking was still up and on the rise. Basically when there wasn't the opportunity to complain about these things in such a widespread way and now that it's been well-established in the gaming community (Steam that is), nobody really cares anymore. And the same will happen to project Origin in the end.

Feb 13, 2008
Matthew94 said:
As has been said, most games do that to a lesser degree but they: Tell you up front, let you opt out and provide benefits.

We're at a point where the legitimate consumer is being forced to give up their purchases to fight "Whatever evil they're blaming it on this week". Now Steam counter that by providing cheaper games, communication and updates. They're still an privacy invasion, but they do their damnedest not to invade more than they have to. (Read the EULA if you don't believe me)

Ubisoft, EA and Acti-Blizzard though? They reduce your QoG without anything in return. That's why people are blowing up at them at the moment, and why they're not blowing up at Gabe.

Simply put: Yes, Steam is doing the same thing on a smaller scale, but it's a much smaller scale, they're giving you something back in exchange, and their "tricks" are open to the Steam forums. There's people in there that would crack snooping devices in minutes.

The rest of them are just sealing you off from your rightful purchases unless you continually let them go through your undies drawer.

From the EA EULA
THE ENTIRE RISK OF SATISFACTORY
QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE RESIDES WITH YOU.