Original 1976 Star Wars Script Discovered by Librarian

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Original 1976 Star Wars Script Discovered by Librarian

Librarian Kristian Brown may have discovered an original 1976 Star Wars script while working in his library's sci-fi section.

When I go to the library it's usually a pretty uneventful affair. I go in with an idea of a book I want, find it and steal a cup of coffee from the complimentary Keurig machine. It's about as routine as things get. Then again, I'm not Kristian Brown. A librarian at the University of New Brunswick, Brown was organizing some of the school's books when he discovered a potentially unbelievable find hiding among the library's collection: an original copy of the script for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/13813-15-Pieces-of-Star-Wars-DeviantArt-to-Get-You-to-December>Star Wars.

Brown found the script while going through the process of digitizing the university's selection of sci-fi novels, pulp magazines and zines. "I was just looking actually for something else entirely and then I just found this unique looking item," said Brown. The script was bound with blue paper, branded with Lucasfilm Industries stamps and dated March 15th, 1976. Representatives from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lucasfilm>Lucasfilm have said that it does, in fact, look like a copy of an early script but that there's also a good chance that it's just a "fan-made" replica similar to the sort that used be a common sight at conventions.

Setting aside questions of authenticity, Brown has primarily been interested in discovering how the script made its way to the University of New Brunswick and how it differs from the one eventually used with the final film. While its exact origins still remain a mystery, the script does include some interesting artifacts of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/george%20lucas?os=george+lucas>George Lucas's creative process. The film, for instance, is referred to in its text as "Saga I" while Luke Skywalker still has his original name of Luke "Starkiller." Brown also confirmed that, no matter what Lucas might have decided later on, that Han originally shot first.

Here's hoping more details emerge so we can find out for certain just how unique an artifact this really is.

Source: <a href=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/copy-of-original-star-wars-script-discovered-in-unb-library-1.3104206>CBC

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
If it is real I'm surprised the thing didn't melt his face the second he opened it.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Qui-mono995 said:
Yeah probably fake. Or I don't really know. Anyway...
I'm really hopeful that it's the real deal. I just love the idea that something this rare and special could have just slipped through the cracks. Really hoping more information comes out soon.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'm afraid HelloGreedo beat you guys to it.

Yeah, don't believe anything that comes out of Lucas' mouth. It's obvious that he stopped giving a shit about the integrity of the films long ago. This is a guy who deliberately calls lightsabers "laser swords," after all.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
This actually isn't the first story I've heard like this to come out of UNB. Back when I attended said school, someone had discovered some sort of prop from some movie. Too long ago for me to remember.

Anyways, the reason for it being at UNB was that they once had a professor or employee of some sort who used to be a MGM exec. Can't remember the exact details cause it was nearly a decade ago, but it does lend some credibility to this discovery.

That, or they make a lot of fakes.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Those details allegedly "revealed" by this possible find have been known for a while now but if this is real it's still cool.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
UNB? Gad, that is one of the smaller universities in one of the smaller places in Canada. Weird for something like that to turn up there.

Small world and all that I guess.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
From what I understand at that early version drafts droids were referred to Mechanicals or robots. I know this made it into the Novelization by Alan Dean Foster.

Torchiest

May 18, 2011
People need to stop saying "Han shot first." He didn't shoot first, because there was no other shot. Saying he shot first is a tacit admission that Greedo even had a chance to fire, which is false. He was blown away instantly before he knew what was happening.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
StewShearer said:
Qui-mono995 said:
Yeah probably fake. Or I don't really know. Anyway...
I'm really hopeful that it's the real deal. I just love the idea that something this rare and special could have just slipped through the cracks. Really hoping more information comes out soon.
Not sure if you knew already, but something like this DID actually happen to the original model of the Death Star.
https://futureofstarwars.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/how-the-death-star-model-was-saved-from-the-trash-heap/

Really fascinating