Original Solid Snake Voice Actor: "I've Got no Love For Kojima"

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I feel for ya, David; that voice for the Snakes (solid and Naked) are iconic. Good luck with your future endeavors.
That said, when are you going to sneak into Marvel's HQ and make that Black Widow solo movie you had bouncing around already? You can intimidate tem into green-lighting it wit "The Voice".

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Naldan said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I find this disrespectful when it insults the intelligence of the fans. As you said, it -would- have made sense for BB to have a different voice.

But, as you pointed out, this is very one-sided. Hayter could tell the truth and it is very unlikely that KONAMI didn't do any insulting things at all regarding... pretty much anything, but who knows if Hayter is telling BS about Kojima. I fell into this trap again. Sorry.
I hear you. It doesn't help Hayter's case that the reaction to him being replaced in MGSV was a resounding "meh". None of the usual fandom based internet campaigns appeared. It makes him look overly salty. And as has been pointed out, Hayter shouldn't be hurting for jobs. He's also a scriptwriter for some big Hollywood movies like X-Men 1, X-Men 2, and an unused version of the Watchmen script that was complimented by Alan Moore himself.

He's taking it too personal in my opinion, but I wasn't there when these decisions were made so I'm just speculating.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ever have 2 friends who are fighting and you want to be friends with both and don't want them to fight...
Though considering MGSV is garbage, and Sutherland sucks all the balls, have to favor Hayter here who has been super loyal to the series (Twin Snakes being a great example).

But I have to wonder what Kurt Russel Solid Snake would have been, especially since it was based on him to begin with. Id be a lot less sour if he replaced Hayter than the other guy.

Feb 7, 2016
Can someone explain to me why david hayter even matters? His throaty, choking "guh.. Mehrugh geahr" has been the joke of the series since day 1.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ezekiel said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
As a long time fan of MGS, it makes total sense for Hayter to have been replaced as far back as MGS3. Having the voice of the "imperfect clone son" of the original Big Boss be the same is silly. I bet Hayter was kept on due to forces outside of Kojima's hands.
Yeah, I keep saying this. Big Boss should have been voiced by the actor of Solidus.

Kojima not only hurt the continuity of Big Boss by having him voiced by three different actors (MGS4 included), but he also cast someone who barely talked at all. It was so weird having Skullface talk for fifteen minutes while Snake just sits there, saying nothing. I liked listening to the conversations between Snake and his support team and the people he finds on the field. In MGS4, he's just talked to all the time, as if Miller is the brains of it all and Snake is just there to follow orders.
I don't think Kojima hurt Big Boss'canon in MGSV for spoilertastic reasons. Agreed with pretty much everything else you said though. I wonder why Kojima couldn't replace Haytar in MGS3 like he planned.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
Ever have 2 friends who are fighting and you want to be friends with both and don't want them to fight...
Though considering MGSV is garbage, and Sutherland sucks all the balls, have to favor Hayter here who has been super loyal to the series (Twin Snakes being a great example).

But I have to wonder what Kurt Russel Solid Snake would have been, especially since it was based on him to begin with. Id be a lot less sour if he replaced Hayter than the other guy.
I'm not even mad at Sutherland. He sounds like a younger version of Big Boss from MGS4. Also, Solid Snake was based off of Kurt Russel, not Big Boss, so having him voice Big Boss wouldn't make sense because Solid Snake isn't a perfect clone.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Saelune said:

I'm not even mad at Sutherland. He sounds like a younger version of Big Boss from MGS4. Also, Solid Snake was based off of Kurt Russel, not Big Boss, so having him voice Big Boss wouldn't make sense because Solid Snake isn't a perfect clone.
Got me on the Big Boss/Snake thing...but technically Big Boss is retroactively based on Pliskin, since Snake is based on him, but canon based on Big Boss...so I'm still right(or whatever). The thing is Sutherland sounds boring and more importantly said barely 3 lines. If you are going to waste money on "big name talent" then actually use it. Might as well had no voice actor and make him fully silent.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Saelune said:

Got me on the Big Boss/Snake thing...but technically Big Boss is retroactively based on Pliskin, since Snake is based on him, but canon based on Big Boss...so I'm still right(or whatever). The thing is Sutherland sounds boring and more importantly said barely 3 lines. If you are going to waste money on "big name talent" then actually use it. Might as well had no voice actor and make him fully silent.
Big Boss was actually based off of Sean Connery for his Metal Gear appearance, not Kurt Russell. Again, the imperfect clone thing.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I don't know, I remember him singing praises for Kojima's artistic insanity back when MGS4 was released. But I get it; a job is a job and especially a job that you feel has defined not just your career, but your art as well.

I never had a problem with replacing Hayter for Big Boss, it made sense to me and his performance in MGS3 is very uneven, compared to the other titles. He's Solid Snake to me and he killed it in Guns of the Patriots.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
EHKOS said:
He's whining like a ***** about it and I've been waiting to yell on the internet about it.
It's not Big Boss, it wouldn't make sense. Honestly I would have preferred Naked Snake to be voiced differently as well.
I mean, BB wasn't played by Hayter in 4. "I have no love for the man who created the roll I worked on and the games I starred in" sounds like a tantrum to me.
"But IIII wanna play Big Boss! He's my character!" His voice may be iconic, but it certainly wasn't GOOD. Now that bit is my opinion, but I never really liked the silliness factor besides the gags. The VA performance of most of the Metal Gear games is campy, even when it shouldn't be.

This is coming from someone who loves 3 and TPP to death, I even have a Diamond Dogs patch on my jacket shoulder.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Hayter's voice was iconic, but it was basically a running joke. If he could have had Kurt Russell then it would have been perfect. I mean, the character is based on characters already played by Kurt Russell.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Wow. Entitlement much?

Sorry to say, I find his "acting" generally horrible. So much ham.

Might have been OK in the earlier games but I can see why Kojima wants him replaced in MGSV with a real actor.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
deadish said:
Wow. Entitlement much?

Sorry to say, I find his "acting" generally horrible. So much ham.

Might have been OK in the earlier games but I can see why Kojima wants him replaced in MGSV with a real actor.
Voice acting is acting and bluntly, a lot of A-listers don't know how to do it.

*cough* Dinklage *cough*