Original Arkham games actually look better than the remaster

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
<youtube=pEXmZUtzacU>

Just look at that shit...

I mean, in some places the remaster does look improved, but for the most part, I think the originals look way better. What the fuck happened to Strange's hair? And Penguins face?

I was wrong though, they actually re-did a lot of textures instead of just porting the HD PC textures. Catwoman's suit has a new look, and the villains have some new details added here and there. Batman's suit also has new textures, though I wouldn't call them better.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Looks like it uses bolder colors and much better lighting, shadow, and water effects. At the same time, though, things seem a lot cleaner and a little less artistically dark, which I guess may be an artistic problem for some.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
While it doesn't look "worse" by technological standards, aesthetically it doesn't look as appealing.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This is a relief as a PC gamer. I was assuming that the switch to UE4 would bring some major changes to the visuals that I would miss out on, but the changes I see actually put Asylum in a lesser state for me. Asylum is my favorite Arkham game, and the added lens flares and bloom in addition to the brighter and more vibrant colors actually seem to strip Asylum of the dingy, greyscale...well, asylum look to the render. The increased shadow resolution and such aren't enough for me to double-dip on PS4 here, especially with artistic decisions not made by Rock steady being a part of the deal.

Also, I may catch ire for this, but it's true; the remaster can't display at 4K or even 1440p, there's probably an ENB/ReShade/GemFX that can add the color vibrance and lens flares/bloom in postprocess if desired, and it's unlikely that the remaster will have the physx cloth/paper/debris on PC. I guess I was actually hoping that the remasters would knock it out of the park and show them in their best possible "light", taking advantage of the newest iteration of the tech while staying faithful to Rocksteady's vision. What I see here is a questionable upgrade for PS360 owners for the asking price, but hey Warner Bros and all that.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Actually quite shocked at the difference. I much prefer the original "vibe" and general look. I didn't think that there could be such a difference, and a negative one at that.

I think Harley-Quinn looks better though, but the rest looks so much better in the original.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Some parts look better, but in most areas it seems like they kind of fucked up the lighting and shadows. In the original everything has a much softer touch to it, and in the remaster it all looks darker and more stark, ironically conceiling a lot of the details. Joker's face actually looks less detailed here than in the original.

I was set to probably buying this, but I think I'm gonna wait this out until there's some reviews out (of channels I actually trust somewhat).

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Danbo Jambo said:
I think Harley-Quinn looks better though, but the rest looks so much better in the original.
The corners of Harley's mouth have been turned up a notch, closer to a smile, thus making her look friendlier to the viewer. It's a real classic of those "Before/After" photo comparisons, in which it is frequently hilariously obvious. "This is Doreen BEFORE she applied ChemTrale Miracle Goo on her face... " (scowling mugshot straight out of "Cops") "... and this is her AFTER just one tube!" (Radiant Smile). It's an involuntary reaction, we're wired that way.

Also, brighter red lips.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Ugh. Like someone applied a bad reshade profile. The only thing that looks better are those raindrop effects on Batman. The rest of "improvements" ruin the atmosphere completely. Arkham games are so uniquely atmospheric. Especially the first one. Messing with that is not a good idea.

Harley looks like a cute girl next door instead of crazy angry criminal. She doesn't look better or worse. She just looks different. Which makes it worse in a way because people who liked the original model will be disappointed. That wouldn't have happened if the original model wasn't changed. So now the audience is split. And Catwoman looks like a bad wax figure. Definitely less alive than in the original. Just look at her facial features and those eyelashes that look like they're made of plastic. I'm not even gonna comment on Penguin and Hugo Strange.

It would have been better and cheaper if they just ported the PC version to consoles. The original artistic vision seems kinda ruined now.

It seems like they changed most things just so they could have something different to show for the so called "remaster". But almost none of it is objectively better than the original and a lot of it is flatout objectively worse like hair on certain characters and that gorgeously grim atmosphere being stripped from Arkham Asylum.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
StatusNil said:
Danbo Jambo said:
The corners of Harley's mouth have been turned up a notch, closer to a smile, thus making her look friendlier to the viewer. It's a real classic of those "Before/After" photo comparisons, in which it is frequently hilariously obvious. "This is Doreen BEFORE she applied ChemTrale Miracle Goo on her face... " (scowling mugshot straight out of "Cops") "... and this is her AFTER just one tube!" (Radiant Smile). It's an involuntary reaction, we're wired that way.

Also, brighter red lips.
Funny you should mention the 'Before/After' photos. Harley isn't the only one who had some work done, methinks. Look at Batman! His face is now 60% more scowly (and hilariously less nuanced and intense than in the original), and that bone structure... if you put him in red tights you wouldn't be able to tell him apart from the Crimson Chin!

I can't be the only person to notice it! xD

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It's basically different lighting and higher colour saturation.

It may be aesthetically displeasing to some but it doesn't look "worse".

It also looks like shit because youtube.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So what are rocksteady doing, if not working on this? Has WB learnt nothing from outsourcing ports (or remasters, whatever) of rocksteady code to other studios yet?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. You weren't kidding.

A few things looked better. Batman's model textures for instance.

Certainly nothing I'd pay money for. Not that I was lining up to begin with.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
When I saw the thread title I had a nice chuckle, but apart from the higher colour saturation of the remaster, it doesn't look that bad. If anything, I think I may prefer that look.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zhukov said:
A few things looked better. Batman's model textures for instance.
Perhaps compared to console version. But compared to PC version it doesn't look higher res. It just looks like his suit is made from a different material.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I wouldn't pay for it, but I actually like it. I did always feel like Batman: Arkham Asylum was a little...washed out. A bit too faded, with some screwed contrast. I like the new vibe, it ups the Burton-esque feel a bit.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, for fuck's sake, what's the point of all these stupid remasters of recent games? Arkham looks fine, CoD4 looks fine, go remaster some barely playable piece of shit like Saints Row 2, or some obsolete console exclusive like Eternal Darkness.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
You know they've fucked up when the original looks better than the remaster

You should see Bruce Wayne's new hair, he literally looks like a Ken doll.

Apr 17, 2009
Its weird how inconsistent the remastering is; in some shots the work on the fabrics looks way better than the originals, but in others it just looks plasticy. In some the clearer graphics makes things look better, in others they just make everything look fake (see the above images of Hugo Strange...)